Turn off EGR w/Vag-Com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
If one deletes the EGR from an ALH engine, is it possible to "turn off" the EGR so as the ecm won't throw a code? Or would one need a tune to turn off the EGR?

TIA,
dieselfuel
2003 Jetta TDI

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Search "Narf Mod" or "MAF twist" to reduce the airflow across the MAF element at idle, which is primarily when the EGR is functioning. Turning down the duty cycle via VCDS was popular for awhile, but it messes with and retards the injection timing which can affect power output and fuel economy.

Otherwise Kasper is right, the best permanent way is to "tune it out."

That said, this isn't the best forum section for this sort of question. Hence the statement at the top:
TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
FWIW, I never got a CEL with my race pipe. If you lower the duty cycle to a minimum with VCDS (Vag-Com), you might luck out like me.

But yes, a tune is the best way to go.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Lex4TDI4Life,

Do you mean to use an EGR setting of 370mg/stroke, instead of the factory set 250mg/stroke?

TIA,
df

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Avoiding the Need for Intake Manifold Cleaning - Recalibrating the EGR System - this vehicle is equipped with a CCV (crankcase vent) system and an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. Oily fumes from the CCV system can combine with carbon particles from the EGR system to form a black sticky tar in the intake system. This eventually starts restricting the amount of airflow into the engine, resulting in gradual power loss as the vehicle ages and the intake clogging becomes worse. In rare cases a MIL ("check engine" light) may be tripped, with an intake manifold pressure control code set, but normally this does not happen and no codes are set. Operating conditions, fuel quality, oil quality, driving habits, and general condition of the engine all have some effect on how long the intake system survives before clogging up. It can be prevented and this recalibration is highly recommended for all TDI owners. A VW specific scan tool such as VAG-COM is required for this procedure. With the engine warmed up and running at idle in neutral with all major accessories such as air conditioning turned off, connect the scan tool cable and start the scan tool software. Select engine control module. "Login" using 12233 as the access code. Select "adaptation" and go to adaptation block 3. Give the accelerator pedal a quick "blip" to ensure that the EGR remains turned on for the next minute while you perform the following steps. Note that the display shows a default adaptation value of 32768 and shows approximately 250 +/- 20 mg/stroke of air intake volume. (If it does not show this, you are either on the wrong screen, or you have an older ECU that differs slightly - see next paragraph.) If all is well, enter 33768 as the new adaptation value, and select "test". Note that the displayed air intake volume changes, usually to about 370 mg/stroke. The specification limit is 370 mg/stroke, so if you want to remain within OEM shop manual specifications for emission control reasons, you might have to enter a number slightly smaller than 33768. (If you don't care about road-legal NOx emission limits then leave it at 33768. [Depending on the usage cycle, NOx at this setting can be increased by as much as 40%]) If all is well and you have a seting that you are happy with which results in an intake air volume of 370 mg/stroke or just a hair less, enter "save". Now your intake manifold either will never clog, or will take so long that the engine will wear out first.
Note for '96 Passat and possibly other older ECU variations: The adaptation numbers are in a different range, and you won't be able to get feedback on what you are doing on the same screen. The EGR adaptation number for a '96 Passat with the original "BK" ECU is 188 rather than 33768 and you'll have to go back to "measuring blocks" group 3 to see the effect before "saving" the new setting.
As for warranty, no one has mentioned any problems nor should there be. This adjustment is also completely reversable should one be concerned.
Most provinces and states that do emissions testing on diesels, just check opacity, so this will not be a factor when testing.

http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
Dude, A tune is the only way to do it right.

bluesmoker: Have you ever managed to turn of a EGR light with vag com? Maybe for a week or two, but it later comes back on. Please, kindly stop copy pasting the FAQ.

It cost $100 to get it turned off by a tuner worst case scenario. Its free with a tune. Email Mark.

dieselinside@gmail.com or info@dieselinside.com.

Last edited:

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Flying Kasper said:
Dude, A tune is the only way to do it right.

bluesmoker: Have you ever managed to turn of a EGR light with vag com? Maybe for a week or two, but it later comes back on. Please, kindly stop copy pasting the FAQ.

It cost $100 to get it turned off by a tuner worst case scenario. Its free with a tune. Email Mark.

dieselinside@gmail.com or info@dieselinside.com.
if you read above a member successfully tried the vag com mod, it is an easy and free try

and yes i agree it sometimes doesnt work and a chip tune is the best option

Please kindly stop bashing tuning modules without documented failures, bad dynos, etc

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
FK,

Just finished reading up on the subject somemore and found your post.

Yes, I think I'll leave the setting alone until I get a tune.

