www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 24th, 2010, 18:18   #1
The Horak
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-Winter, 42-Summer, Mostly city. (53.6 best)
Default The snow screen?

Hey guys. Got another question (maybe someday I'll have answers): Where is the snow screen filter in a 2004 Jetta? just replaced my air filter, and it was terribly dirty; I can only imagine that the snow screen is worse. In my defense, I just bought the car. I'd never have let it get that bad.
Old February 24th, 2010, 18:24   #2
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer

There's a 'snorkel' that goes from the air filter box forward to just behind the left headlight. Remove the airbox, and then there's (1) 10mm nut to remove the snorkel. At least, that's the case on my 2000. I use water and an old toothbrush to clean it.

Don't open the air box unless you're going to replace the filter. The seal is supposedly a one-time-use thing. Pull the whole box as a unit.

frugality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 18:27   #3
Honeydew
Veteran Member

I don't think the 04+ cars have them, but this would be the perfect thing to try out the search on. Do an advanced search, type in snow screen, and select "search titles only" instead of the default "search entire posts"
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 19:02   #4
The Horak
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-Winter, 42-Summer, Mostly city. (53.6 best)

Quote:
I don't think the 04+ cars have them,
Okay, That's probably true. I was looking for it today when I swapped out the filter. I took the snorkel completely out of the car, trying to see a screen somewhere. Found nothing. It would seem that the car either doesn't have one, or it was already removed. Oh well. How often should you replace an air filter?
Old February 24th, 2010, 19:05   #5
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Replacing the air filter is a highly debated subject. I have a filter minder on my air filter box and the only time it showed I should change my filter is when a large slug of south Georgia pine pollen clogged it. Without a filter minder changing it is a subjective judgment.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 19:55   #6
Honeydew
Veteran Member

The OE airfilter for your car has the snow screen integrated into the filter itself, sometimes referred to as the "cold weather filter". One option is to use the owner's manual maintenance schedule for change interval, this info is also found on the VW website. If you want to install a filterminder like CC above, search for the detailed post on the subject by member name "drivbiwire" He used the CAT filterminder.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:17   #7
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Horak
Hey guys. Got another question (maybe someday I'll have answers): Where is the snow screen filter in a 2004 Jetta? just replaced my air filter, and it was terribly dirty; I can only imagine that the snow screen is worse. In my defense, I just bought the car. I'd never have let it get that bad.
Cars that have it, it is in the snorkel that goes from the left headlight housing to the air filter box. A single flimsy nut holds the snorkel to the left inner fender. The snow screen, if present, is inside the snorkel, towards the headlight end. You need to cut it out with a razor blade. It is glued in place.

Some people with 2004s report NOT having a snow screen from the factory. Some DO have the snow screen in their 2004s. I had one. I think 2003 was the last year for snow screen use, but some 2004s have them because VW used left over snorkels from the '03s.

Cars WITHOUT snow screens call for the "cold weather" air filter (part number ending in "A"). It states this on the air filter housing. This is the air filter that has the pre filter mesh glued to the pleated side.

Oddly, my '04 (I bought it new in November 2003) had both the snow screen and the cold weather filter. I did not look into this for about 4 years because I read the '04s did not have snow screens, and man, was I in for a little surprise--Completely plugged with trash!

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; February 25th, 2010 at 05:20.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:30   #8
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta
The snow screen, if present, is inside the snorkel, towards the headlight end. You need to cut it out with a razor blade.
Some of us actually like the so-called "snow screen"... I was surprised that our 2001 Golf (German-built, if that matters) didn't have one... (from the factory...)

Yuri
ymz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:50   #9
avdlaan

TDI(s): Jetta
Default Is it needed?

Hi guys,

I'm curious then, is the snow screen needed/recommended? My car (2000 Jetta TDI) is suffering from "limp mode" right now so I'm working through the great post by Canadian Grizzly on diagnosing it. I thought a quick thing to check was the snow screen, yet to my surprise, mine was cut out. This must have been from the previous owner.

So now that it's cut out, should I worry about it? Should I make sure I buy the air filter with the screen built on?

Curious on your thoughts on whether or not it's needed.

Thanks!
avdlaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 08:01   #10
pruzink
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

I have an 04 Jetta & it has the snow screen. The snow screen gets much dirtier than the air filter & much faster. You have to remove the bottom 1/2 of the air filter housing box to get at it. If you don't have one, somebody must have cut it out.
pruzink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:38   #11
avdlaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruzink
If you don't have one, somebody must have cut it out.
Yes, mine's been cut out (most likely the previous owner). I can see the edges of the snow screen inside the snorkel so there definitely was one there at one point. The dealer said not to worry about it, I just wanted to check what others opinions were here on how important it is.
Old March 7th, 2010, 05:38   #12
PDJetta
Veteran Member

"I just wanted to check what others opinions were here on how important it is...."

It is important...that the snow sreen be removed! All kinds of debris will plug it up. Without it, the stuff that plugs it up makes its way to the air filter box and harmlessly sits in the bottom of the filter box. You should use the "cold weather filter" if the snow screen is not present.

--Nate
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:42   #13
avdlaan

Thanks Nate, I'll keep that in mind when I replace the filter next!
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:56   #14
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdlaan
Hi guys,

I'm curious then, is the snow screen needed/recommended? My car (2000 Jetta TDI) is suffering from "limp mode" right now so I'm working through the great post by Canadian Grizzly on diagnosing it. I thought a quick thing to check was the snow screen, yet to my surprise, mine was cut out. This must have been from the previous owner.

So now that it's cut out, should I worry about it? Should I make sure I buy the air filter with the screen built on?

Curious on your thoughts on whether or not it's needed.

Thanks!
I cut them out of both cars, let the filter do its job. Two years ago and no issue so far, just have to keep a closer eye on yur filter.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:01   #15
naturist
Veteran Member

I've a 2001 Jetta, and I chose to leave the "snow screen" in it, because I live out in the country, and it keeps mice, chipmunks, and other vermin out of the air cleaner. I've had vehicles before that always wound up with a mouse nest in there, along with a pile of seeds, droppings, straw, and a couple times a hole chewed in the air filter (just perfect for sucking all that crap right into the engine.

You just have to pull the screen out every once in a while and clean off the leaves.
naturist is online now   Reply With Quote