www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old April 5th, 2010, 19:18   #16
Doka TDI

TDI(s): 05 & 06

What do you need to do to get the ALH to work at 50 degrees? I thought they didn't work that way due to the oil pump needing to be submersed.
Doka TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:58   #17
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default ALH oil pan and pickup tube for the oil pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doka TDI
What do you need to do to get the ALH to work at 50 degrees? I thought they didn't work that way due to the oil pump needing to be submersed.
The ALH engine will bolt right up to a 1.6 Diesel tranny which lays it over to the 50 degree angle.

Next, the oil pan and oil pickup tube/strainer have to be modified accordingly.

When I have the time, I'll post a photo of my oil pan. Basically, I cut the oil pan (ALH pan) off just below the mating flange leaving about 2 inches. Then, using 1/4 inch sheet aluminum, fabricated the ends, top and bottom to mimic the oil pan from a 1.6 diesel. Also, there needs to be a brace welded to the oil pan for exhaust support if you intend to go with the OEM configuration. And, of course there needs to be an oil drain hole and fill hole.

Hope this helps!
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:18   #18
markward
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 29.25 mpg over 7200 mile trip.

Andy, I uploaded some pictures of my upgraded carrier bars over at The Samba. I am definitely going to add a 3rd mount at the timing cover end of the engine to limit the up and down travel. Here is a shot of the ALH at 50 degrees for those that are watching your thread. mark

Old April 8th, 2010, 19:03   #19
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Gees, your oil pan on the left side looks almost identical to mine. Unfortunately, as I was telling you in a PM, I caused my welder to goof. The right side of the new modified pan is too high ... the bottom is not parallel with the ground. So, I'll be getting it "re-modified" next week!

Yes, I saw the pics over at Samba... good job on the motor mounts!
Old April 8th, 2010, 19:26   #20
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default Wiring diagram

This is page 1 (left side) of the modified ALH wiring harness diagram. There are some of the components cut off on the right side.... sorry about that! This is on legal size paper prepared in Excel. Only a few wires are drawn in for illustrative purposes.

This is page 2 of the modified ALH wiring harness diagram. The fuses and connection points (connectors) are referenced per the Bentley Manual schematics. The numbers with circles are splices. This is a scanned legal sheet size for better observation. I have pages and pages of notes to backup the diagram. Notice I am using two aftermarket fuse panels. The circuits in the pass thru panel are only hot when the key is on. The other fuse panel is always hot. Notice, the fuses are numbered per the Bentley manual (same circuits).

This schematic will serve as a reference for any future mods, trouble shooting, etc.

Here is just a small indication of the detail for one simple but very important relay.

Relay 109 and associated Circuits (you will not find this info, as such, in the Bentley)
Located at Position 12 in the upper relay panel
Relay 109 is identified in the wiring schematics as J317, Power Supply is from Terminal B+ (hot at all times) with power activation to the ECU when the key is in the "ON" position.

Power Circuit to Relay 109
1. Power (6.0 size red wire) comes from Fuse S176 (110amps) at the plastic box on battery to Threaded Connection 500 at the relay plate -1- (30).
2. From the Relay Plate, at Connection 501 the power (6.0 size red wire) goes to Splice A32
3. From Splice A32, the power (4.0 size red wire) goes to Terminal 2/30 of Relay 109

Relay Circuit (activated when the Ignition is turned on)
1. Connection 9/85 goes to Blue Connector T10h/8 on to ECU at T121/18
Note: there is not a #2 in this series

Power Circuit away from Relay 109
1. Power away from Relay 109 is via 4.0 Blue Wire to Splice A71
2. At Splice A71, there are three circuit branches (A, B, & C, my terminology)
Circuit - A. 1.5 Wire goes to Fuse 34 (10 amp)
Circuit - B. 4.0 Wire goes to Fuse 32 (30 amp)
Circuit - C. 1.5 Wire goes to Fuse 43 (10 amp)

Circuit A (with two branches) ........ engine operation functions
From Fuse 34 goes to Splice 100, first branch provides power to: MAF (G70), Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve (N75), EGR Vacuum Solenoid Valve (N18) and Change-over Valve for intake manifold flap (N239)
Note: tied to this same circuit, is another circuit that is a 1.0 size wire from connection 6/87 of the GP relay. The second branch, Splice 100 goes to the 14 Pin Connector at T14a/6 on to Cold Start Injector (N108)

Circuit B (with two branches)
From Fuse 32 goes to Splice B168, first branch (4.0 wire) goes to Brown Connector point T6/4 on to splice D74 and provides power to: ECU at T121/1 and T121/2 via the two branches at Splice D74. The second branch goes to the 10 pin connector at the Injection Pump (G149), connection T10f/5

Circuit C (with three branches)
From Fuse 43 goes to Splice A155, the first branch goes to Clutch Vacuum Vent Switch (F36). The second branch goes to Brown Connector at T6/6 with double wire of which one goes to a 53 Relay J359 for Low Heat Coolant GP and the other goes to the Positive Crankcase Ventilation Heating Element (N79). The third branch goes to the Brake Vacuum Vent Valve Switch (F47)

Note: The Splice numbers are in reference to the Bentley Manual wiring schematic terminology!

Last edited by AndyBees; October 28th, 2011 at 20:59. Reason: Re-post photos and add info
AndyBees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:58   #21
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default TDI cluster into the Vanagon cluster slot!

Preparing the TDI Cluster to install in the place of the Vanagon Cluster is the next aspect of the project.

Here is a photo of what the finished job will look like... from rempel_k at Yahoo Groups, TDI Conversion. There is a pretty good write-up at TDI Conversion with about 27 photos. I plan to take pics of my Cluster Conversion as it unfolds.
Old April 12th, 2010, 21:04   #22
jjordan11
Veteran Member

Nice picture, that looks very clean. Well all this talk about Vanagon diesels and I was forced to go do something I've wanted to for a while. Bought a 1982 Westy Diesel (converted to a jetta 1.8 gasser). I have an ahu that I'll be putting into it, I probably won't do a writeup on it though, but I'll ask some questions later .

Jon
Old April 12th, 2010, 21:55   #23
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees
Preparing the TDI Cluster to install in the place of the Vanagon Cluster is the next aspect of the project.

Here is a photo of what the finished job will look like... from rempel_k at Yahoo Groups, TDI Conversion. There is a pretty good write-up at TDI Conversion with about 27 photos. I plan to take pics of my Cluster Conversion as it unfolds.
Get yer dremel ready!!! That looks very finished. Kudos to rempel_k at Yahoo Groups, TDI Conversion!

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:47   #24
markward
Veteran Member

Andy, the picture of the modified vanagon cluster is sweet. What are you going to use for a speed reference? I went old school and am using the Vanagon cluster. I am sure you can come up with a speed reference signal to drive the speedo and input for the ECU, but just wonder what you had in mind. mark
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:57   #25
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default Speed sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxsr
Andy, the picture of the modified vanagon cluster is sweet. What are you going to use for a speed reference? I went old school and am using the Vanagon cluster. I am sure you can come up with a speed reference signal to drive the speedo and input for the ECU, but just wonder what you had in mind. mark
I'm looking at two options with repect to speed reference. I have the VSS sensor (geared device that come out of the VW MK4 tranny). It is a two-piece device that can be broken down to a smaller more workable unit. Also, it appears that the Vanagon speed-O-cable can be used to turn it. One thing I've not been able to determine is the number of revolutions per mile for the MK4 VSS. The Vanagon speed-O-cable rotates about 800 revs per mile ... depending on tire size.

Secondly, I'm looking at the same method you used with your Conversion project. The junk yard run last weekend yielded a Vanagon speedometer that I thought to be already taken from the junker. Someone had removed it and placed it on the floor behind the middle seat.

I'm thinking, either approach will require the use of a Dakota Digital (universal signal interface unit) to fine tune the final signal.

The Dakota Digital (model SGi-5) is priced at $79.95.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:18   #26
markward
Veteran Member

Andy, My VSS speed sensor on the back of my stock vanagon is suitable for a speed reference for the ecu and cruise control, but is about 30 mph off in the VAG COM. The engine actually ran better without the speed reference to the ECU. Once I added the sensor, the engine developed a stutter on deceleration that required the "hammer" mod to solve. The cluster upgrade is very nice, but could add a lot of time to the project. I am watching, mark
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:44   #27
SrSapo

TDI(s): Have 3 TD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees
Power steering in the non-Westy '84, would you do it? I have the rack/pinion and of course there is a pump on the TDI engine!

So, anyone have thoughts on this?
Andy, I ran across a trick self contained power steering unit that I am planning to put in my van. Its electric and installs quickly. It's around $600 bucks, but for the ease of install I think its worth it. A couple of the guys on another forum installed them and love um.

http://www.ultimate-engineering.co.u...rsteering.html
Volkswagen T3/T25 Power Assisted Steering Kits
This is a road speed sensitive, electric power steering system for your Volkswagen Transporter. The kit is relatively straight forward and can be fitted in around 4 hours start to finish. No need for pipes, pulleys, pumps or hydraulic steering racks!
SrSapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 19:28   #28
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default ALH Cluster usage

[quote=AndyBees]Preparing the TDI Cluster to install in the place of the Vanagon Cluster is the next aspect of the project.

[/quote

Okay, after laying the ground work and preparing to do the Cluster as per rempel_k at Yahoo Groups, TDI Conversion (results per the above photo of the ALH cluster in the vanagon), I've decided to go another direction.

Yesterday/last night, I did a lot of measuring, ciphering, studying, marking, and more measuring to finally determine that the ALH Cluster can be mounted in the center of the Vanagon Cluster housing.

Of course, this is going to require close measuring and cutting to make the necessary "hole" for it to fit.

Once it is finished, I'll post the photos and step by step procedure!
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:25   #29
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrSapo
Andy, I ran across a trick self contained power steering unit that I am planning to put in my van. Its electric and installs quickly. It's around $600 bucks, but for the ease of install I think its worth it. A couple of the guys on another forum installed them and love um.

http://www.ultimate-engineering.co.u...rsteering.html
Volkswagen T3/T25 Power Assisted Steering Kits
This is a road speed sensitive, electric power steering system for your Volkswagen Transporter. The kit is relatively straight forward and can be fitted in around 4 hours start to finish. No need for pipes, pulleys, pumps or hydraulic steering racks!
That's cool! however if it's a worm gear how do you steer the car in the event of an electrical failure? Yikes!
Old May 4th, 2010, 21:16   #30
PJDiesel

Lightbulb Timing Marks

Andy, I noticed that you are using the same bell housing that my son and I are using on our '82 Westy TDI conversion. We are using an AHU engine where you are using an ALH, but I suspect we are having a problem that you delt with.

When I put the flywheel on the crankshaft then put the bell housing on, the fly wheel timing mark does not line up with the timing inspection port pointer in the bell housing. It looks like it is about 90 degrees off.

I am thinking I will set our engine to TDC using an old AHU bell housing we have in the shop, then put the Vanagon bell housing on and scribe a mark on the fly wheel and pressure plate that line up with the Vanagon inspection port pointer.

Having an accurate way to line up TDC will be critical for future timing belt changes.

Did you have this problem and if so, how did you solve it?