Thanks,

df

Bush Hopper

TDI
bluesmoker said:
if you read above a member successfully tried the vag com mod, it is an easy and free try

and yes i agree it sometimes doesnt work and a chip tune is the best option

Please kindly stop bashing tuning modules without documented failures, bad dynos, etc
I am gona bash tuning boxes becuase they are piece of ****. I had 15 of them go threw my hands.

How many EGR's did you ever remove? How many times did you ever turn down the EGR cycle via Ross tech? I tried it about 40 cars. It works for 1-2 weeks, maybe 1-2 days. Its never 100%. Longest it ever lasted was a few months.

Seriously stop posting, you lack experience on these subjects. Do it your self try it, and then suggest it to other people.

Maybe your just such a fan of boxes because your looking for a way to justify the money you wasted. No boxes will ever out perform a good tune. EVER, Period. Impossible. I did it, I tried it.

If anyone wants to take advise from bluesmoker go ahead, but tahts how you end up wasting your money.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
i have never removed an egr , cat or a ccv unlike you:rolleyes:

i have respect for this county's emission laws and my fellow citizen's atmosphere:)

it appears you and some others here simply do not

Bush Hopper

TDI
bluesmoker said:
i have never removed an egr , cat or a ccv unlike you:rolleyes:

i have respect for this county's emission laws and my fellow citizen's atmosphere:)

it appears you and some others here simply do not
I guess I don't. I must be evil that I am not a tree huger. But I have my reason for it. You may have your own opinion on global warming and pollution, not a topic for this tread.

I do not believe in Global warming, and I think there are tones of other industries and forms of transportation that need regulation on emissions, specially the Canadian Railway and Military which have none and are free to do w.e they want. How about Alberta's tar sands and its toxic ponds. How about our oceans getting contaminated by ship dumping crap? How about our Canadian police driving the cruisers like they stole it with no fuel economy in consideration. I seem cops floor the cruizer 200 feet down the road and then hit the brakes for no obvious reason, but to make a corner that they could of drove like a normal person. Cops accelerating of the lights as if they are racing. How about our Canadian police force gets more fuel efficient cars? Plus if your so protecting the environment get a electric car! I will, not only for the environment but because electric cars are darn fast. Just watch a military C130, smoke trail! I am all for regulating those, leave me and my TDI alone!

The implications of me removing a cat on the global scale are none. Specially from a TDI.

Anyway, Remove the EGR and Cats, waste of power.

Last edited:

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Anyway, Remove the EGR and Cats, waste of power.[/quote]

LOL on the tree hugging! I love trees too. The globe IS warming & cat's don't waste power. I've got a Magniflow 2.5" waiting for insallation.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Flying Kasper said:
I guess I don't. I must be evil that I am not a tree huger. But I have my reason for it. You may have your own opinion on global warming and pollution, not a topic for this tread.

I do not believe in Global warming, and I think there are tones of other industries and forms of transportation that need regulation on emissions, specially the Canadian Railway and Military which have none and are free to do w.e they want. How about Alberta's tar sands and its toxic ponds. How about our oceans getting contaminated by ship dumping crap? How about our Canadian police driving the cruisers like they stole it with no fuel economy in consideration. I seem cops floor the cruizer 200 feet down the road and then hit the brakes for no obvious reason, but to make a corner that they could of drove like a normal person. Cops accelerating of the lights as if they are racing. How about our Canadian police force gets more fuel efficient cars? Plus if your so protecting the environment get a electric car! I will, not only for the environment but because electric cars are darn fast. Just watch a military C130, smoke trail! I am all for regulating those, leave me and my TDI alone!

The implications of me removing a cat on the global scale are none. Specially from a TDI.

Anyway, Remove the EGR and Cats, waste of power.
simply not true,just read this article

a tampered vehicle (cat removal, egr delete etc) can produce up to 400 times more CO and NOX in comparison to a road legal car

essentially what happens is when you tamper with your car it is equivalent to adding about 400 more cars to your local airshed with obvious detremental effects on the atmosphere

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1033&page=51

qmark

Veteran Member
TDI
03 VW Golf
again, not a topic for this forum...take it to "people who give a ****" forum.....the only numbers hear we care about are hp/ftlbs...:)

Jethro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9
simply not true,just read this article

a tampered vehicle (cat removal, egr delete etc) can produce up to 400 times more CO and NOX in comparison to a road legal car

essentially what happens is when you tamper with your car it is equivalent to adding about 400 more cars to your local airshed with obvious detremental effects on the atmosphere

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1033&page=51
The issue with research like this is it does not take into account the pollutants created and released into the atmosphere by creation and transportation of the Cat before it's ever ON a car. Don't even get me started on mining the materials to create the catalytic converter grid.

Environmentally friendly my ass. Simpler = Better.

Status
Not open for further replies.