www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 21st, 2009, 22:38   #1
nemesis500548

TDI(s): 02 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 45 - 50
Default Dead battery, remote key fob, door lock trouble not working

It took me a while to find the surprisingly simple answer to this aggrivating problem, so I'm reposting the info with lots of keywords so hopefully it will be easier for the next guy to find. Maybe even have someone list it in a FAQ or something.

Anyway, the battery died on my car a few days ago and after getting it going again I noticed that the remote/key fob would unlock the drivers door and trunk, but no matter how many times I hit the unlock button it wouldn't unlock the rest. I tried the key pairing deal thing in the owners manual and still no go. So after a few hours of searching this and other websites I found the simple and retarded answer.

Hit the lock/unlock button on the passenger door.

I have no idea how it works or why. I can't even begin to understand how or why. It baffles the mind. If this was intentional programming, who the hell thought of it. I mean really, battery goes dead, so the remote will only unlock the driver door. And to fix this you hit the lock/unlock button on the passenger door. Are you kidding me? Who the hell thinks this s**t up! And how did the first guy figure it out?
nemesis500548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:11   #2
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Nice repost. At first I thought it might be an admission that shaving door handles wasn't such a hot idea after all.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:19   #3
btrumper

TDI(s): 2003 wagon

Thank you so much for posting this information. I encountered the exact same situation as you describe and until I found your post, I had been completely baffled as to how to remedy it. I did as you said and the problem completely disappeared. This place is great!
Thanks again.
btrumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 13:20   #4
XXX_er
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 golf
Fuel Economy: 55mpg highway

OR eventualy the remote lock/unlock will just start working properly all by itself
XXX_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 16:43   #5
ik0n
Veteran Member

GREAT POST!

Took my car in and had the windows tinted today.
The guy told me that the battery had gone low (guess it went dead) because they leave the car on to use the controls.
I couldn't figure out, what was wrong; so I just told myself: "The TDI club will have an answer for me when I get home".
Sure enough, one quick search and I found my answer/fix!

Cheers!
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:23   #6
copatdir6
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ MPG!
Thumbs up

Thank you so much. I had my battery not die completely, but after sitting in the cold overnight, it started VERY rough and at one point the dash lights all came on (indicating a dead/dying battery). It did turn over (thankfully) but for the past 2 days the passenger and other doors would not unlock just as you described.

I am in class right now, but will try your "method" of fixing the issue and let everyone know if it resolves it.

Again, thanks for the post.

"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome...they should at least find ya handy!" -Red Green-
copatdir6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:38   #7
copatdir6
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ MPG!
Talking

Hey, just to let everyone know....this worked like a charm. Just as stated. Thanks again!!!

"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome...they should at least find ya handy!" -Red Green-
copatdir6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 14:43   #8
DieselFiend1.9

Fuel Economy: 36 Avg

thanks for the tip!!! I tried your fix on my 2003 Jetta TDI and it was a GREAT SUCCESS!!!

Like ik0n, my batt died at the window tinting place and the doorlocks were malfunctioning ever since. Apparently a dead/dying battery will cause this and hitting the passenger door lock control is the only way to remind the controller that other doors exist besides just the driver's door!!

THANKS AGAIN!
DieselFiend1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 13:05   #9
cspeter8
Veteran Member

if this works it is very useful knowledge!
more keywords for finding this thread:

Double unlock on FOB doesnt unlock all doors
cant unlock the doors with Fob (Drivers door is ok)

Another confirmation - a 2005 Jetta TDI Sportwagon - this WORKS!!!
~sold
(Greasecar kits on all)

Last edited by cspeter8; August 9th, 2012 at 03:53.
cspeter8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 13:30   #10
Wickers

Hey, bit of a lurker on here but you lot have got me out of the mire on more than one occasion - I now have this problem, but can't fix it with the suggestion, either that or I'm doing it wrong. My passenger door has no "unlock" button the same as the drivers door does - do you mean the button that sits proud of the door? The one that gets depressed vertically? I've tried that and ot makes no difference. To be fair, I think the battery is pretty much on its last legs so will this fix only work once the battery is replaced? Thanks for your time.
Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote