New Upgraded Battery Cables

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
TO ORDER - CLICK HERE!!!

A friend of mine makes various electrical wiring products that I've used over the years without issue and noticed the he didn't make a battery cable set for an MK4 TDI (1/0 gauge), although did make them for MK4 2.0, 1.8T and VR6. Naturally, I asked him if he could make me a set. He did and was shocked the set was only $75 ($85 as of 9/17/2012)... and not only did it include the positive and negative cable, it included an additional alternator cable and fuse box cable. For comparison, an OEM set of just the positive and negative cables runs $120+!!!

So this is what you get:

Here are the differences on the cables. Notice how much thicker the new cables are.

Take note that when you install the fuse box cable, you have to separate the fuse box (shown in the instructions) and the fuses will fall out. I didn't write it down and had to refer to my Bentley for the order. In case someone needs it in the future, the order from top to bottom from the pic above is: 150a, 110a, 40a, 50a, 50a. Oh, and wires going to the fuse box only go in one way. You can't screw it up. The wires for the 2 50a fuses are interchangeable - they will fit in both slots.

There are instructions included and they are pretty good but I'm not going to go through it step by step here. I took additional pictures for those that want more detail, more like supplemental info.

After removing the battery and battery tray, you can remove the negative cable by removing 2 nuts, 1 at the engine and leftmost arrow in the pic below.

Install the upgraded negative cable in 3 spots, 1 at the engine and the 2 arrows shown above.

As for the positive, the OEM one goes straight to the starter. The upgraded cable also goes to the starter but there's an additional cable going to the alternator.

At the alternator, you install the cable on top of the OEM cable. It does NOT replace the OEM cable.

After some simple routing and zip ties (included), here's what it looks like with the battery back in it.

And here it is all finished up

It took me about an hour or so to install everything and it was pretty easy. I could probably do it half the time now. All you need is a 10mm and 13mm sockets, extension and a ratchet, wire cutters (for zip ties) and a phillips screwdriver.

You can purchase these cables at Innovative Wiring. Just scroll down to the MK4 cables. He also makes cables for MK1, 2, 3, 5 as well as other wiring solutions (headlight harnesses, grounding kits, etc...).

FYI... I don't have a vested interest in these products. I'm just sharing these options for the benefit of the TDI community.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
These look like good quality, well made cables, but I have a concern about the alternator wiring. A second cable from the starter solenoid to the alternator output effectively bypasses the alternator fuse. Follow the two paths: 1 Battery + to fuse to alternator. 2 Battery + to starter to alternator. Path 2 will continue to carry current even if the fuse could blow! The fuse won't blow with this arrangement as there is a heavier wire i.e. lower resistance, in parallel with it. A new cable using the OEM fuse would be a much better way to go.

Paul

penclnck

Alchemist said:
These look like good quality, well made cables
*Rrrrrrrrr..... chomp*
A new cable using the OEM fuse would be a much better way to go.
Pretty much sums it up for me as well. Bonus points if the OEM battery cable clamps were used as well.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Alchemist said:
These look like good quality, well made cables, but I have a concern about the alternator wiring. A second cable from the starter solenoid to the alternator output effectively bypasses the alternator fuse. Follow the two paths: 1 Battery + to fuse to alternator. 2 Battery + to starter to alternator. Path 2 will continue to carry current even if the fuse could blow! The fuse won't blow with this arrangement as there is a heavier wire i.e. lower resistance, in parallel with it. A new cable using the OEM fuse would be a much better way to go.

Paul
That's a valid concern. I originally thought it replaced the OEM cable until I read the instructions. Worst case, you can just leave the alternator cable off and you still have a fused OEM cable with upgraded battery cables.

This is the first car that I've noticed a fuse for the alternator cable. My other cars doesn't have them. Why does VW have it?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
On the engines I work on, it's standard practice to run the alternator with no fuse. Outputs go straight to the starter lug or other big positive lead. I think the diodes inside will act as fuses.

I would not get too excited about bypassing it as this kit does.

It seems the fuse block tends to get burnt up when alternator output goes through a corroded connection. So the OEM set up is a fire risk right there.

penclnck

Got Bearings? said:
This is the first car that I've noticed a fuse for the alternator cable. My other cars doesn't have them. Why does VW have it?
Safety issue. Due to the size of the cable, if it were to short to ground, a LOT of current could run though it and generate a LOT of heat, nice fire hazard. So minor wreck could turn into a major fire, but the fuse would pop thus solving the issue.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Valid point about the wreck. But the same applies to starter, which is not fused. Begs the generic question: How many things do you want to protect against?

