www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 12th, 2010, 18:49   #1
Vanigh

Question Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor

I had a CEL for the last 2-3 days, i connected the VAG-COM the reading is below

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-012-AGR.lbl
Part No: 038 906 012 CP
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G000SG 2839
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 00066

1 Fault Found:
16502 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Signal too High
P0118 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

My Question is

1- How Easy is it to replace this sensor?
2- Where is it Located?
3- How much does it cost?
4- Should i take my car to the stealer ship for repair or a mechanic can fix it?

Jetta TDI 2001 Manual
Vanigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 19:46   #2
sullyTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42+

Costs: $15 - $34 here http://idparts.com/catalog/advanced_...ds=temp+sensor

Located: Below and to the back of the Vacuum pump. (drivers side end of the valve cover)

Never installed one before

DO NOT TAKE TO THE DEALER!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------
98 TDI Beetle, Red, 5 Speed
Sprint 520's, RC3, Sachs Clutch, Muffler Delete,

Custom Side Markers, Euro Headlight Switch, Euro Rear Fog, OEM 1.9L TDI Emblem,

Mobil 1 0w40, MANN Filters,

Last edited by sullyTDI; March 12th, 2010 at 20:35.
sullyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:59   #3
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

Do a search. On my 2002 Beetle it was very simple and easy. Took all of about five minutes.
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:25   #4
CoolAirVw

TDI(s): Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40

Pull the clip. Have the new o-ring ready on the sensor with some kind of Pick tool to yank out the old o-ring. Then pull out the sensor and o-ring quickly, then reinstall the new one quickly.

Point here is to try to loose as little antifreeze as possible.
Richard. ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating. ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions. ASE Certified for Passenger Car Light Diesel Engine.

Now offering Malone Tunes!..............http://www.kansascitytdi.com/
CoolAirVw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:29   #5
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

Just beware that the original o-ring likes to stay inside the sensor mounting flange. Use a small finger or needle nose pliers to remove it, IF it does not come put with the original sensor.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:00   #6
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Here is a picture:

Of course quite a bit of stuff is removed to get to it.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 13:38   #7
jonmcgarry

First thing to remember have some g12 coolant (pink/red) at the ready I changed my sensor the other day it was dropping to minus 9c every now and again then went back up .The sensors location is right across from your catalyst converter on my passat 2002 tdi. The sensor itself comes out towards the left unclip the sensor wiring first the there is a clip facing downwards. Use a flathead to pop this off, be careful if u don't have another. At this stage your ready to take the sensor out the flow of fluid is quite a bit . Once you take out the sensor you will find the o ring seal inside the housing leave it in if you don't have one. I had the sensor + o-ring + clip at the ready I some how managed to loose the o-ring on the new one I used the old one anyway ... but I lost a litre of coolant in the process .. The other thing to remember is don't ever mix anything other than distilled water + G12 coolant it will damage your radiator and reduce your coolant system effectiveness.

It shouldn't take too long to do this about 10 - 20 minutes with good light.
jonmcgarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:11   #8
Vanigh

Exclamation

Thank you guys for your useful help, much appreciated.
One more question, does the coolant that i have to add has to be VW brand?
Vanigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:27   #9
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

Yes...Do not mix VW brand with generic coolant. If mixed, they will form a brown goo that is very difficult to clean out of the cooling system.

Besides VW G12(+/++) is pink and if leaks out of the cooling system, will leave a stain and trail to the source of the leak.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 12:28   #10
adamant628
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45ish

I've been getting an intermittent P0118 code as well, cleared with scangauge. The code pops up once a week or so. Have you done the repair yet, Vanigh? Let me know how it goes.

PS. What's the difference between the blue and green ones? Should I just check my current one and try to see the color? (I can see that one in the picture above is blue, should I be able to see mine as easily, too?)
Old March 27th, 2010, 12:32   #11
adamant628
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolAirVw
Pull the clip. Have the new o-ring ready on the sensor with some kind of Pick tool to yank out the old o-ring. Then pull out the sensor and o-ring quickly, then reinstall the new one quickly.

Point here is to try to loose as little antifreeze as possible.
Is the antifreeze going to be flowing out here?
Old March 27th, 2010, 12:44   #12
paramedick

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamant628
Is the antifreeze going to be flowing out here?
Yes, copiously. A couple of hints. Jack the car up on the drivers side. Limits the loss. Removing the airbox and accordion hose opens up the area nicely. Some folks put a small garbage bag under the CTS to catch the antifreeze that flows out. After new sensor is in place, you can snip a corner off the bag, and let caught coolant flow back into open reservoir.

New coolant temp sensor will be green. Your old sensor is probably black. The blue sensors are used only on the early ALH engines.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 14:46   #13
adamant628
Veteran Member

It looks black, but also kind of rectangular (though rounded). So do I want the blue or green!?

Also, does the connector look a little lose to you?

Edit, comparing to the above picture, I guess it is the connector that is round.
Old March 27th, 2010, 15:07   #14
Anomie
Veteran Member

Blue is not available; GREEN is the color of the new ECT. If you order one, double check that your seller of choice denotes "this is the newer ECT with green body" or something to that effect. Make sure it has a fresh o-ring. Use paramedick's method; his should save you a lot of time and effort. Be prepared for the coolant to almost jump out at you when you pull the ECT out. Things can and likely will get messy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbright
...there's a good reason, a German reason, and it has to do with driving on the autobahn. I just can't find the article in my bookmarks.
Anomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:12   #15
todhog

TDI(s): 05 Beetle

Hi, I got a check engine light the other day so I pulled into Autozone and had them scan it. It came back with a low coolant temp and bad coolant temp module. So I went to VW and paid the big bucks for parts and a gallon of pink coolant ($22.00). I changed the thermostat and the module with info I got here and everything seems to be OK except for two things.

First, when I pulled the thermostat out I lost a good amount of fluid so when I was done I filled the little tank all the way up figuring it would get sucked in. After idling for ten minutes and then driving a few miles the tank is still full. How do I get the coolant back into the system?

Second, how do I get rid of the check engine light now that everything is fixed?

BTW this is an 05 New Beetle.

Todd

Last edited by todhog; April 3rd, 2010 at 10:32.
todhog is offline   Reply With Quote