www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old January 12th, 2010, 21:13   #1
RuneTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-50mpg
Default best route ny to florida?

we're driving to florida next month and i was wondering if anyone knows the best way to drive through the dc/baltimore area? i know there are some options, so i'm looking for someone that knows this. we'll be leaving ny on a saturday at 3am and our goal is savannah, georgia, by saturday afternoon/evening. from there, i'm estimating about 6 hours to orlando. thanks.
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:04   #2
bigwoode
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32-36 city, 42-51 hwy

Depending on when you pass through DC, it can vary. For reference, when we travelled from Buffalo to Richmond to Raleigh we just stuck on I-95, but we also passed through there around midnight or so.

"There's some ridiculous joke about how "gas" doesn't work too well. It's beyond old." - jcrews
bigwoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:06   #3
in2dwww
Veteran Member

There is the completely pointless Amtrak Auto Train from VA to FL:
http://gosoutheast.about.com/od/tran.../autotrain.htm

I'm not sure what time of year it runs, and it won't help you, but that's an option! (Only if you're interested in getting there slower and more uncomfortably.)
in2dwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:34   #4
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuneTDI
we're driving to florida next month and i was wondering if anyone knows the best way to drive through the dc/baltimore area?
There is no "best" route, Rune. That area seems to be a disaster 24/7 I'd give strong consideration to the inland route along I81 to I77. Sure, it adds a few miles, but at least you'll be moving vs. crawling thru the DC area and killing hours. (It used to be you could sneak thru in the middle of the night, that doesn't always seem to be the case nowadays.)
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:38   #5
VWWV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48hw/36town

Rune......if you are into history and have interest in WWII.....near Savannah on I 95 there is the 8th Air Force Museum at Pooler. It is a great experience. We stay at that exit each trip back to Fl and there are several adequate motels right there. The museum is right off the interstate. You'll see a B 47 alongside the interstate. A late afternoon arrival at Pooler will give you enough time to "do" the museum before dinner. 6 to 7 hours to Orlando from Pooler is about right.....heavy traffic in Jacksonville excepted. Bring money....we took a hard economic hit from the recent weather. Don't waste time looking for biodiesel in central Florida....not commercially available. Try to stage the filling of your tank to be in SC on the trip back (for two reasons): the fuel is more likely to be winterized and the price is the best along the southern parts of I 95.

WV - where relativity is more than just a theory.

TERM LIMITS NOW
VWWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 21:33   #6
RuneTDI
Veteran Member

good points, people. i'm leaving ny around 3am, sat, so i will pass through the dc area around 7ish. hope that works. we'll stop for breakfast after that. the pooler exit was looking good to stop over for the night. i would love to see that museum. thanks everybody. dieseldorf- nice to "hear" from you again.

still a month away, so please keep the ideas coming. thanks, rune
Old January 13th, 2010, 22:34   #7
Dodoma
Veteran Member

Since the drive routes are no good, take Amtrak. Your driving fuel cost should offset rail fair and you car will not put any mileage. Moreover, there is not fatigue involved.
Dodoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 22:47   #8
raybo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 45 MPG avg mostly highway; JSW high 30's around town

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldorf
There is no "best" route, Rune. That area seems to be a disaster 24/7 I'd give strong consideration to the inland route along I81 to I77. Sure, it adds a few miles, but at least you'll be moving vs. crawling thru the DC area and killing hours. (It used to be you could sneak thru in the middle of the night, that doesn't always seem to be the case nowadays.)
This route doesn't add that much time or miles - much nicer. You also have the opportunity to take the Blue Ridge Parkway for some of the trip, which is really fun.

Ray
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:07   #9
k1xv
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09 TDI sedan
Fuel Economy: 40 mpg overall, up to 50 on some trips

I don't think the Baltimore or DC area should be that bad on a Saturday morning.

You could pick up US 301 south in Delaware, go across the Bay Bridge into Annapolis MD, then head west for the Beltway.

Your time constraints don't seem to allow much for deviation from the Interstate direct route.
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:50   #10
daBooj
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 67/60/43

I second the 81/77 option. I stay off of 95 when I get the chance. It's not fun even without the people. 81 is a much nicer road to travel on. The time estimate and mileage difference (given by google maps) is trivial compared with the frustrations of 95.
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:24   #11
Ton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-51

If you decide to take I-95- take east side 695 around Baltimore ,you have to pay toll but you can move. I'm all for I-81 but that plugs up with trucks. Liberty stations have B-5 along I-81.

Last edited by Ton; January 15th, 2010 at 10:28.
Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 15:33   #12
RuneTDI
Veteran Member

i like the 81/77 idea. never thought of that. its 85 miles longer , but most likely, less headaches. will the traffic on a saturday (its the 13th of feb- presidents week) be a big difference on 81/77 compared to 95? also, is there any way to find out about ongoing construction on these? at columbia, sc, am i taking 26 to 95?
Old January 15th, 2010, 19:44   #13
Digital4n6
Veteran Member

I travel the Baltimore/DC/Richmond route at least twice a week. You'll be fine skirting through early Saturday. Exit 104 on I-95 for Mr. Fuel is the best (and cheapest) place for diesel, and it's rated at 45 cetane. Tune into 103.5fm for "WTOP" for "traffic updates every 10 minutes on the 8s" while heading near the DC area.

I'm just 4 miles off I-95 exit 84B in Richmond and am here on weekends if you would like to save some hotel loot and stay in my guest room, let me know.

Once you're headed down to the Carolinas, you'll see plenty of "South of the Border" tourist trap billboards. They are great and start about 100 miles out.

Get an EZ-Pass if you don't already have one. Works from Maine to Florida, and you'll only really need it on the NY bridges and NJ expressways/turnpikes. Borrow one from a buddy and reimburse if you need to, well worth having for discounted rates and high speed lanes.
Digital4n6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 20:00   #14
chimmike
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05.5 A5

I think the 495-895-595 route around DC/Baltimore is the best. Done it quite a few times but it's been a few years. I do remember that I95 itself ends right in the middle of DC so you've got to take one of those roundabout x95's haha
chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:43   #15
ofhs93
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/46/42

One more option...which I tend to use. Take 81 south to Harrisburg...then take 15 south to 270...which runs into the beltway on the west side of DC...this route avoids MOST of the possible DC traffic and cuts out Philly and Baltimore completely...it is also not the 85 extra miles that the 81-77 route gives you.
-------------------
99.5 Black Jetta 5spd: 178k RC3 + PP520s =
03 Silver Jetta GLS 5spd: 175k MFA cluster, Hella E-Codes, rear fog, no power mods...for now
ofhs93 is offline   Reply With Quote