www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old February 20th, 2010, 14:24   #1
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 / 50
Default New Upgraded Battery Cables

TO ORDER - CLICK HERE!!!

A friend of mine makes various electrical wiring products that I've used over the years without issue and noticed the he didn't make a battery cable set for an MK4 TDI (1/0 gauge), although did make them for MK4 2.0, 1.8T and VR6. Naturally, I asked him if he could make me a set. He did and was shocked the set was only $75 ($85 as of 9/17/2012)... and not only did it include the positive and negative cable, it included an additional alternator cable and fuse box cable. For comparison, an OEM set of just the positive and negative cables runs $120+!!!

So this is what you get:

Here are the differences on the cables. Notice how much thicker the new cables are.

Take note that when you install the fuse box cable, you have to separate the fuse box (shown in the instructions) and the fuses will fall out. I didn't write it down and had to refer to my Bentley for the order. In case someone needs it in the future, the order from top to bottom from the pic above is: 150a, 110a, 40a, 50a, 50a. Oh, and wires going to the fuse box only go in one way. You can't screw it up. The wires for the 2 50a fuses are interchangeable - they will fit in both slots.

There are instructions included and they are pretty good but I'm not going to go through it step by step here. I took additional pictures for those that want more detail, more like supplemental info.

After removing the battery and battery tray, you can remove the negative cable by removing 2 nuts, 1 at the engine and leftmost arrow in the pic below.

Install the upgraded negative cable in 3 spots, 1 at the engine and the 2 arrows shown above.

As for the positive, the OEM one goes straight to the starter. The upgraded cable also goes to the starter but there's an additional cable going to the alternator.

At the alternator, you install the cable on top of the OEM cable. It does NOT replace the OEM cable.

After some simple routing and zip ties (included), here's what it looks like with the battery back in it.

And here it is all finished up

It took me about an hour or so to install everything and it was pretty easy. I could probably do it half the time now. All you need is a 10mm and 13mm sockets, extension and a ratchet, wire cutters (for zip ties) and a phillips screwdriver.

You can purchase these cables at Innovative Wiring. Just scroll down to the MK4 cables. He also makes cables for MK1, 2, 3, 5 as well as other wiring solutions (headlight harnesses, grounding kits, etc...).

FYI... I don't have a vested interest in these products. I'm just sharing these options for the benefit of the TDI community.
Looking for Battery Cables, better & cheaper than OEM? Click here for info

Last edited by Got Bearings?; September 17th, 2012 at 11:14. Reason: updated links...
Got Bearings? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 18:40   #2
Alchemist
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 ALH Golf

These look like good quality, well made cables, but I have a concern about the alternator wiring. A second cable from the starter solenoid to the alternator output effectively bypasses the alternator fuse. Follow the two paths: 1 Battery + to fuse to alternator. 2 Battery + to starter to alternator. Path 2 will continue to carry current even if the fuse could blow! The fuse won't blow with this arrangement as there is a heavier wire i.e. lower resistance, in parallel with it. A new cable using the OEM fuse would be a much better way to go.

Paul

Equipped with VCDS and a hoist in a heated shop.
I was told I have every tool known to man.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 19:53   #3
penclnck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist
These look like good quality, well made cables
*Rrrrrrrrr..... chomp*
A new cable using the OEM fuse would be a much better way to go.
Pretty much sums it up for me as well. Bonus points if the OEM battery cable clamps were used as well.
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:27   #4
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist
These look like good quality, well made cables, but I have a concern about the alternator wiring. A second cable from the starter solenoid to the alternator output effectively bypasses the alternator fuse. Follow the two paths: 1 Battery + to fuse to alternator. 2 Battery + to starter to alternator. Path 2 will continue to carry current even if the fuse could blow! The fuse won't blow with this arrangement as there is a heavier wire i.e. lower resistance, in parallel with it. A new cable using the OEM fuse would be a much better way to go.

