www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 9th, 2010, 00:42   #31
sac48578

Fuel Economy: 32city/40-50 highway

i just had the same problem. Turned out to be the vacuum hose. It cracked right at the plastic support on the firewall. I noticed some of my other cables were getting brittle, so i replaced all the vacuum limes. Takes about 3 meters of hose to replace the smallest diameter hoses. Ran me about $10/meter at the dealership. Just be careful when removing the hose form the vacuum motor for the Anti-shudder valve. I broke the nipple off and i couldn't find anyone who sells a new vacuum motor, everyone wanted to sell me the EGR assembly at about $200. I epoxied a new nipple on and i am hoping it will hold.
sac48578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:52   #32
Harvieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac48578
i just had the same problem. Turned out to be the vacuum hose. It cracked right at the plastic support on the firewall. I noticed some of my other cables were getting brittle, so i replaced all the vacuum limes. Takes about 3 meters of hose to replace the smallest diameter hoses. Ran me about $10/meter at the dealership. Just be careful when removing the hose form the vacuum motor for the Anti-shudder valve. I broke the nipple off and i couldn't find anyone who sells a new vacuum motor, everyone wanted to sell me the EGR assembly at about $200. I epoxied a new nipple on and i am hoping it will hold.
Not meant as an insult for your attempt to DIYS but, this is another example how valuable professional techs. can be when it comes to the seemingly simple procedures. I can provide many other examples but, I think many here will get my drift.

Next time try using a razor or exacto knife to slit the vacuum line at the barbed nipples to prevent what you experienced. Later!
Harvieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 18:22   #33
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac48578
But that's an 03 Jetta. Not even applicable to a B5.5 Passat.
Old June 21st, 2010, 18:26   #34
05PassatWagonTDI

Fuel Economy: 39-40 MPG (highway)

I am kinda confused about what I am experiencing as far as power goes and what is considered a "limp-mode". I do have the PO299 code and the vehicle has no power to pass cars or climb hills. I ended up driving the car mostly on flat ground about 100 miles home @ 70mph. The engine rpms were at 2200 @ 70mph. This didn't seem like the transmission/engine was struggling.......only when I needed to climb a hill or try to pass (no power!)
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:23   #35
Mechnurse
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42+

05PASSATWAGONTDI Have you checked the Turbo outlet hose under the turbo going to the crossover pipe? It tends to leak there and leave a mess, its the seals that can be leaking and causing the P0299 issue. the system is very sensitive to pressure losses and difficult to find the REAL problem. Sometime its a lazy turbo, other times its a cut in the hose or the seals or a vacuum leak. But the car seems to have these issues when your on the pedal lightly. So I had it tuned out to keep from throwing the code. PM me for more info
Mechnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:25   #36
maiorinc

TDI(s): 05 Passat
Default Fix for my 2005 Passat

I am a newbie TDI owner, but am lucky to live close to Lug_Nut. He was kind enough to give my car the once over for this problem a few months back. We did not find any of the issues lists here. I took a chance and ordered a replacement N75 (at least that's what I think it is), and that did the trick for me. A couple of months now with no problems .

I bought the part from impex:
SKU: 117576
ITEM: PRESSURE CONVERTER FOR TURBO
COST: $69.45 ea
http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/german-pressure-converter-for-turbo_117576.html

Cesar
maiorinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 20:18   #37
Biodezl
Veteran Member

I chased after a boost underpressure code with a new N75, new MAF sensor, new MAP sensor, new ERG valve, new vacuum hoses and clamps, new boost hose o-rings and clips, new O2 sensor...and weeks of hassle. I finally discovered a boost leak at the upper end of the intercooler. My tardy diagnostic "success" was made possible with the use of UV-fluorescent dye poured into the intake boost hoses, driving around for a day, and then inspecting with a UV flashlight at night from behind the back of the intercooler, with the belly pan removed. The picture below doesn't really show the appearance of the UV-flourecent dye very well (the digital camera may not be able to "see" the dye color), but the greenish circle is in the approximately location where the dye was found in a "spray" pattern. This vantage point is with my head under the front of the car looking up in the space between the windshield washer reservoir (at top of picture) and the back of the intercooler (at bottom of picture).

2005 Passat Wagon TDI Silver
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Automatic Green
Biodezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:13   #38
Pklink

Fuel Economy: 33-35MPG
Default P0101 and P0299

Hello, fairly new owner of a 2004 Passat TDI Wagon. I am getting the same issues as posted on here, however, I don't know all the lingo. Is there a place to go with a diagram that shows all the hoses you are talking about. Also, would a totally clogged K&N air filter possible cause these problems?

