2000 GMC Suburban with VW 1.9l DI diesel

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
I just recieved information that George Washington University (GW) is involved in the "FutureTruck 2000 competition". Each school is given a Suburban and $10,000 to "increase fuel efficiency and reduce emissions, while maintaining comfort and performance of the stock vehicle".

GW plans on using two 90 kW DC on the front and rear axles, and a Volkswagen 1.9 liter compression-ignition direct injection (CIDI) engine for the front and as a generator.

Seems really cool. For more info visit the GWU Future Truck site.

If you missed it there is something similar posted back in October in this topic about the Hybrid-Electric Vehicle Project at San Diego State University. They are using a 1.2l VW TDI, but in a vehicle of their own design.

Fred

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
That's VERY cool, Fred! Good call!.. I live right here and I have a GWU student ID. I think I'll email those guys and ask if I can pay them a visit to take a look at what their up to... Perhaps I can take a camera and get some pics of their TDI application for the forums! I will keep you posted, eh?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
with all the stupid plastic GM has to use to get there products to sell what do you think the embelms on this truck will say?

YUKON VW?
YUKON TDI?
I can have some fun with this one!!!!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I am offended!!!
Why wasn't a VW emblem put on the truck???
the fact GM has never been able to make an engine worth a SH*!. OH they got me started!!! I gave up on GM 3 Volkswagens ago! and the first VW lasted longer than the 4 GM cars I had combined!!!
Ok I realize the school chose the engine, and it was a good choice. But still give credit where it's do. The engine is everything, without it it's a house on wheels!

nuff said!
DB

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
One of the key parameters for the competition dictated by GM is that the finished product must have at least stock performance levels.

Granted, the 2 electric motors will do most of the work providing motivational force with the TDI serving as auxillary power/backup.

Towing a 2.5 TDI powered speedboat should be no problem in other words!

BigAl

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 99.5, Green
Wait until they find out about the timing belt issue for that monster! I bet 10K mile changes are in the works to keep it alive.