FS - Terminal release tools, the awethum ugly ones!

penclnck

I'm not making the terminal release tools anymore.

If you want a set of these release tools, you best grease up your elbows!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4578560

I was making them manually one at a time and I don't have as much free time now and I've lost the passion for making them as well. I am researching on having parts of them manufactured for me but it will involve a hefty investment. I want to be able to offer a product that works as good, if not better, than the ones I've sold to many my diesel brothers here... but keep the price the same. I have no time table on when I all this will happen, or even if it will happen. But if things work out, I won't keep it a secrete.

For what it's worth, I'm wanting to use the profits from the OEM Butt Connectors to help fund the terminal release tools.

Thank you.

jollyGreenGiant said:
Swapped a bad quantity adjuster last night, this tool certainly made it easier to pop out the 2 wires on the 10 pin IP connector that stay with the pump ( N108 valve ). Definately easier to use than a paperclip and does a better job with the stubburn ones, I've got a few of the other electrical connector removal tools from Snap-On and Mac, this is much better.
Left Coast Resident said:
Used them today to wire up the lift pump. They were great -- and maybe impossible to do without.
mtltdi said:
I spent a couple of hours trying to release the barbs on some radio cd changer harness wires. No luck, and I had to dremel the plastic on the connector to get the wire out. I ordered this micro release tool and when it came in I had 10-3 pin connectors (for those mk5 sirens) that needed the wires removed. It literally took 5 minutes to get the 30 wire ends out. No jiggling, no hassles, just push in to the end where the tool gets wider, and pull out the wire. Thanks for the great addition to my tool box!
mtltdi said:
Micro tool just saved me again while removing the wires from my passenger side mirror that fell apart today. The bracket is made of zinc like the antenna base.
paramedick said:
You'll really like them.
compu_85 said:
I'll vote for another "You'll love them". Slip the tool in and the wires slip out.
compu_85 said:
Said it before and I'll say it again, I love my set!

-Jason
letterman52 said:
Great seller. I love mine.
diesel-dave said:
these work great, makes terminal work a cinch, well done!!!
ritsco said:
I got a set and they are very nice and work great. Nice tools!
Curious Chris said:
They are so cool and he packaged them very cleverly.
New and improved plastic case for them now, takes up less space in your tool box, and I'm a bit tired of generic Kool Aid type drinks.

danski0224 said:
I think they are vaporware
I make these in very limited numbers, and I don't send out request for payments until I have a pair ready to ship. If for reasons I'm not able to make tools, there can be a bit of a delay in my response.

These tools are my version of the factory tools that can be purchased at your local dealer. The factory tools are VAS 1978/16 and VAS 1978/18. I think they cost about $80... per tool.

If you are doing wiring harness work, be sure to check out the OEM butt connectors I sell as well.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

penclnck

I've got a few pairs on hand ready to ship. IM me with your Paypal account info (email address) and I'll send you a request of payment.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
These are INCREDIBLE!

I've spent more hours of my life trying to use both the multi-sided pin removal tool sold by many different makers or using the paperclip method.

I had gotten pretty proficient at making the perfectly angled paperclip...

These remove the wires quickly, the two sizes covers everything on a VW, and greatly lessens the chance of braking a wire. Comfortable too!

These really are beyond fantastic, so thank you for making them available.

penclnck

I make the terminal release tools on a limited basis, mainly due to how much free time I have to spend on making them.

When anyone wishes to purchase, please send me an IM with your city/state and email address. When I have a set ready to ship, I'll send you a request of payment via Paypal. I never ask for the payment until I've got a set ready to ship for a given person, so there may be a delay in my response.

Gstspeedster can confirm this now I guess. I found his 2 post above this one a few hours after I sent him a request of payment, his name was at the top of the waiting list.

Thank you to everyone who has purchased these... the profits have been spent in a way everyone would approve as noted in my sig file after "wagon":)

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Used mine today for the first time on my G60 fuel rail harness and it was perfect.... Way better than the bobby pin method I used to use - wife likes it better too.:)

Spankymcgee

TDI
1981 VW Rabbit
Hey Penclnck sorry to hound you at every turn but I was looking to buy a set of these before the weekend so I could depin some harnesses next weekend, Could you check your PM and send me a request for payment on paypal? Thank you very much.

penclnck

I'm not going to be able to make any of the tools for a short while. The trans in my car seems to of crapped out, I suspect the diff. I am going to get my car back up and running before I start making tools. Feel free to send an IM requesting a set, include your city/state and email address. When I start making them again, I'll send a request of payment when said awethum tools are ready.

Thank you.

Spankymcgee

TDI
1981 VW Rabbit
I will definitely send you that PM unless someone on here is done with theirs and would like to sell them.

I am going to send the message anyway and I do hope you get everything gets sorted on your car.

Take Care

penclnck

Please note that I do not have as much time to make these anymore. It isn't that I'm just ignoring request, but rather I just don't have any made to sale. I did make 2 sets today and set a few people private messages about them since they were first on the waiting list.

Still send me a request, if you don't hear back from me right away, it just means I have none to sell. I will never request a payment for something I don't have ready to ship.

Thank you.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I just got mine yesterday and used them for the first time. HOLY CRAP! How I lived without them, I'll never know. Best $44 I've spent in years, period.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Penclnck,

I sent you a PM a couple of days ago wondering if you are still making these?

Let me know, please.

Thanks,

Kirk

penclnck

I am researching on making a newer version of the "awethum" terminal release tools but do not have a release date set. Making the ugly versions takes too much of time that I have too little of. Hope to make a better tool in with less hassle. If everything works out, I won't keep it a secrete. But in the meantime, I'm not making any more terminal release tools.

Thank you.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I have a couple terminals that I need to release. I have tried everything from wire to cotter pins to thumbtacks. Nothing works. Since this tool is currently not available, am I pretty much screwed?

I want this tool so badly!!!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Not to deprive penclnck of potential sales, but being that he's not making/selling them right now, I hope this is ok: I think that one might be able to fashion something workable if you can get a pair of tweezers and grind down the last 1cm on each "leg" to 1mm or 2mm, and then bend the legs so that last 1cm of each leg runs parallel to one another.

The problem will be that the metal used in a pair of tweezers is going to be super-soft compared to those in penclnck's tools (of which I own a set, by the way, and am very grateful for). And if the metal of the tweezer gets stuck in there and snaps off......well, then you have another whole set of issues. Proceed at your own risk....

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i love these tools, i'm so glad i got a set, but we need more of them!!! make more! :) i know of a couple people already who want them too...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have a couple terminals that I need to release. I have tried everything from wire to cotter pins to thumbtacks. Nothing works. Since this tool is currently not available, am I pretty much screwed?

I want this tool so badly!!!

Find an old pair of wiper blades and take the metal strip out of them. Cut about a 10" piece off, and file down both ends, then bend it in half. This is what I use currently, and while it's sort of ugly, it works OK once you get used to it.

I'd love to have his set though.

The wiper blade strips are also great for removing the factory radio and the headlight switch.