www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old January 17th, 2010, 20:53   #16
reynolcj
Veteran Member

Jason, I would stay on them to get that sorted out. It's not a 'cheap' venture after the software and dependent on what hardware you pick up. I'm curious to hear about their customer service...the other curious thing is if others are having the same issue...theoretically, if it's a bug it should be affecting more than you, if not everyone, right? Keep us posted!
reynolcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 13:38   #17
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

I am currently working wit Jay Jones from Devtoaster and gaining some ground.

I will keep this thread updated with progress.

Last edited by JASONP; January 20th, 2010 at 18:36.
JASONP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 17:59   #18
JASONP
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP
I am currently working wit Jay Jones from Devtoaster and gaining some ground.

I will keep this thread updated with progress.
UPDATE;
Nothing to update, still no response from Devtoaster, I have enabled the GATHER INFO function and automatically emails the service dept., but no response as of yet.
Old January 26th, 2010, 13:19   #19
JASONP
Veteran Member

UPDATE:
Do not purchase this product for a MKIV, the support guy is a idiot and I know the product better than he does.
Can't figure out what I'm sending him, have to send him an email 3-4 times on the same topic before he understands.

Over all not impressed with the product or service, so much for OUT OF A JOB YET,KEEP BUYING FOREIGN stickers, you've all seen em.
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:09   #20
adamek

Default What scanner to buy

Requirement 1: Read codes (and reset the intermittent P0722 / G38 speed sensor problem code I have in wet weather).
Requirement 2: Provide mpg readout (other nifty gauges would be a plus).
Option 1: VAG-COM; $250 + a windows computer I don't have. Too expensive for now.
Option 2: iPhone (which I have) + DashCommand http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...hone/index.php ; $29.99 + Kiwi WiFi Module; $149.99 = $179.98 total.
Possible, but I don't know how well it will read or clear VW specific codes. Does anyone know of less expensive OBD/WiFi modules?
Option 3: ScanGauge II, $159.99.
Only $20 less than Option 2
Option 4: Kiwi MPG, http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwimpg/buynow.html; $89.99
Looks like the same features as ScanGauge II, but $70 less. What's the catch?
Any other suggestions or options?

No mods yet.
adamek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:31   #21
adamek

Short update: Anyone have any experience with the Kiwi WiFi module? Anyone have any good experience with cheaper OBD-WiFi modules?

No mods yet.
Old March 7th, 2010, 12:12   #22
JASONP
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamek
Short update: Anyone have any experience with the Kiwi WiFi module? Anyone have any good experience with cheaper OBD-WiFi modules?
Thats what this thread is all about is the REV DEVToatser, they just call KiwiWiFi.

Not worth it in my opinion.
Fuel level -Not supported
EGT-not supported
Fuel Consumption- inversley proportioned and doesn't read properly
Several; other PID's not supported as well, just can't remember what ones since I don't use it that much.
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:44   #23
adamek

http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

Kiwi Wifi (US Made) doesn't support a lot of the codes. OBDkey and ElmCanII-WLAN support many more but are more expensive. Haven't got one yet, but my employer's supposed to have profit sharing in August (first time in a couple of years) and I might buy an OBDkey and REV then.

No mods yet.
Old June 25th, 2010, 08:44   #24
740GLE
Veteran Member

it doesn't look like ElmCanII-WLAN is made anymore, at least you can't get it from the site linked to from the Dev site.

What I'd like to see is software that suports the cheaper bluetooth dongles, unless there is less throughput with bluetooth, then I guess I'd just like cheaper Wifi module.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:13   #25
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

EGT will only be supported if the ECU can read it. The Passat 2.0l TDI has an EGT guage, so on that car you can read it. On most OEM's there is no EGT guage, so there is nothing to read. OBDII supports EGT but if the sensor is not there, you obviously cannot read it.
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:25   #26
740GLE
Veteran Member

Agreed for older mkiv, but of all the sensors on a 2010, one of them has be able to spit out EGT to a gauge. Heck by that thought, I should be able to monitor my differential pressure across my DPF to see when it'll do a regen.

I think what we'd all want to see is an iphone/andrioid app of vagcom. I'd gladdly plunk down the $350 or whatever for that level of support for my car.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:03   #27
adamek

Default Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
What I'd like to see is software that suports the cheaper bluetooth dongles, unless there is less throughput with bluetooth, then I guess I'd just like cheaper Wifi module.
Not Rev's fault. It's the hardware/software engineers at Apple who only built a subset of the different bluetooth protocols into the iPhone.

No mods yet.
Old July 10th, 2010, 17:48   #28
ZiggyTheHamster
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamek View Post
Not Rev's fault. It's the hardware/software engineers at Apple who only built a subset of the different bluetooth protocols into the iPhone.
It's software. Their Bluetooth hardware stack is fairly robust. They just figured that their customers would never, say, send pictures over Bluetooth. Like every free phone for the past few years. So they only have a very tiny subset of the Bluetooth stack programmed. And if you're an App Store app, your options are to make your own "Made for iPhone" (you pay more) adapter, or use their Bluetooth stack (which will obviously not work since they don't have a Bluetooth serial port in their stack). If you were an app on Cydia, you could write the missing part of the stack (not hard if you know what you're communicating with), inject it when your app loads, and support Bluetooth OBD scanners.

So yes, blame Apple. But blame the front-end people. The engineers designing their hardware have nothing to do with the marketing people that tell the programmers what to code and what not to code.
ZiggyTheHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 18:02   #29
Uwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
I think what we'd all want to see is an iphone/andrioid app of vagcom.
Because we want to make it completely platform independent so it will work on iPhone, Android, or whatever the next hot mobile device might be, it's will not be app per se. It's also still quite a ways from being a shipping product, but we are working on it:

-Uwe-
Uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 19:09   #30
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
Because we want to make it completely platform independent so it will work on iPhone, Android, or whatever the next hot mobile device might be, it's will not be app per se. It's also still quite a ways from being a shipping product, but we are working on it:

-Uwe-
Whoa! Most exciting post in a very long time! Consider me one to upgrade my VCDS to "mobile" then!!! As soon as this is released I'll get it, I'm sure you'll have a compelling upgrade price structure for current "cable" owners :-) My iPhone is always on a mount charging by the radio. I'd love to log without lugging the laptop around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.

Last edited by Farfromovin; July 12th, 2010 at 20:06.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote