A/C Delete

vidose

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 1.9l
I have a 99.5 TDi and the A/C clutch sounds like its going to lock up any day now, So I want to do a A/C delete but I have not seen any write ups on it.

Any one have a link or info on this subject like if I need a relay pulley or just a smaller serpentine belt.

Any help at all would be grate.

Thanks.

Update:

I bought the Bypass bracket and pulley (http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Pull..._medium=cpc&utm_campaign=new_google_base_feed)

Installed it.

It works like a dream. Only thing is I had to run down to ACE ( cause I heard that its the place ) and get some longer bolts and nuts.

This is my dally driver (500 miles a week) and I have been driving it with the bypass for 2 weeks now with no issues.

Heat still works too.

Thanks for the help guys!!! I'm back to 28 dollars a week in fuel instead of 40 in my wife's Vibe.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
This is yours on car

1 - Crankshaft/vibration damper/pulley 2 - Tensioner 3 - Pulley - Generator (GEN) 4 - Ribbed belt - Crankshaft/vibration damper, tensioning roller, generator and power steering vane pump 5 - Pulley - power steering pump

And this is with out A/C

1 - Crankshaft/vibration damper/pulley 2 - Tensioner 3 - Pulley - Generator (GEN) 4 - Ribbed belt - Crankshaft/vibration damper, tensioning roller, generator and power steering vane pump 5 - Pulley - power steering pump

vidose

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 1.9l
Thanks for the info.

So that belt thats available on impex, would you happen to know the specs?

I wana give it a go this weekend.

I will replace the clutch wheel before summer comes along here in OK again, any one have a place I can start looking for one.

I tried TDIparts or the store formally known as TDIparts and Impex and they dont seem to have the part.

Thanks for the help again.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I think you will need bracket for p/steering pump. I don't thin none of US models came with out A/C . I think only Canadian and Europe models has that.
Here is clutch :
http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-ac-clutch_8429.html
Only OE clutch you can put in car.
I can get you that clutch also for $10 less of impex price. All you have to do drive to Dallas TX.If you want it you can send me PM.
Belt size should be 6 PK 906.

vidose

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 1.9l
Still not sure

So its been a while now since I updated, Im still not sure if this pulley bypass will fit my car.

There has to be someone that has done this before, anyone know if this has been done on a 99.5 Jetta before?

I could just order the part and try to adapt it but there are allot of variables to consider.

Thanks for any input.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
This is for MK III.But I think it would work. Belt is same 6PK on Mk III and MK IV. Just a length is different. Only thing is does bolts has same diameter at mounting bracket. I would risk $48 and try.

chrisstevens

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
I've had this pulley on my 2001 Jetta for over 100,000 miles. It's worked well, although the bearing did crap out about 20,000 miles ago. Pressed in a new, better quality bearing and have been fine since. You do need a longer bolt to install on mk4

bshep

TDI
Do you remove the AC compressor and bolt the pulley on and use the factory belt?? If not where does it fit? my clutch is done and the AC hasn't worked in years I just want to get running again.

Thx

indiana542003

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 4dr
I just installed this a/c bypass pulley on a 2000 VW golf. I don't consider this a bolt in installation. I had to remove some metal from the pulley bracket and shim the bracket to get the pulley to line up with the rest of the pulleys.

emscar

Veteran Member
TDI
`00 Golf, auto trans
Thanks for starting this thread Vidose, i got all the part#`s, now i can go ahead with this project. Thanks to everyone else too.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Thanks for this thread!

Sounds like, after reading the update in post#1, this pulley will work on an ALH:

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Volkswagen/Passat/ac-compressor-bypass-pulley/AM-68055533.html

Turns out AM Autoparts does not ship to Canada, but I always read the entire description and at the very bottom I found the fine print, "This part replaces: DORMAN #: 34214"

I did a search and found that the "Dorman HELP AC Bypass Pulley 34214" is available from a few online sources, including Amazon!

Here is a link to the Dorman part on Amazon.ca: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000IY6RZU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JVXPGY4Y8BM7

Here is a link to the same part on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-Bypass-Pulley-34214/dp/B000IY6RZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439944357&sr=8-1&keywords=DORMAN+%23%3A+34214

Turns out the same part costs less and ships faster to Canada from Amazon.com than Amazon.ca which is rare! Most parts from Amazon.com don't even ship to Canada! Fingers crossed I get a part that will fit my 2001 Golf... Part should arrive Friday - update to follow.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Got my AC delete pulley installed and I could not be happier with it! Here are some pictures and a video will follow shortly in a second post...

Here is the pulley compared to the ac compressor it is replacing. Notice the pulley has an extra groove. Also notice the ac compressor has threaded inserts in its rear mounting holes.

Here is the back side of the bracket showing how you need to purchase longer bolts and nuts and lock washers. I used 3/8" diameter bolts, 5" in length with a lock washer at each end.

I recently replaced the serpentine tensioner and belt. Now that the noisey AC compressor bearing is gone, there are nothing but sweet turbo and engine sounds; here is short 15 second video if you are interested: https://youtu.be/ybjgymO-PqU

sportsmartcar

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta sedan - 5sp - red, 2000 Jetta sedan, automatic -blue (sold) 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp -white 2000 Jetta 2.0 gasser automatic - black (used to rack up the miles for work)
How convenient this video is. I need to replace my alternator and my air doesn't work. While I'm under there, I might as well do this as well. Saves a seized compressor burning off the new belt. Narf, where did you purchase the bypass pulley?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
How convenient this video is. I need to replace my alternator and my air doesn't work. While I'm under there, I might as well do this as well. Saves a seized compressor burning off the new belt. Narf, where did you purchase the bypass pulley?
I got mine from Amazon.com and it arrived in two days, but there are many sources online for the Dorman HELP AC Bypass Pulley 34214

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Haha, Canada is not some frozen wasteland...
Haha....I know, right?

We just have a different idea of what a "hot" day is...LOL.:D

Thanks to this thread, I just ordered one of these A/C delete brackets for the old project Beetle. My A/C pump is shot...the clutch is shot, the pulley is shot, everything is scrap. I want to get the car running in a somewhat steady state, and in order to do that I need my serpentine belt installed and operational. This bracket/pulley kit looks like a cheap alternative for the time being. The car may see a working A/C system again someday...but not this year;).

Rem

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I just installed this a/c bypass pulley on a 2000 VW golf. I don't consider this a bolt in installation. I had to remove some metal from the pulley bracket and shim the bracket to get the pulley to line up with the rest of the pulleys.
I just installed one of the delete brackets on the old Beetle today, and I had to shim mine as well. I wasn't expecting much...after all, it's a $50 cast aluminum bracket with "China" stamped on it....lol.
Anyway, it was a bit sloppy/loose. I made some 0.040" shim washers to push the bracket outwards and to tighten up the gaps. I didn't want to risk cracking one of the corners.

For bolts, I used M10x130 SHCS with SS washers, and Nylock nuts.

Everything is running nice and quiet now and I can move on with other repairs;).

Lavabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon 2003, Westfalia 73 Tdi
Thank you for this
im tired replacing my AC clutch bearing, and im not using AC that much (also in canada)

DSMOS

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GL TDI (Wu-Tang Wagon) 280K and climbing
i installed a bypass pulley over the summer, and monday my car was a little rough with a few odd noises while shifting, then it overheated and had to be towed (5th tow in 30,000 miles). the issue was the ac bypass pulley ate into a lower rad line and ultimately dumped my coolant all over a highway. has anyone else had this issue? worked fine until then, beats a seized engine due to a bad ac compressor clutch...

GeorgeZ

TDI
2000 Jetta
I installed this bypass pulley too, but for the first time in 10 years, I have that awful squealing belt noise...got a replacement bypass pulley through Amazon, same problem after a week. I tried using belt dressing and tighter tolerance bolts, but no changed. The Dorman guy said change it again, get a refund or contact Gates...nice. Does anyone here think that changing the belt and/or tensioner will solve the noise issue? I never had any belt noise before, even when my A/C compressor bearing was wailing...

Sting

I installed this bypass pulley too, but for the first time in 10 years, I have that awful squealing belt noise...got a replacement bypass pulley through Amazon, same problem after a week. I tried using belt dressing and tighter tolerance bolts, but no changed. The Dorman guy said change it again, get a refund or contact Gates...nice. Does anyone here think that changing the belt and/or tensioner will solve the noise issue? I never had any belt noise before, even when my A/C compressor bearing was wailing...
I just added one of these to my car as well. No issues with hoses, but the alignment of the belt is important. If it's not right, it rubs somewhere and something "eats" one side of the belt. I've found too that when under power, it's "squeaky" but will quiet down at idle. The belt itself isn't squealing or loose though. But everything runs as it should.

I had my AC pulley give out during a cross country trip from Ontario to BC via the USA. Fortunately, the shop I was dealing with was happy to put the AC bypass in.

Saved me hundreds.

Any suggestions on squeakiness of the pulley? Better bearing maybe? 🤷🏼‍♂️