www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 25th, 2010, 15:37   #1
Pcar993
Veteran Member

Default Just finished installing PD150 intake manifold, and racepipe. My engine shut off!!!

I test drove it, while in 2nd gear, i pushed the pedal down, but did not floor it yet. The boost shot up to 31-32psi (which has never happened before) and made some weird noise (turbo surge??) so i quickly let off the gas pedal. The whole thing lasted like 2 seconds. I let off the gas pedal as soon as i saw 31-32psi. I knew something was wrong. Then the engine shut off I pulled over. I tried to start her back up but it wouldnt. I waited about 5 min. I then tried to restart it and it worked! It seems to be working fine. The turbo is working fine too. I dont understand what happened... Any ideas??

I test drove and rechecked everything. I did not find any problems except that with the stock clogged up intake manifold, i would boost to 29psi and it would hold 26-27 psi in all gears througout the gear. Now it barely spiked up to 25psi and it would taper off to 20psi. The new setup pulls a little better at low end as well as high end with slightly less smoke compared to my stock clogged intake manifold. Is the boost tapering off because the pd150 manifold and racepipe are alot less restrictive?? Did anyone notice that? The Boost levels are a huge difference compared to stock mianifold so Im a bit worried is i might have a boost leak?

Last edited by Pcar993; February 25th, 2010 at 21:20.
Pcar993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 16:28   #2
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Sounds like the car is running a little closer to what the tune calls for if you ask my opinion. I'd be a little worried about that 25 psi though. I'd like to see some VCDS logs to check your actuator settings. You SHOULD NOT run 26-27 psi sustained in a VNT-17 in my opinion.

Generally speaking, all the air mods don't really add much power. They just let more air flow so you can add more fuel and get a bit more power. If you were smoking like a train to begin with, then I would assume the increased air would help for a more complete combustion process and the power would show up there.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 17:49   #3
Pcar993
Veteran Member

??? anyone know why my engine would shut off on its own?
Old February 26th, 2010, 18:38   #4
Overfuelin5spd
troll, banned

TDI(s): 03 5spd

maybe it detected an overboost condition and killed to protect itself
Overfuelin5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 19:09   #5
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overfuelin5spd
maybe it detected an overboost condition and killed to protect itself
Nope, the only thing it would do is go into limp mode, it wouldn't kill the engine.

'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Custom tuned by Mike @ TDTuning.com
LNXGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 19:59   #6
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

What does vag-com say?

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 20:53   #7
BlownBusa
Veteran Member

I know it wasn't nice, but I was (trying to) showing off... I roll in to water, set e-brake, put it in second gear, rev to 4k, dump clutch, tires begin to spin and smoke and then dead... Car shut down. Started right back up and drove away, smokey fast. My thought was I guess the ECM didn't like that...
BlownBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 22:13   #8
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownBusa
I know it wasn't nice, but I was (trying to) showing off... I roll in to water, set e-brake, put it in second gear, rev to 4k, dump clutch, tires begin to spin and smoke and then dead... Car shut down. Started right back up and drove away, smokey fast. My thought was I guess the ECM didn't like that...
Sounds like ASR kicked you out then you stalled.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:25   #9
jsrmonster
Veteran Member

DO NOT PLUG YOUR VENT LINE TO THE AIR BOX. Check your vacuum hoses, sounds like your turbo actuator has vacuum to it all the time. Kinked hose to the turbo can get sticky and hold vac even if n75 is vented.

Did you check your actuator to see if it's working properly and adjusted correctly (5" HG cracking)?

Jeff

edit I see you have no air box, put a small filter on your n75/n18 vent hose. If it is dangling open, it can suck in crud that can screw up the n75 valve.
05.5Jetta DSG, 00Jetta 6spd race, 99.5Jetta Rocket ARL-PD150 6spd 2260, 2003.5 5.9L Cummins QCLB 4x4 Blue Monster, 00Passat1.8T, other tdi's: 97J, 98J, 99.5J2x, 00-C5 6spd - EFILive, HPTuner, Diablo Sport!
Never argue with an idiot.They will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The beatings will continue until the morale improves!
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement !
"DIESEL TUNING PROFESSIONAL" 1-5-3-6-2-4=;-)

Last edited by jsrmonster; February 28th, 2010 at 05:27.
jsrmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 19:17   #10
Pcar993
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrmonster
DO NOT PLUG YOUR VENT LINE TO THE AIR BOX. Check your vacuum hoses, sounds like your turbo actuator has vacuum to it all the time. Kinked hose to the turbo can get sticky and hold vac even if n75 is vented.

Did you check your actuator to see if it's working properly and adjusted correctly (5" HG cracking)?

Jeff

edit I see you have no air box, put a small filter on your n75/n18 vent hose. If it is dangling open, it can suck in crud that can screw up the n75 valve.
Im actually running stock airbox with the vent line to the airbox. I'll try to disconnect the line. Once i disconnect the line, ill put some sort of filter. To verify, the vent line is the same line as the n75/n18 vent hose?

Last edited by Pcar993; February 28th, 2010 at 22:51.