www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old March 20th, 2010, 09:45   #1
ks-tdi

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Default Changing air filter in 2009 Jetta

Either I am blind or there is no mention in any of the VW manuals about when or how to change the engine air filter. Yea I don't have really a "how to question" but I thought I could check the service booklet to determine when the dealer should have done this during one of my 3 free oil changes. I know they did not make mention of changing it recently at 33K miles so I am assuming it never has been replaced. Any thoughts from someone who has better eyes than I have??
ks-tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:25   #2
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

The only thing I saw in the Warranty and Maintenance guide was a mention at 60k miles or one year after last change. I will probably change mine annually or with each oil change at 10k,20k,30k............ I'm thinking I read somewhere that it called to be changed every 20k.

Dweisel

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:46   #3
adjat84th
Veteran Member

6y/60k miles according to the bentley manual

adjat84th is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 13:40   #4
ks-tdi

With your comment about 60K miles, I was able to find it in the actual owners manual. Thanks. That sure seems like a very long time. Since it has not been serviced yet I will be changing this weekend.
Old March 20th, 2010, 18:22   #5
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

FYI, in suburban DC, at 21k, mine appeared to be rather dirty (can't say "clogged"), I guess from all the sooty salty dust from the heavy snows we had. The pre-filter looked pretty nasty, and I couldn't see a bright flashlight through it.
No noticeabl echange in performance or mileage after the change. I'l probably continue to change it every 20k miles.

Is it really true that the gasket on the air filter is a "one time compression" and shouldn't be opened up for inspection? I find that hard to believe.
Old March 20th, 2010, 18:31   #6
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Prior to the 09 models it was 40,000 miles for the PD engined MKV cars. Comparing them to farm tractor filters it would seem like they could last a lot longer than the specified service interval.

That said, I change mine each 40,000 miles, just like the book says. YMMV.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.

Last edited by 40X40; March 20th, 2010 at 22:36.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:23   #7
dweisel
Veteran Member

The service manual also states 1 year. Change intervals are also going to be determined by the conditions you run in. Dusty rural roads are going to make a filter dirtier quicker than most other conditions.

Dweisel

Old March 21st, 2010, 09:02   #8
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): CR Free
Fuel Economy: 93 MPGe

My maintenance manual says at 60,000mi and at every 6 years, regardless of miles driven.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:35   #9
dweisel
Veteran Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro
My maintenance manual says at 60,000mi and at every 6 years, regardless of miles driven.
Page 41 Service at 60,000 miles or one year after last service,whichever occurs first.

I guess that means the first air filter is good for 60,000 miles and then service annually after that. At least thats if its to be taken literally. I'll be doing mine once a year whether it needs it or not. Same on the fuel filter,once a year whether it needs it or not.

Old March 21st, 2010, 11:57   #10
ks-tdi

Dweisel...

OK maybe this is not as easy as I thought. I have all the screws loosened up but the top lid does not want to break free. What am I missing??
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:14   #11
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-tdi
With your comment about 60K miles, I was able to find it in the actual owners manual. Thanks. That sure seems like a very long time. Since it has not been serviced yet I will be changing this weekend.

You have 60,000 miles on your car already? Bring it to the GTG next month and someone will be glad to help you change it.

Look in the Mid-west forum for the DCOTC GTG.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:20   #12
ks-tdi

I guess that why real mechanics have good lighting in their garages. Didn't see those rear screws. With those out it does make a difference.
Old March 21st, 2010, 13:06   #13
dweisel
Veteran Member

Quote:
I guess that why real mechanics have good lighting in their garages. Didn't see those rear screws. With those out it does make a difference.
Don't feel bad I did the same thing the first and second time I checked it out. Only its not the light. There is something like 8+ screws holding it secure.

Dweisel

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:25   #14
Jettawolfs98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/38/30

Quote:
Same thing happened to me yesterday, when I was trying to take the cover off, those rear screws are hiding very well.

I got a new one after 12k miles, the old one was just dirty not bad but 60k miles is way too much I think.
Maybe every 20k miles is ok but after this long winter, no way.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:49   #15
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Either I am blind or there is no mention in any of the VW manuals about when or how to change the engine air filter. Yea I don't have really a "how to question" but I thought I could check the service booklet to determine when the dealer should have done this during one of my 3 free oil changes. I know they did not make mention of changing it recently at 33K miles so I am assuming it never has been replaced. Any thoughts from someone who has better eyes than I have??
This might be counter intuitive, but with oem recommendations @ 40,000 miles, I have been changing air filters (MK IV) @ 60,000 miles

Actually a "used" oem air filter filters the air better than a new one. Obviously, you don't want the air filter to be jammed clogged. Another thing is since you have changed the air filter early (@33k) with latest oem recommendation of 60,000 miles, it would be best not to yield to temptation and unscrew the air box (to check) until the next time you decide to change the air filter ( again oem recommendation in another 60,000 miles) When you unseat and reseat the silicon air filter sealing material , you increase the chances of creating a leak. This of course allows more of LESS filtered air in, aka DIRT/silicon particles.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote