www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You



Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 25th, 2010, 22:01   #1
sportwagen rick
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA
Default Purchasing advice: JSW

First let me just say, what a great site! I was able to learn quite a bit while lurking. Finally decided to pull the trigger.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some specific advise on dealing with the stealership. So I know exactly what I'm looking for as far factory/port installed options (with the exception of the Pano. Roof), but I also definitely want to add the full body kit, and probably 18" wheels. I know these two would be added at the dealer. So my question is, in terms of entering the negotiations, should I be up front about wanting to add these additional accessories? If they know they will be making more on accessories, do you think they'd be more inclined to knock off some from MSRP? Or do you think if they know I'm already willing to spend top of the line money they will be more inclined to stand firm at or over MSRP? I already kind of feel that I'm at a disadvantage because I have such specific criteria for the wagen I want. I mean how likely is it that I can just tell them I'll just get one from another dealer, you know? They'll know they have "the" one I want. That's kind of why I'm also staying open on the Pano Roof, at least that's one option I could take or leave.

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get into my JSW.
sportwagen rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 22:13   #2
frugality
Veteran Member
 
frugality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer
Default

Check with Chris in PA -- $300 over invoice. Even with shipping, you may come out way ahead, especially with all the pricey goodies you want. He's shipped cross-country in the past.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270338
__________________
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 140k miles, Silver, manual, 17" Goals.
Former Dubs: 2000 Golf TDI, 1979 Rabbit, 1973 Baja Bug

frugality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 23:09   #3
x43x
Veteran Member
 
x43x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
TDI(s): 2010 SW
Default

I just ordered a JSW this past weekend so I may be able to lend some advice.

I contacted three local dealers. Two didn't want to do much searching for me but said they could order my specific car. The third one searched for current inventory and future deliveries for all dealers west of the rockies and came up nil. I would have to order my car. The caveat of ordering now is 1 - Does the dealer have enough allotments to get your order in? And 2 - If they don't, and you have to wait an extra long time for your car, do you mind only getting the $650 tax credit if it arrives after June 30th, or maybe even waiting for a 2011?

I placed an order through my local dealer as they stated they were given many allotments and could get my order into the factory ASAP. In the meantime, I contacted Chris in PA and he found a car that matched my color choices and a few port options that he would have swapped out, coming to port on the east coast in early March. He did the #'s and even with shipping to Seattle, it would be $200 under MSRP. Just as I was about to tell him to sell me the car, my local dealer called to say my ordered car was accepted at the factory and it would be delivered in May. So, I am going local for MSRP and a little less stressing from the cross country shipping and buying out of state.

If you have to order a vehicle you might as well order all the options you want. The wheels are a port installed option I believe so it would probably cost you more to have them added later at the dealer. I'm not sure all of the body kit pieces are even available yet. I think they come plain too and they have to be painted to match your car color.
x43x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 08:49   #4
TDI-Shawn
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
TDI(s): JSW 2010
Default

oh my, no pano?!

It is the one feature I would always get over any other. It is simply stunning and makes the JSW feel almost like a convertible!

At the risk of overstating it; the car is completely different with this feature.
__________________
______________________
'10 JSW - Gray, DSG, Pano (Enkei GTC01 17" + PZero Nero 225/45/17 & TDIClub plate frame)
'11 Volvo XC60 - Gray, Premium, Climate, BLIS, PCC
TDI-Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 16:44   #5
sportwagen rick
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality
Check with Chris in PA -- $300 over invoice. Even with shipping, you may come out way ahead, especially with all the pricey goodies you want. He's shipped cross-country in the past.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270338
Thanks. I looked through the thread and this is definitely on my list of options now, depending on what happens locally.
sportwagen rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 16:55   #6
sportwagen rick
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x
I just ordered a JSW this past weekend so I may be able to lend some advice.

I contacted three local dealers. Two didn't want to do much searching for me but said they could order my specific car. The third one searched for current inventory and future deliveries for all dealers west of the rockies and came up nil. I would have to order my car. The caveat of ordering now is 1 - Does the dealer have enough allotments to get your order in? And 2 - If they don't, and you have to wait an extra long time for your car, do you mind only getting the $650 tax credit if it arrives after June 30th, or maybe even waiting for a 2011?

I placed an order through my local dealer as they stated they were given many allotments and could get my order into the factory ASAP. In the meantime, I contacted Chris in PA and he found a car that matched my color choices and a few port options that he would have swapped out, coming to port on the east coast in early March. He did the #'s and even with shipping to Seattle, it would be $200 under MSRP. Just as I was about to tell him to sell me the car, my local dealer called to say my ordered car was accepted at the factory and it would be delivered in May. So, I am going local for MSRP and a little less stressing from the cross country shipping and buying out of state.

If you have to order a vehicle you might as well order all the options you want. The wheels are a port installed option I believe so it would probably cost you more to have them added later at the dealer. I'm not sure all of the body kit pieces are even available yet. I think they come plain too and they have to be painted to match your car color.
Using the "Ask a dealer" thread over on Vortex I had a search run through the Western Region. There are two that meet my criteria in CA. I'm willing to go get them, but I need first to arrange the sale of my current vehicle. So will they still be there? I don't know. One has the Pano Roof, one doesn't. I'm open to a trade in, but not before I can remove custom stuff from the current vehicle. I have all the stock stuff, so it's just a matter of getting it done. Also I was hoping to apply some of the funds from selling those parts off towards the down payment. I honestly didn't expect any would be out there.

Also, my local dealer emailed me saying he can order what I want and it would be in approximately 3 months. I replied to check in on if they are aware if they actually have the allotments to get one in time for the full tax credit. Also inquired about where they are going to be in terms of price, relative to Invoice.

And yeah, I would prefer to order everything I want at the time of the purchase so that I can roll everything into the loan. I hope the full body kit is available, they are available on VW.com... but I suppose that doesn't mean much, considering they also state that JSW comes with chrome exhaust tips.
sportwagen rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 17:01   #7
sportwagen rick
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Shawn
oh my, no pano?!

It is the one feature I would always get over any other. It is simply stunning and makes the JSW feel almost like a convertible!

At the risk of overstating it; the car is completely different with this feature.
Well, it looks really nice. But I am a bit concerned about having to worry about damaging it when putting bikes, cargo, christmas trees, etc. on the roof. And I'm a little concerned about too much light/heat constantly streaming in during the hot summers in central California. Can it be covered from inside? I've never seen one in person, and the local dealer doesn't have one in stock to look at. I suppose a cargo rack/bars will protect enough from the roof top storage. My Jeep has a moonroof, and my current full roof rack has a removable panel to protect the glass when you need to load up the whole roof. I do like the idea of having it open on warm summer nights
sportwagen rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 17:08   #8
sportwagen rick
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA
Default

Okay, sorry to be a blabber mouth, but still no advice on whether to begin price talks with saying I want the body kit or to wait until a base price has been established relative to Invoice? I know if I order I will just order everything I want, but should I start negotiations on a base price before I start adding things like the body kit, aluminum pedals, mats, shift knob, etc.?
sportwagen rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 17:57   #9
Trbogolf
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, OH
Default

Tell them everything you're interested to have on the car, the options you must have as well as any you can live without. Then negotiate pricing. See if you can find a higher volume dealer since they tend to be willing to budge on price more than others. Also, see if you can find current invoice pricing on the base car as well as the options you want prior to walking in. That may help you out.

HTH.
__________________
Trbogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 18:04   #10
sportwagen rick
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA
Default

Thanks for the input. Any ideas where I can look to get invoice pricing?
sportwagen rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 18:16   #11
frugality
Veteran Member
 
frugality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer
Default

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/volk...67/prices.html

Click on the red "Price With Options" to get invoice and MSRP pricing on the whole shebang with all your options. (that link is for the manual tranny version)

That will give you the price break-down for about everything you need. Note that the dealer gets a 2% holdback. Also note that Edmunds does not include advertising and port prep fees that VW charges to the dealers.

See Chris' break-down on this car (happens to be a Golf, not a wagon) to see the ad fee, which may vary by region:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...70&postcount=6
__________________
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 140k miles, Silver, manual, 17" Goals.
Former Dubs: 2000 Golf TDI, 1979 Rabbit, 1973 Baja Bug


Last edited by frugality; February 26th, 2010 at 18:18.
frugality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 18:20   #12
sportwagen rick
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/volk...67/prices.html

Click on the red "Price With Options" to get invoice and MSRP pricing on the whole shebang with all your options. (that link is for the manual tranny version)

That will give you the price break-down for about everything you need. Note that the dealer gets a 2% holdback. Also note that Edmunds does not include advertising and port prep fees that VW charges to the dealers.

See Chris' break-down on this car (happens to be a Golf, not a wagon) to see the ad fee, which may vary by region:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...70&postcount=6
Thanks!
sportwagen rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 21:00   #13
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member
 
Derrel H Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Murrieta, California
Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly
Question Where you ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportwagen rick
Thanks for the input. Any ideas where I can look to get invoice pricing?


If you are asking at which dealer you might get an invoice price,
email or private message me for details.

Include your phone number, and I will call you.

__________________
2010 JSW. Reflex Silver/Titan Interior. A TDI with DSG.
Dynoed 132 HP, 230 ft/lb torque at the wheels.
Traded the VW for a Mercedes Benz W-211 E-320 CDI 12-17-2011.
Dynoed 12-01-12 211 HP, 386 ft/lb torque at the wheels.
View my MBZ E-320 CDI Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/E320
Compare our previous VW TDI JSW DSG Fuelly : http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/Jetta
Derrel H Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2014
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2013, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.16699 seconds with 9 queries
[Output: 114.90 Kb. compressed to 96.62 Kb. by saving 18.28 Kb. (15.91%)]