www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 14th, 2010, 09:24   #1
dieselDaveB

Default Quantity Adjuster N146

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

I have a 2000 New Beetle with a 1.9L TDI (ALH).

The problem is when it gets cold the car will cut out and dies. After setting for 10 min. it will restart and run for 5 or so miles and then dies again over and over. It generly starts at high way speeds but once it starts it will cut out at slow speeds as well.

When I scaned the car I got the following codes:
17971 - Quantity adjuster (N146) - Lower limit reached
17762 - Modulating piston movement sensor (G149): Electrical Malfunction
17571 - Fuel temp sennsor (G81): Open or short to Plus
17660 - Commencement of injection valve (N108): Open or short to ground - Intermittent

When playing around with my Vag-Com I found in Group 019 (Quantity adjuster) the following:

Piston sens start = 0.680v - This looks ok
Piston sen stop = 0.00v - This looks bad to me but the car was running when I scaned it.

I think the problem is with Quantity adjuster but how do you check this thing out I can find almost nothing on checking this sensor out.

With that said this is what I know the problem is not - Fuel filter (new) nor is it a problem with fuel jelling (put the fuel from the filter in a jar and looked for water and jelling) - Timing belt (Timing is all most dead nuts on) - Also the car starts fine in the cold.

How do you check the sensors on this pump out? The manual said that if almost any of the sensors are bad you need to replace the Injection pump but does not tell you how to test the sensor. I'm do not want to replace the pump if the problem is some ware else.

I'm about ready to kick this car to the curb it is the most unrelible vehical I own.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

dave
dieselDaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 10:09   #2
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Dave, seems to be the right place to me.
How many miles are on the NB IP?? I don't have any light to shed on this issue, but others that do will want to know. I do know there are some things inside the pump that are serviceable by mortals, lots of other stuff only by the few trusted place(s) equipped/trained to rebuild these units.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 10:11   #3
KLXD
Veteran Member

If all these issues came on at once I would start by looking for an electrical problem. The first three are on a seven pin plug on the pump the last one is on a smaller plug with the fuel supply solenoid. (unless they are all on one with the ALH)

If you have the Bentley manual the wiring diagram with identify the connectors. I believe the CD manual has more troubleshooting steps for the individual components on the pump.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote