Omaha GTG, Spring 2010

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
This wasn't my idea, but I'd like to see everyone as we're all getting excited for the warmer weather. For many of us that will me increased biodiesel... yah!!!

So,

Who? I'm down, who else wants in on this?
When? Not April 10-11, that's already the DCOTC #11)
Where? Does anyone have any space that works?

Discuss amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic; disappointingly low diesel car options available in the United States.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
How about the weekend of the 27th.

Maybe Dan can help us with the base shop.

I may go to Kansas, we'll see.

Vag-com available, I have the new vag-com.

MrErlo said:
This wasn't my idea, but I'd like to see everyone as we're all getting excited for the warmer weather. For many of us that will me increased biodiesel... yah!!!

So,

Who? I'm down, who else wants in on this?
When? Not April 10-11, that's already the DCOTC #11)
Where? Does anyone have any space that works?

Discuss amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic; disappointingly low diesel car options available in the United States.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Jettawolfs98 said:
How about the weekend of the 27th.
Tragically that is Bockfest at the Crescent Moon, but Sunday March 28th is totally open for me. I'm not sure what date or day of the week works for other people, it will probably mostly depend on when our host is available.

Sooch

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Saturday's are always best for me. How about later in April or early May...maybe the weather will be nicer? I don't have a lot of hope for March this year.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe Saturday May 1st

Sooch said:
Saturday's are always best for me. How about later in April or early May...maybe the weather will be nicer? I don't have a lot of hope for March this year.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Jettawolfs98 said:
Maybe Saturday May 1st
I like the idea of planning for May 1st, that will be enough time after the DCOTC on April 10th.

I'm available that day, and it should be warm enough to have it outside. We could plan a park parking lot type of deal, that's actually how the DCOTC #1 started so many years ago, and it worked really well.

Unless we find a location, it seems like May 1st outside somewhere is the currently best going idea. I could make that into a poll, but let's just keep the discussion here in this thread.

MrScottdi

TDI
2003 Golf
How about March 20th?

A TDI friend is coming in from Boston that weekend, we want to take a look at my broken turbo, either cleaning or replacing.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm free.

Lets do it.

MrScottdi said:
How about March 20th?

A TDI friend is coming in from Boston that weekend, we want to take a look at my broken turbo, either cleaning or replacing.

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
Oh this sounds like fun! I'll be leaving the Omaha area in June to move to Florida but a meet up does seem like a neat idea.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
That's the question where and time? plus looks like the weather is going to be bad, low 30's.

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
I think I'm still open on the 20th :)

(Off topic, but Target on 72nd and Dodge has soft roof storage things on clearance for 20 bucks, originally 40, I grabbed one to try it out on the JSW)

MrScottdi

TDI
2003 Golf
So, the plan for March 20th is to do my VNT17 and swap for a clean intake. I'm planning on the afternoon, sorta waiting for Kyle, and then finishing up on Sunday.

I think we'll just be at my place, near 90th and Center, in my Garage. It's not huge, or anything.... I'll need to move my Vespa to make some space. Shoot me an email and I'll give you the exact address: williams.scott.h@gmail.com

Eric (MrErlo) is in Texas this weekend, but Kyle (kwgilpin) gets in Saturday afternoon from Boston. All others are welcome if you want to meet up and talk TDIs, or just watch the glory of upgrading a broken turbo to an over-sized one.

MrScottdi

TDI
2003 Golf
Oh, also; I need to replace my MAF, turns out. Anybody have a new one they want to sell? The going rate at Autohausaz is $90, but then I have to wait for shipping.

I found this out because I was trying to use the VagCom MAF readings to study intake restriction before I swap my dirty one out. If I don't get it fixed before Saturday, I'll miss the chance for any "before, dirty" readings.

I asked in the Omaha thread, too
Omaha, NE chat thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2915030&postcount=230

Last edited:

MrScottdi

TDI
2003 Golf
Oh, also:

Does anybody have a torque wrench we can borrow? The loaner from O'Reilly is 24" shaft (Huge). Otherwise, I'll just have to throw some money away on a cheap one.

Please let me know, and thanks.

MrScottdi

TDI
2003 Golf
Hey, one last thing: does anybody have a floor jack? Kyle pointed out that it will be WAAY easier than trying to use my car jack to get up on the jack stands.

Cheers

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
Nice GTG yesterday... Got MrScott's car pulled apart... just waiting on FedEx to put it all back together. Big thanks to MrScott's Mom for the burgers and strawberry shortcake... Good times!

Dan

MrScottdi

TDI
2003 Golf
Update:

Intercooler hose will arrive on Thursday
Gaskets will arrive on Friday

MrScotTDI will blast around on 75 more HP on Saturday. Wait... STARTING on Saturday.

MrScottdi

TDI
2003 Golf
Jack and ramp stands

I made an offer:

I'll give you $40 for the jack and stands.

Can you be more specific on the "ramp stands"? That sounds like a combination of the two things I'm familiar with, "ramps" and "stands"...

Scott​

We'll see what happens.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
So are we going to do a GTG in April or what!? It starts tomorrow :D

OBC is going to have a busy month and hopefully summer.

Anyone interested in joining the Omaha Biofuels Coop contact MrErlo!!

LOL @ Ramp stands! :confused:

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
I'm going down to DCOTC GTG #11, so perhaps we can wait until May. Scott's car will be getting chipped and a G60/VR6 job, so it should be a fun drive home.

In May, we can get the 17mm flare wrench (finally, yes!!!) and do the nozzles. I'm having a hard time justifying that from an efficiency stand point, maybe the old nozzles are dirty and not spraying properly...

I think a new member will be joining the Coop next week, and I have a list of people here at my office who I need to invite out to a work day. It's going to be a great summer.

Mrrogers1 said:
So are we going to do a GTG in April or what!? It starts tomorrow :D

OBC is going to have a busy month and hopefully summer.

Anyone interested in joining the Omaha Biofuels Coop contact MrErlo!!