www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 13th, 2009, 19:17   #1
absolutetraitor
Veteran Member

Default Zerostart Super Heat Magnet

hey, just picked up one of these http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1260760124026 for my sprinter, since it's a royal PITA to put in the oem block heater... magnet grabs like a SOB to the iron block, just above the oil pan. thinking about tacking one on my transmission too, then wiring to a common plug.

Has anyone tried this on a tdi? if i remember correctly, aren't our engines all aluminum? i know the dsg case is, so i guess i won't be using it on the tranny, but i'd really like to cover all my bases in the battle against cold start wear. my 2006 jetta already has a webasto blueheat system in it, which i love, but i can't help but feel like my oil and dsg fluid could benefit hugely from being all warm and gooey on the cold mornings. i haven't actually installed it on my truck yet, but i'm confident it'll help. especially since it holds 12L of oil, and it doesn't like starting up on really cold mornings.
Old December 13th, 2009, 19:36   #2
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

Wonder if we'll have a fire 2010 thread.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 19:40   #3
absolutetraitor
Veteran Member

well, i don't think you can have a magnet melt and fall off thus starting a fire. so i think we're pretty safe here.
Old December 13th, 2009, 20:32   #4
solartempest
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutetraitor
well, i don't think you can have a magnet melt and fall off thus starting a fire. so i think we're pretty safe here.
I agree, as long as you're not putting it against something that will melt, it should be okay. It's CSA approved, after all.

2009 Jetta TDI DSG, Scangauge II
photography.solartempest.net
solartempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 21:21   #5
flatlanded
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 55ish US MPG

Pretty sure she's all aluminum. No dice.

**Have VCDS**
flatlanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 21:41   #6
shegel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_TDi
Wonder if we'll have a fire 2010 thread.
how very optimistic

Family Vehicles
1998 tdi, 1999.5 tdi, 1929 chevy 4dr all original, 1995 chevy cavalier, 1993 f-350 idi 7.3,
1999 f-250 psd, 1993 crown vic, 1969 karmann ghia, 1967 mustang, 1965 mustang fastback,
1972 dodge challenger, 1972 challenger,
1973 challenger, 1968 cougar, 1968 vw baja
shegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 00:28   #7
Benjamin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 MPG Jetta, 23 MPG Jeep

If you have a hybrid oil pan you can use this, otherwise the magnet won't stick to the stock aluminum oil pan.
In terms of your truck, good luck. I know it does not get as cold out there as what I am having right now. I got one of these for my GMC w4500 and at -25`C it did nothing for me. Honestly there was a piece of ice an inch up on the oil pan that never fell off with this thing on all night. When I went to start the truck it felt like it does when ever I have to start it at -25`c, no different. I think the idea is great, but I am going to try one of those pad heaters that didn't do so well on the tdi's. With no skid plate to worry about, they recommend a 500W pad for oil capacities of 12-24 liters. Not something you can find at CT, but I am sure somebody has one out there.

Just a heads up.

Ben
Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:33   #8
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

waste of $$

Fools are cut from the fabric of ignorance, and the American citizens make the cloth.

Do we blame others for robbing the bank when we hand them the keys to the vault and turn out the lights?

Goldman Sachs says they paid us back with interest. What about the $ 13 billion they stole out of our pockets thru AIG ?

2001 Golf TDi 134K
2004 Golf TDi 205K
1987 Scirocco16V 185K
1998 Camry 125K
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:29   #9
T_D_I_POWER
Veteran Member

IMO, it's far better to get the coolant heater. Coolant heater will heat up the coolant in the cyl. head, OHE & A/THE -if equipped, heater core. You kill many birds with one stone type of deal. Yes, it isn't a PAP, but it's very rewarding.

1st TO USE Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...56&postcount=9
1st TO PREFILL OFH/OFI INSTL W/ OIL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=5
1st TO PREFIL FF W/ DIESEL FUEL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=14

T_D_I_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:43   #10
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Use up electicity and do no warming when applied to an engine block. Tried it years ago. Waste of time/money. May work on an iron oil pan, but I think it would be minimal.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 15:11   #11
daedalus
Veteran Member

Why not use all of the above? It need not be a single solution fix.
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 17:03   #12
absolutetraitor
Veteran Member

the sprinter has a coolant heater integrated, it's an espar unit... same concept as the webasto blueheat already on my jetta (best winter upgrade EVER), however, in the sprinter the espar is not equipped with a timer that allows the unit to be fired when the engine is not running. this renders it almost useless, except that it allows faster warm up once the truck has been started. I'm disapointed to hear that the magnet is useless... i know it's only 200 watt, but i guess i was being optimistic. if is wasn't 60 bucks i'd consider getting maybe 3 of them, equaling 600 watts, but for that money i can get some monkey at the dodge dealership to install the factory block heater. for the jetta, i'm just gonna spray foam the roof of my shop/garage and spend my money keeping it a reasonable temperature.
Old December 14th, 2009, 17:32   #13
T_D_I_POWER
Veteran Member

Have you seeen this?

http://www.wolverineheater.com/products.shtml

Does your Sprinter have an OHE like the one on the Jetta? If so, you could wrap a suitable Wolverine heater pad
arounf the OHE housing. That should heat the OHE housing then in turn it'll heat the coolant. Or stick one on the
cyl. head.

1st TO USE Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...56&postcount=9
1st TO PREFILL OFH/OFI INSTL W/ OIL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=5
1st TO PREFIL FF W/ DIESEL FUEL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=14

Last edited by T_D_I_POWER; December 14th, 2009 at 17:48.
T_D_I_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 17:49   #14
absolutetraitor
Veteran Member

looks cool, er, warm. it's saying 500 watts for 13 - 26l or something like that... so i'm thinking two of the 200 watt magnets would be sufficient for 12l of oil, however i'm putting them on the block, just above the oil pan, rather than on the pan. i figured that warming the block would be more effective than just warming the oil in the pan... if the block is ice cold, when the warm oil hits it, it'd just suck the heat out of the oil, but if the block is warm, it's going to warm the oil. i dunno, maybe i got it backwards. it's shake the hands and kiss the babies, not shake the babies and kiss the hands. maybe that's why i lost that governors election back in 86.
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:05   #15
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Those magnet heaters do next to nothing on an engine block. Tried them on my little 2 cylinder diesel tractor and after hours you could lay your hand on the iron right next to them and it was stone cold. Now try to imagine that heat (or lack thereof) passing thru to the coolant and warming it?? Perhaps if they were indoors out of the cold/wind, but then you wouldn't really need them then.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote