www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:07   #1
lmrjlr

Fuel Economy: 55 MPG
Default Rough Idle

After replacing the seals on my injection pump I am experiencing a rough idle. The car runs fine during normal driving speed. I first I suspected dirt in the lines or injectors so I added some injector cleaner to the tank but it did not help the situation.
Has anyone had any experience with changing out the Engine Speed Sensor? Could this be the problem? Or do I need to clean the Inector?
lmrjlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 15:28   #2
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

The crank position sensor rarely fails. When it does, the engine won't start.

Which car are you referring to?

What is your IQ set at? i.e. Injection Quantity?

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 19:49   #3
lmrjlr

this is on my 2000 bug . how would I know the IQ?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 21:48   #4
rackaracka
Veteran Member

Need more information... Did You change the seals or did You have a trusted mechanic do the work? Did they or do You have a VCDS to read the IQ (Injection Quantity) and then re-set the proper values with mechanical adjustments to the head? Was the IP removed fro the car?
rackaracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:24   #5
lmrjlr

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I changed the seals out myself. I did not remove the Injection Pump form the car. I did the seals on my 98 without any problems so I thought I would not on this one. Looks like the same pump to me. No I do not have a VCDS. I did it according to the instructions on the sight.[/FONT]
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:20   #6
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG 20%hwy,80% citi;48 MPG hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmrjlr
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I changed the seals out myself. I did not remove the Injection Pump form the car. I did the seals on my 98 without any problems so I thought I would not on this one. Looks like the same pump to me. No I do not have a VCDS. I did it according to the instructions on the sight.[/font]
This is common problem when you do pump seals with out VCDS and taking IQ volume before replacing seals. Most likely you have low IQ and you need to adjust it. Only way to that is with VCDS (VAG-COM).
I bet you in cold morning is getting worst, then when engine get hot it get little better.
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
YES I can Do It ,MK5 Needle Illumination
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:46   #7
Dodoma
Veteran Member

Why would you need to adjust IQ volume when the pump was not distrubed?. Moreover, Imrjlr did the same procedure before without problem. See if replacing the filter helps. Also, if my understanding is right, the ecu determines IQ volume based on other parameters.
Dodoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:59   #8
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodoma
Why would you need to adjust IQ volume when the pump was not distrubed?. Moreover, Imrjlr did the same procedure before without problem. See if replacing the filter helps. Also, if my understanding is right, the ecu determines IQ volume based on other parameters.
Read the FIRST post:
Quote:
After replacing the seals on my injection pump I am experiencing a rough idle
He needs to check the IQ and adjust via hammer mod.

Tony

Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 13:30   #9
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG 20%hwy,80% citi;48 MPG hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodoma
Because he did upper seal and when you move that even if you make mark on pump you will have to adjust IQ.
Movement is in micro mm, so you can't see with eye. That why you need take IQ volume before you replacing seals to know how much you need put back when you replace seals.
I did a few ,and newer have been able to put it back same way that it was. I had to adjust with VCDS, or hammer mod.
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
YES I can Do It ,MK5 Needle Illumination
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:02   #10
lmrjlr

Just to let everyone know I did get the rough Idle fixed with the Hammer and wood block method. I did it with the engine running. I do not own a VAGCOM and I am sure it is not perfect but it is 90% improved. Before this my idle speed was around 1100 and rough. now it is around 750 to 800 - and smooth idle. Who would have believed that a ball pein hammer and a 4x4 wood block could fix my problem. Thanks again.
Old April 11th, 2010, 13:58   #11
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

That RPM is a little low. Spec is 903.

Tony
Old April 11th, 2010, 14:42   #12
egibbys
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: High 51.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJetta
That RPM is a little low. Spec is 903.
Perhaps he is guessing about where it is since he doesn't have VAGCOM. Although I was unaware that the hammer mod messed with the idle speed. I have done this to my car and my idle was unaffected.

My idle used to sit at 903 rpms and then drop to 840 after sitting for 10 seconds. This made my idle very rough and not tolerable. I used VAGCOM and raised the idle to around 990rpms. Don't know if this is recommended but it helped smooth out the idle a bit. It also got my IQ to stay in one place. When the rpm drops the IQ bounces a lot. So lets say its at 4.0, it would bounce from 3.8 - 4.6. Just all over the place. Now it tends to vary only by 0.2. My IQ is currently at 5.0.

I've been told that the fuel quantity adjuster is warn out inside the pump. Does that sound right? I was told that the only way to fix the problem was to get a new pump.

Last edited by egibbys; April 11th, 2010 at 14:48.
egibbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 14:57   #13
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

The mod does not affect the idle, but fuel will.

The pump may wear, but you can adjust it doing the mod. There should be no need to replace the pump unless you can no longer get it to stay in spec.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 15:15   #14
egibbys
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: High 51.5

Are you refering to the timing? Cause its pretty close to "within spec". It bounces in and out of the area on the graph. Its just a little low. The mechanic says he can't get it any closer.