06 TDI DSG Transmission Failure at 65k?????!!!

Jim E.

I have an 06 Jetta TDI that I picked up around April of 2006 and the other day it started making some crazy noises. Sounded like a gas engine without oil.
I checked the oil, which I had changed religiously, and took it to the dealer.
Got a call back today and I'm told "the flywheel exploded and caused the transmission to fail. There are also metal shavings in the oil."
I had complained some time ago about an intermittent noise but I was told that it was likely normal.
Has anyone ever heard of such a failure???
Any advice as to how I should handle this?
Thanks,
Jim

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
They recalled the 2009s and plenty of 05-06s have had their flywheels replaced.

This should be a warrantied item, but you'll have to fight for it. The bumper to bumper ended 5k ago.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Do you have a record of complaining to the dealer?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Thats horrible, sounds like you are on your own on this one since it apears your out of warranty. Good luck, sounds like a $5K repair.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Almost every single DSG-equipped car with over 60k miles I have through this shop has a DMF (dual-mass flywheel) getting ready to blow apart.

So yes, it is VERY common.

The part itself has been updated twice since these left the factory, but they may still be having problems as evidence by even the newer cars still blowing them up.

This is largely why I do not like the DSG. At least with a manual transmission, you have the option of getting rid of the DMF forever.

I wish I would have gotten a picture of the 2004 NB in here I had with its DMF 'sploded. Cracked the bellhousing, the oil pan, and busted the rear mount boss.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
D-Cell_Mekanick said:
Thats horrible, sounds like you are on your own on this one since it apears your out of warranty. Good luck, sounds like a $5K repair.
Makes buying a good extended warranty from an A-rated company seem like a good idea, contrary to what others have said on this forum. :confused:

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Oilhammer,

That's sounds like an amazing failure rate. Do the new/replacement DMF's improve on the original? Is there an easy way to physically check a DMF for incipient failure? (Sorry, I'm sure that last question is probably in at least 3 other threads.)

At the risk of jinxing myself, I've got 105K miles on mine. I don't have the reporting clunking on 1-2 upshifts or downshifts. I haven't noticed any "clancking" noises while idling. The only "odd" noise I've ever noticed was a very faint popcorn-machine like noise while idling with the top engine cover off.

Tom

Edit: Through the power of search I found the thread that highlights the signs of impending DMF failure:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=232970&highlight=DMF+symptoms

Last edited:

Jim E.

D-Cell_Mekanick said:
That's the last thing you want to tell a commercial lawyer for a known defect.

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Almost every single DSG-equipped car with over 60k miles I have through this shop has a DMF (dual-mass flywheel) getting ready to blow apart.

Not to try to hijack the thread but....

Makes me wonder about my flywheel. I am at 93K miles and bought the car with 68K miles. No apparent signs of the flywheel going. And looking at the Carfax, it does not appear to have been changed before I owned the car.

I have always had a slight vibration from about 2000-2500 rpm. Just recently I got a new tune from Kerma and now the vibration is a little more pronounced. I was thinking maybe motor mounts.

Could this vibration be flywheel related?

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Invader, vibe could be flywheel, if you haven't had one yet, I would do one for preventative, I got mine done under warranty.

I see about 50% of the DSG flushes I do are defective flywheels and send the customers to the dealer if still under warranty.

The DSG scares me, because I cant repair much on it, I can do the flush/megatronics/drive clutches..That is about it..It anything else happens then I have to buy a DSG to the tune of $4500, flywheel-another $700. Labor and taxes are another ~$2000..Scary...

I have seen a couple people from here dump their cars because of this.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Every day I am more and more thankful I got the manual. (But my flywheel fell apart too, at least I can get a single mass replacement for it)

Jim E.

kcfoxie said:
Every day I am more and more thankful I got the manual. (But my flywheel fell apart too, at least I can get a single mass replacement for it)
I agree with you but my wife doesn't drive a manual.

oilhammer

TDI
Did she lose a limb or something? I asked my wife, and she assured me her mommy parts do not inhibit her use of a manual transmission. She does have small boobs though. :p

sudseh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 4door
I find that rather unusual as well.
Most people I know either know how to drive manual, or have some desire to learn.
Both females in my immediate family know how to drive manual. One taught me, and I taught the other.

oilhammer

TDI
tatertuned said:
so nebody want an 06 jetta 85000 miles? im scared now...
Well, nothing to be scared of, just keep a close ear on any noises at idle from the bellhouse area, and if you hear any, replace the DMF right away.