Thanks
Paul
Pklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 13:48   #39
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pklink View Post
Hello, fairly new owner of a 2004 Passat TDI Wagon. I am getting the same issues as posted on here, however, I don't know all the lingo. Is there a place to go with a diagram that shows all the hoses you are talking about. Also, would a totally clogged K&N air filter possible cause these problems?

Thanks
Paul
i don't know of a diagram, but yes, i would think a clogged air filter of any type could cause P0299.

fwiw - i personally would not use a K&N air filter. the OEM air filter is excellent - i'd replace the K&N with OEM.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 19:09   #40
thundershorts
Veteran Member

ditto on the k&n filter. they are known here on the forum to be bad news.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 20:38   #41
SUNRG
Veteran Member

my B5 recently started throwing P0299 and going into limp mode frequently. previously i had resolved this code by replacing a leaking rubber pipe that an electrical wire had worn thru - so i had high hopes that it was just a leak this time too.

unfortunately - it is a turbo failure. 138k miles. or so the dealer claims ...

i'm asking the dealer to replace the o-ring seals on the charge air hoses first, before taking the step of replacing the turbo. i'll report back once this has been resolved.

Last edited by SUNRG; June 22nd, 2011 at 21:19.
SUNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 19:51   #42
alvajaalni

I originally posted in this thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=321614), but I suspect this would be the more appropriate area.

I recently pulled the air cleaner box to change the filter. Soon after that was done, the car would sporadically 'limp'. I would restart and everything would seem fine, but within a few days it became more frequent. Then I got the P0299 code.

I looked at all of the lines as best I could without pulling the air cleaner again, and since I couldn't find any leaks I reset the code. Well as soon as I got done and started the car again I got the 'Emissions Workshop' notice and the P0299 code was set again.

Reading through the forums here (GREAT resource ) I saw a lot if info about the N75 valve and wondered if that may be my newest issue, but it was still very coincidental that it happened soon after I did the air filter change. So today I removed the air cleaner again so I could get a better view of the lines around where I worked and also the N75 valve (not that I could tell much from just looking at it).

I didn't see anything out of order until I looked closer again at the line connected to the turbo actuator. The line had a hole where the connector had worn through the hose. I've opened it up a bit more so it is very visible now, but I didn't see it on my first few inspections.

I'm now looking where to buy new vacuum hose and hoping my issue is just that simple - that is unless I break the N75 valve trying to remove the old hose.

I have some pics, but it appears my settings won't allow attachments.
alvajaalni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 07:09   #43
KALaBenne
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35.2 MPG

I haven't been on here much in the last few years, but I thought I would chime in on my experiences with this particular problem.
I changed Oil, Air, and Fuel filters this past weekend and when I drove it I had my first experience with limp mode. The car threw an Emissions Workshop warning as well as a check engine light. I don't have VAG-COM so I used a generic code reader on Monday to discover P0299 generic turbo underboost. After researching around here for a bit and reading this thread, I decided to dig and see if I could find the issue. I found one of the vacuum hoses one the front part of the engine below the turbo inlet pipe had seperated while I was yanking on the airbox cover to replace the air filter. I had to remove the the air intake duct (3-phillips screws) so I could get my hands in there to but it back together. The CEL is gone and turbo is operating normally.

Big thanks to the tdiclub!
Gotta drive...

'82 MB 300D(turbo) 290K Tornado Survivor/Daily Driver
KALaBenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 17:05   #44
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

Mine has been fine all summer long. The underboost message re-appeared with cooler mornings of autumn. (hint-hint)
I have now discovered that by using the Frostheater to preheat the car in advance I have had no underboost faults.

No, I STILL haven't located the true cause of my fault, but it's apparently engine temperature related.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:41   #45
Richptl

Fuel Economy: 44 Average

A Passat owner near me has been having fits with this issue and has tried about everything. The previous owner used veg oil. A short run with veg oil yields a big build-up on the charge air tubing. So he wants to try my Provent 200
* Could build-up of oil on the compressor wheel stifle its' boost output?
* Could a plugged EGR cooler change the mass flow into the engine? Low EGR means more exhaust to spin the turbo, but then more air to pressurize. Who wins in an uphill, low rpm scenario? Could less EGR actually lower the boost and cause the P0299 code?
Richptl is offline   Reply With Quote