Paul
That's a valid concern. I originally thought it replaced the OEM cable until I read the instructions. Worst case, you can just leave the alternator cable off and you still have a fused OEM cable with upgraded battery cables.

This is the first car that I've noticed a fuse for the alternator cable. My other cars doesn't have them. Why does VW have it?
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:59   #5
NB_TDi

Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

I now know what I want for my birthday.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:02   #6
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

On the engines I work on, it's standard practice to run the alternator with no fuse. Outputs go straight to the starter lug or other big positive lead. I think the diodes inside will act as fuses.

I would not get too excited about bypassing it as this kit does.

It seems the fuse block tends to get burnt up when alternator output goes through a corroded connection. So the OEM set up is a fire risk right there.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:48   #7
penclnck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Bearings?
This is the first car that I've noticed a fuse for the alternator cable. My other cars doesn't have them. Why does VW have it?
Safety issue. Due to the size of the cable, if it were to short to ground, a LOT of current could run though it and generate a LOT of heat, nice fire hazard. So minor wreck could turn into a major fire, but the fuse would pop thus solving the issue.
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:53   #8
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Valid point about the wreck. But the same applies to starter, which is not fused. Begs the generic question: How many things do you want to protect against?
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:28   #9
DJGonzo
Veteran Member

Alternators are know to SUCK a battery's charge when it is bad. Maybe the alternator could short in someway?
DJGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 13:35   #10
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGonzo
Alternators are know to SUCK a battery's charge when it is bad. Maybe the alternator could short in someway?
Highly doubt it. If that was the case, EVERY CAR would have a fused alternator cable.

But if you're still concerned about it, don't install this cable in the kit.
Old April 7th, 2010, 16:20   #11
shizzler
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Solid 50, daily life.

Nice. I have been thinking about doing this myself, just making up my own cables. My lights tend to dim on even fairly mild subwoofer use, thought I have my original battery still which will require replacement before next winter...

You see claims of improved mpg and power from heavy gauge ground wire upgrade kits for import vehicles. While a stock VW still probably has an extra 100 lbs of wiring on board, there might be something to it for us, too. Did you notice any improvement in engine idle with acc on/off, general electrical response, headlight brightness, etc?

How much would it cost to add a parallel 100 amp fuse? 20 bucks?
quick search, yup: http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d137.html
Old April 7th, 2010, 21:18   #12
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Nice cables. I hope they still sell these when mine get worn. Anyone I see who has shoddy cables I'll send them this way for sure!

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:03   #13
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzler
Nice. I have been thinking about doing this myself, just making up my own cables. My lights tend to dim on even fairly mild subwoofer use, thought I have my original battery still which will require replacement before next winter...

You see claims of improved mpg and power from heavy gauge ground wire upgrade kits for import vehicles. While a stock VW still probably has an extra 100 lbs of wiring on board, there might be something to it for us, too. Did you notice any improvement in engine idle with acc on/off, general electrical response, headlight brightness, etc?

How much would it cost to add a parallel 100 amp fuse? 20 bucks?
quick search, yup: http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d137.html
Shizz... I have a 500 watt amp and a 12" sub that I regularly pound and I don't see the lights dim. Most of my music is rock.... with some hip hop.

I didn't notice any other improvements (idle, acc on/off, headlight brightness) but I really wasn't looking for them. I'm sure there are improvements I just didn't bother to take notice.

Last edited by Got Bearings?; April 9th, 2010 at 10:37.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:47   #14
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

Nice but I have been making them myself for years using audio grade 1/0 and 2 gauge. For someone without the equipment that is a great price and a nice upgrade. Regarding the alternator concern, I routinely put either a breaker or high amp fuse in the main, close to the battery. Numerous car companies do this as well.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 14:18   #15
dslkevin

TDI(s): none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Bearings?
Allot of cars have fusable links rather than fuses. Most don't realize the they are there. I for one would not run the cable from the alternator to the battery without some sort of fuse or fusable link.