At 85k miles, your DSG oil should have just been replaced for the second time (80k), and that is when I usually get a good listen, because I have the car idling over my head as I adjust the ATF level.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Jim E. said:
I agree with you but my wife doesn't drive a manual.
In the 80s my dad's best friend (and my dad) did something that their wives never forgot.

They both got honda manuals on a friday and were told "Figure it out or don't go to work."

My mother refused, car sat for months, she wasn't working (actually quit to take care of me, as I had just been born) and my dad was like *** and had to sell it.

The other wife enjoyed the challenge.

Barring phsyical limitations... "I can't" isn't an excuse to not know how to drive a more dependable transmission.

Just my opinion, mind you.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
When my other Exploder finally died and we had decided my wife would get the new car, her wanting a manual limited us. Kind of ironic, even with traffic in our area she won't go back to auto.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
oilhammer said:

The part itself has been updated twice since these left the factory, but they may still be having problems as evidence by even the newer cars still blowing them up.

This is largely why I do not like the DSG. At least with a manual transmission, you have the option of getting rid of the DMF forever.

I wish I would have gotten a picture of the 2004 NB in here I had with its DMF 'sploded. Cracked the bellhousing, the oil pan, and busted the rear mount boss.
Why will the DSG not accept a SMF? Mine is getting a little noisy with the clunk into 2nd or 1st when it's cold. The problem is that my better half will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" I'm thinking I should just sell both TDI's and buy a couple used Camry "Couch Models".

Last edited:

tatertuned

TDI
12v cummins
oilhammer said:
Well, nothing to be scared of, just keep a close ear on any noises at idle from the bellhouse area, and if you hear any, replace the DMF right away.

At 85k miles, your DSG oil should have just been replaced for the second time (80k), and that is when I usually get a good listen, because I have the car idling over my head as I adjust the ATF level.

how ,uch you charge to change oil...pm if you dont mind...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Ted Hurst said:
Why will the DSG not accept a SMF? Mine isgetting a little noisy with the clunk into 2nd or 1st when it's cold. The problem is that my better half will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" I'm thinking I should just sell both TDI's and buy a couple used Camry "Couch Models".
Tell her if you wait till it's broke it adds $4k to the cost.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Lightflyer1 said:
Tell her if you wait till it's broke it adds $4k to the cost.
Yeah, I guess I'm being a little irrational. It's too bad these things have to be like time bombs because the sound doesn't bother me but the thought of an exploding DMF does. I'm not even sure mine is that bad.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
they all have a certian life span.

I saw a youtube video some one posted of a 3D anitmation how the DMF is constructed, it's not a lifetime part. Some designs and processes just delay the distruction.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
Ted Hurst said:
Why will the DSG not accept a SMF? Mine is getting a little noisy with the clunk into 2nd or 1st when it's cold. The problem is that my better half will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" I'm thinking I should just sell both TDI's and buy a couple used Camry "Couch Models".
I am only guessing but I suspect the smaller clutches used in the DSG would have major problems trying to control judder. It would probably not have a very smooth take off and would likely result in even more expensive gear damage. The DSG seems better suited to gasoline powered vehicles from what I have seen.

SonyAD

banned Borat
TDI
Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi
It's a bad idea, no matter the design. The flywheel inertia normally absorbs or dampens some of the vibration before it ever reaches the clutch disk springs. Otherwise they would fail în quick order as well, like the DMF springs or whatever it uses. This in addition to the fact that, all else being equal, a more complex part or system is bound to be less reliable.

The only reason they're used, that I can see, is to reduce the NVH for mechanically clueless buyers.

I can't see how such a thing as engine vibration, that makes it through the a solid flywheel inertia, could be damaging to helical gears with involute tooth profile inside a modern transmission. Trucks should have been failing transmissions left and right for many decades now.

Besides, vibration and transmission shock loading mitigation (when clueless drivers downshift, for example or drop the hammer on a launch) is the reason why engines are free to pivot a certain amount on their supports.

Basically, VW and others fit DMFs to diesel passenger cars so soccer moms will buy them.

Last edited: