www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 12th, 2014, 18:47   #196
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD

that is a given, the entire purpose of going taller skinnier is to get less turns per mile.....you can easily figure out how many less turns per mile compared to stock the gearing change gives you.....

Here is the thing that muddies the water here, every odo has a built in error usually high showing more miles than you actually have traveled.... So you must always before you make any calculations must figure out the standard error in the odo by design. Then take that data to figure out what the change in gearing gives you.....

Then take that data to come up with a number to multiply the displayed traveled distance by to get the actual traveled distance. Once you have actual traveled distance of the tank divide by the amount of fuel the car takes to refill....

Then wala! you have your actual consumption number...
Old September 12th, 2014, 20:26   #197
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Or if you object to fiddling with the numbers at each fill-up, do it the elegant way; install a pulse frequency interface in the VSS line, calibrate the odo, then finally independently calibrate the speedo by reindexing the needle. An $85 solution and well worth it (to me anyway) to not have to use correction constants at fill-up and put up with an inaccurate speedo.
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 18:53   #198
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell View Post
Or if you object to fiddling with the numbers at each fill-up, do it the elegant way; install a pulse frequency interface in the VSS line, calibrate the odo, then finally independently calibrate the speedo by reindexing the needle. An $85 solution and well worth it (to me anyway) to not have to use correction constants at fill-up and put up with an inaccurate speedo.
I used to use a Garmin 700 series as the speedo & odo(the 710 is the only model that gives miles and tenths of a mile on the clock so is perfect to figure out actual miles traveled per tank). I used it every day for ~3 years attached to my display over the speedo before I settled on the larger screen 1400 series units I use now.... EcoRouteHD connected units can give miles and tenths when connected. But when not connected they round the miles....

Today I have a Garmin 1490LMT with the ECO-RouteHD OBD-II connected to the gps suctioned to the display. I use it set to speedo, engine water temp, boost, throttle % & rpm so I have the exact mph all the time without worry of speedo or odo error.....I have a 1450LMT I use for maps attached to one of the air vents.... These 5" display models really make the displays, maps ect.... easy to read, compared to the 4.3's!

I have played with many Garmin models bought cheap off of craigslist over the last ~6 years. I bought the first garmin I ever got on craigslist, lucked out when I had no clue what the difference was from one series to the next with a top of the line 700 series for cheap. It was a 710 with traffic that needed the battery wire fixed, it appeared to have a bad battery. Took it apart only to find that one of the battery wires had frayed. Fixed that returning normal 5 hour battery function. Used it every day for ~3 years as my speedo and odo then sold it along with the one's I no longer needed there. The 710 was one of the best most equipped models ever sold by Garmin. I put it on craigslist at what I thought was a outrageous price hoping not to sell it. But to my surprise it sold in less than a week for exactly what I was asking! I should have asked more.....

I got more when I sold the 710 than I had actually paid for the other ~7 I have bought & sold put together. I actually have made a few dollars in playing with the different models and the switches from one to the other.

I have had a 255W, two 700s(710 & 760), a couple of 1200 ( a 1250 & 1290), a couple of 1300s(1350 & 1390) and four 1400 series units....

I like the the Nuvi 1490 for the larger screen which is easier to read at a glance. I would not have thought that 0.7 inch in screen size would have made that much of difference but it really does make it easier to read.!..
Old September 15th, 2014, 12:32   #199
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmike1 View Post
i just bought a 96 Passat TDi, and it is getting 52MPH highway!
I went on a 900 mile trip on one tank of fuel. WOW am I impressed!
52MPH, impressive!
'15 Passat SE M6 - Sold back 12/22/16
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 18:02   #200
Brandon1189

Default quick question

What is the vent trick? I just purchased a passat tdi recently
Brandon1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 11:25   #201
Was a fordie
Veteran Member

so its safe to put 44 lbs of air in the tires?
Old March 15th, 2016, 12:19   #202
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was a fordie View Post
so its safe to put 44 lbs of air in the tires?
Check the side of your tires for the max pressure, then go with what it says.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 13:03   #203
Was a fordie
Veteran Member

rgr will do that