www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Passat TDI Picture Gallery

Passat TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Passat TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old February 17th, 2010, 01:22   #1
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Default Silver B4, in SoCal

I'm thinking about various places to take some really good photos of my car. Until then, here is a recent snap I took after I got it washed. I have a front end cover I usually have on it, but more pics will come later when I find the time and other transportation to drive me and my car on the freeway to take some photos while there is snow on our mountains.

The side markers aren't the cheap clear corners. I'm using the fluted clear plastic from them. I'm also trying different finishes between silver and chrome, which should be finalized over my next weekend, to see how it works with the car and then I'll silicone everything back together. Have to do an LED conversion of my OE taillights which I'm eagerly getting ready for.

Last edited by Digital Corpus; August 18th, 2012 at 23:28.
Digital Corpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 07:04   #2
VWWV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48hw/36town

VERY nice! I don't understand what you are saying about "silver and chrome" finishes? Also, what tire size do you have on there? Nice wide stance.

WV - where relativity is more than just a theory.

TERM LIMITS NOW
VWWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:30   #3
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

The reflectors are obviously chromed. They are OE though so the chrome has faded/fogged up. Tried a chrome paint, but the reflection is still somewhat diffuse even after some burnishing so it has more of a silver look like the car instead of a chrome look like the headlights.

I have regular 14's on there. Not a VW OE wheel though and that fine since they weigh in at about 9 lbs each. I may bump up to 10 lb 16" in the future, but finding a higher quality tire while keeping the same radius is difficult.

Mirrors and the bumper frame around the grill and headlights needs to be repainted with all the little pits and dings it has gotten over time. Have to take car of 2 other minor dings from the previous owner on the driver side rear bumper and body too.
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:15   #4
alcrash

How, where did you get the front grill without the emblem?
alcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 16:38   #5
AndrewM

The more important question is, what is the car parked next to you? I've been trying to figure it out for some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY32514
But there is always an A** like you to ruin things
AndrewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 22:35   #6
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

The badgeless grill is made my JOM. I picked it up on ebay from them for about 15 bucks cheaper than their site iirc.

'89 honda Civic is the other car. Sold to another member of the family when I bought my B4.

I still need to take proper pictures of this car. Too bad I have a broken fog light
Old March 30th, 2010, 00:28   #7
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcrash
How, where did you get the front grill without the emblem?
More specifically, since it is still up as a regular for sale item on ebay:
Badge-less grill
Old August 30th, 2010, 21:39   #8
surfbus
Veteran Member

DC nice clean looking car, can you post some pictures of your interior mods ?

I'm thinking of buying a shift boot from the site linked in your sig. Mine is torn up, i really appreciate you sharing the sites with the forum.

I was specifically flirting the idea of buying the black leather boot and e-brake, the ones with red sew seam accents for my Tornado Red TDI B4. I think they would spice up my interior without going over the top, a little GTI style.

Door handles 139$, headliner 500$. No camshaft, balance shaft or high pressure fuel pump issues to repair... priceless!

Last edited by surfbus; August 30th, 2010 at 21:42.
surfbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:34   #9
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

I'm still cleaning things up inside. The soft touch paint has been peeling so I stripped it down and repainted with a gloss plastic paint. I was thinking the gloss would be too shiny, but with the texture of the plastic from underneath, it's just fine. I have a few misc things I need to finish cleaning and restoring before posting photos though.
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:59   #10
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

What is "the soft touch paint"?

Looking for something to "recoat/repaint" my interior plastic on the door handle and arm rest. Any ideas?

Thanks

JJ

P.S. Finally got the MPG I expected on a 468 mile trip from Portland to Red Bluff, ca. on I-5. Drove about 55 all the way. Result = 48.8 mpg. Way too slow, so I dropped the hammer the rest of the way home. Will fill it up later today and see what speed costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
I'm still cleaning things up inside. The soft touch paint has been peeling so I stripped it down and repainted with a gloss plastic paint. I was thinking the gloss would be too shiny, but with the texture of the plastic from underneath, it's just fine. I have a few misc things I need to finish cleaning and restoring before posting photos though.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:17   #11
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

The soft touch paint is the crap that wears poorly with age that is on the interior handles & knobs that kind feels like rubber.

I had to strip all of the soft touch paint off first before I repainted what I have. To do that, I used Easy Off Oven Cleaner. It's active ingredient is lye, also known as caustic soda or chemically as sodium hydroxide. You need to wear gloves else it'll eat your skin . It will not damage the plastic, but strips paint of most kinds with relative ease. To repaint, I just picked up some plastic paint from Home Depot. They only had gloss, no semi-gloss, but I don't mind the look for what it's worth.

Define drop the hammer? Can you give us some more info as to how many miles were at one speed and how many were at 55?
Driving 55 requires 2 different things: 1) a different mindset and approach to driving, 2) suitable traffic conditions, which ae hard to come by.

Last edited by Digital Corpus; September 8th, 2010 at 15:33. Reason: clarify soft touch paint
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:47   #12
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Thanks for the "how to" on the soft touch paint. Much better than what I was planning to do.

By "drop the hammer" I ment run with the flow of traffic on I-5 all the way home. Speed was between 70 and 90. Engine rpm was generally 2500 to 2800. 749 miles and 39.365 mpg or 9.5 mpg less than at 55

473 miles at an indicated 55, rpm was below 2000, say 1800. Makes me want to do a longer 5th gear when I get the clutch replaced soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
The soft touch paint is the crap that wears poorly with age that is on the interior handles & knobs that kind feels like rubber.

I had to strip all of the soft touch paint off first before I repainted what I have. To do that, I used Easy Off Oven Cleaner. It's active ingredient is lye, also known as caustic soda or chemically as sodium hydroxide. You need to wear gloves else it'll eat your skin . It will not damage the plastic, but strips paint of most kinds with relative ease. To repaint, I just picked up some plastic paint from Home Depot. They only had gloss, no semi-gloss, but I don't mind the look for what it's worth.

Define drop the hammer? Can you give us some more info as to how many miles were at one speed and how many were at 55?
Driving 55 requires 2 different things: 1) a different mindset and approach to driving, 2) suitable traffic conditions, which ae hard to come by.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; September 9th, 2010 at 11:51.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:01   #13
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

So per a request of which I may post about later if a new thread isn't made by the project creator, I have 3 new photos to add up here of my B4. Unfortunately due to some hardware problems, I have lost my Photoshop PSDs so I only have this one jpeg to tease with until I redo the work after I wake up

Thanks to the powers of Photoshop I did not need to wash my car and I only needed 1 light source even though the composite shows 2

Last edited by Digital Corpus; August 18th, 2012 at 23:21. Reason: fixed broken link
Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:28   #14
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Here are the other two

Last edited by Digital Corpus; August 18th, 2012 at 23:20. Reason: fixed links
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:16   #15
NBnext

Very Nice!