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Alternators are know to SUCK a battery's charge when it is bad. Maybe the alternator could short in someway?

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
DJGonzo said:
Alternators are know to SUCK a battery's charge when it is bad. Maybe the alternator could short in someway?
Highly doubt it. If that was the case, EVERY CAR would have a fused alternator cable.

But if you're still concerned about it, don't install this cable in the kit. :)

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Nice. I have been thinking about doing this myself, just making up my own cables. My lights tend to dim on even fairly mild subwoofer use, thought I have my original battery still which will require replacement before next winter...

You see claims of improved mpg and power from heavy gauge ground wire upgrade kits for import vehicles. While a stock VW still probably has an extra 100 lbs of wiring on board, there might be something to it for us, too. Did you notice any improvement in engine idle with acc on/off, general electrical response, headlight brightness, etc?

How much would it cost to add a parallel 100 amp fuse? 20 bucks?
quick search, yup: http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d137.html

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Nice cables. I hope they still sell these when mine get worn. Anyone I see who has shoddy cables I'll send them this way for sure!

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
shizzler said:
Nice. I have been thinking about doing this myself, just making up my own cables. My lights tend to dim on even fairly mild subwoofer use, thought I have my original battery still which will require replacement before next winter...

You see claims of improved mpg and power from heavy gauge ground wire upgrade kits for import vehicles. While a stock VW still probably has an extra 100 lbs of wiring on board, there might be something to it for us, too. Did you notice any improvement in engine idle with acc on/off, general electrical response, headlight brightness, etc?

How much would it cost to add a parallel 100 amp fuse? 20 bucks?
quick search, yup: http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d137.html
Shizz... I have a 500 watt amp and a 12" sub that I regularly pound and I don't see the lights dim. Most of my music is rock.... with some hip hop.

I didn't notice any other improvements (idle, acc on/off, headlight brightness) but I really wasn't looking for them. I'm sure there are improvements I just didn't bother to take notice.

Last edited:

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Nice but I have been making them myself for years using audio grade 1/0 and 2 gauge. For someone without the equipment that is a great price and a nice upgrade. Regarding the alternator concern, I routinely put either a breaker or high amp fuse in the main, close to the battery. Numerous car companies do this as well.

dslkevin

TDI
2015 Passat TDI 2012 Jetta TDI
Got Bearings? said:
Allot of cars have fusable links rather than fuses. Most don't realize the they are there. I for one would not run the cable from the alternator to the battery without some sort of fuse or fusable link.

JettaGetUpandGo

TDI
No TDI. 2005 Jetta GLI
I saw the link in your sig to this. Thanks for that. I'll be upgrading to a 200 amp alternator in the next couple of weeks and will definitely need upgraded cables.

I'm surprised that no one else mentioned the third 8ga (maybe 4ga) ground wire that goes to the second ground bolt a couple of inches from the much larger cable. It seems excessive to me.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
JettaGetUpandGo said:
I'm surprised that no one else mentioned the third 8ga (maybe 4ga) ground wire that goes to the second ground bolt a couple of inches from the much larger cable. It seems excessive to me.
Can you have "too much ground"? I don't think so but I don't see it as a problem. I don't make these cables but if you want an answer from the horse's mouth, contact www.innovativewiring.com.

EDIT: From their website

MK4 Battery Cables

Upgrade your MK4 battery cables. This is a complete set positive and ground cables.

I make these cables using 1/0 gauge copper cable for the starter, the ground is 1/0 gauge copper cable for the engine, 1/0 gauge cooper cable to the chassis and also includes a 8 gauge copper cable for coil and T/B ground. Also includes a 2 gauge alternator cable with protective loom installed and 2 gauge fuse box cable. Solid copper ends are soldered and "HEX" crimped for the best connection, then adhesive lined shrink tubing is installed for protection.

Last edited:

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Well, I ordered a set of these and they should arrive next week. What is the consensus on adding a fuse to the alternator cable? It should be easy enough to do...

Now I just need to find a quality replacement battery, too.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Shizz... I've had the alternator cable installed as is since this post without issue. All the cars I've owned did not have any protection (Ford and Chevy) and never had a issue there. So I'm driving more and worrying less. :)

If you want some extra security, I don't see an issue with a fuse or a breaker.... but then again, I'm a pencil pusher not an EE. :D

JettaGetUpandGo

TDI
No TDI. 2005 Jetta GLI
Because I waited until the last minute, I ended having a reputable car audio shop make a set of cables for me and I asked about adding a fuse between the alternator and the battery. They also told me that it was unnecessary. Admittedly, it cost me a bit more than these cables cost and on top of that I bought mesh sleeves to hide the wires after they were installed.

This is a great price for these cables and looking back at the thread now I see that they clamp directly to the battery posts as a true replacement instead of adding on the the OEM wiring.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I just placed an order for the TDI cables.

My negative battery connector broke about a year ago, and as a quick fix I installed a cheap-o auto big-box store connector to it. Of course, this shortened my cable because I had to cut off the broken OEM connector. My hope is that these cables are a bit longer for better maneuverability.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
My hope is that these cables are a bit longer for better maneuverability.
The negative cable is longer and you can see how it loops around in the 6th pic. The positive might be a little longer but not by much. It certainly isn't tight by any means.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Cool, thanks guys.

My local VW Dealers only have interstate batteries for $110 (80 Ah 640cca). Might go for the Deka AGM group 48 battery even though its only 70 Ah (but 700 CCA). Can't wait for my electrical strength to improve!

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
i want to relocate the battery to the trunk, can he make a longer set?

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Why don't you email him and see. I'm sure that he could. However you really might as well make the cables yourself if you are going to all that trouble.

The nice thing about this kit is that it's all pre-measured to fit exactly as OEM does. If you re-locate your battery to the trunk, it's going to end up in a custom location / post orientation, etc. The side of the car and routing you choose for your cables will also dictate required length. So you couldn't expect this company to know exactly how to do all of that for you already. I think, in short, you're on your own (plus, it's really not that hard).

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Nice cables. I hope they still sell these when mine get worn. Anyone I see who has shoddy cables I'll send them this way for sure!
Yup, Thanks to Phil, he pointed this out to me, as my Positive connector went bad. and the only way to replace it is to get the whole wire(80 bucks from the dealer), I only needed the OEM bolt(it broke) these look quality and better than OEM.

Thanks Phil.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Finally got around to installing these upgraded cables and a new 80Ah Deka Battery this weekend.

Granted, most of the very noticeable electrical improvement is probably from replacing my 8 year old OE battery, but this is great. Instant engine starts from much faster cranking, no more dimming of headlights, smoother idle under high electrical load, and no more flickering of dash illumination when the car is ice cold. Unfortunately, one of my headlight bulbs blew instantly when I hooked everything back up and hit the switch for the first time (scan gauge was reading 14.8 volts at the time...., previously never saw over 14.4)

As for an installation review, well, it was kind of a PIA. 1/0 gauge cables do not like to bend, so if the routing and length are not just right, they fight against you.

Pros:

• Very nice build quality. These cables will last.
  • Size. No appreciable resistance here.
  • Cost. Very reasonable.
Cons:

• Cables realllly don't want to bend.
  • Battery to Starter cable is a little too long, so if you have any other accessories/upgrades to the passenger side of the battery, this cable will get in the way (has to bend way out due to length and in-flexibility).
  • Adding additional connectors onto the alternator and starter means you can't fit the protective caps back on (they go over the connections to prevent corrosion). So, now the connection points are more corrosion prone (sucks for a Michigan winter).
Couple pics from the install:

The directions indicate to add the small 8 gauge ground to somewhere on the cylinder head. While I knew this was mainly for spark-ignition engines, I decided it can't be a bad idea. So I found this unused pre-tapped hole on the driver's side of the cylinder head, and a random bolt in my garage that was the correct thread.

Here is my finished battery. My positive cable had a different connector than yours, got Bear. Kind of makes tightening it tricky, but it works.

One other note - where you (got bearings) connected your 8-gauge wire, was quite corroded on my car. I took the time to unbolt this grounding point (and the other small-wire one even further to the driver's side) and clean all the connections up.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Hey Shizz... yeah, you're right that the cables don't like to bend but they didn't fight me... or if they did, it was minor. Honestly, I don't remember. I do remember the positive cable having a nice sweeping bend, as you can see in the pics.