www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old December 5th, 2009, 11:48   #1
TDIzumSpass

Default HELP! 2009 Jetta TDI will not start

I could not find any other threads on this matter, so I thought I'd start a new thread (apologies for redundancy).

My 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 6-spd manual, with 8,900 miles on it, will NOT START. It is 34 deg. F in the garage where it sits. The car cranks and cranks, and eventually gives the oil pressure? warning light at the top of the MFD. There is plenty of fuel in it and the oil level is fine as well. Up until this point (this morning) it has NEVER taken more than a split-second to start, nor behaved strangely. I did have the TSB 2020606 - "OBD Function Optimization" software update done 2 weeks ago, but this is probably unrelated.

What in the heck is going on? I'm ready to have it towed to the dealership, but am dying to know what could be happening. Can anyone help?
TDIzumSpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:53   #2
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

Don't crank for more than, say, 30 seconds at a time, with a minute or so between attempts.

Is there fuel in the fuel filter housing?
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 13:40   #3
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

Sounds like its not getting fuel. Just guessing though. If you want to check things out before hand. Check to see that the fuel filter canister is fuel of fuel and the canister does not contain a lot of water. Other than that, I'd let the dealer handle it. I'm not religious but, may God be with you.

Dweisel

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 14:08   #4
Professor121

TDI(s): 2009 jetta
Fuel Economy: 43mpg
Default Rough cold start

Just tried to start my 09 jetta tdi and it died after a second of running. The second time I cranked on it (for about one to two seconds) it did not start. Cycled the key and cranked, started and died right away. Cranked again, started and ran rough, then smooth, then a little rough, then it was fine. ... Temperature outside is about 35 F and this morning at 22 F it started right away. My first thought was gelling in the filter. My second thought is ??? why didnt it happen this morning? Thoughts anyone? ---Keith
Old December 5th, 2009, 14:11   #5
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIzumSpass

What in the heck is going on? I'm ready to have it towed to the dealership, but am dying to know what could be happening. Can anyone help?
I would quit if I were you. Sounds like something is wrong and won't be solved by burning the starter motor out, Mr. Spass. Wait 'til Monday and let them deal with it.
dieseldorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 14:34   #6
TDIzumSpass

Default got it running!

I had actually tried just that later in that day. Cranked for 10-15 sec, wait, crank again. When I cranked closer to 30 sec, it reluctantly started, ran rough for like a minute, then ran fine... Drove around to warm up and then refueled. My concern is that if this is happening at 32 F, what will happen at, say 0 F? Perhaps I should change my handle from "TDIzumSpass" or 'TDI for the fun of it' to TDInachverrueckt (to go crazy) or similar.

Thanks for all of the timely advice, nonetheless. You guys are great!
Old December 5th, 2009, 14:35   #7
dweisel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor121
Just tried to start my 09 jetta tdi and it died after a second of running. The second time I cranked on it (for about one to two seconds) it did not start. Cycled the key and cranked, started and died right away. Cranked again, started and ran rough, then smooth, then a little rough, then it was fine. ... Temperature outside is about 35 F and this morning at 22 F it started right away. My first thought was gelling in the filter. My second thought is ??? why didnt it happen this morning? Thoughts anyone? ---Keith
Get yourself some diesel anti gel additive and give it a dose. See if that helps. You might also want to check the condition of the fuel in the fuel filter canister.

Dweisel

Old December 5th, 2009, 14:40   #8
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel
Get yourself some diesel anti gel additive and give it a dose. See if that helps. You might also want to check the condition of the fuel in the fuel filter canister.

Dweisel
X2!! and get fuel from a know source.......

2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Frost Silver/Titan Black
1996 Passat TDI Storm Grey
1984 Mercedes 300D Blue/Green
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 14:47   #9
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Fuel gelling at 34 F (+1 C) should not be an issue.

The car is under warranty; if you know you have diesel fuel in the tank (not gasoline!) then let the dealer handle it. I hope you have the receipt from the last time you filled up. If the dealer tries to blame the fuel, then show them that receipt.
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 14:48   #10
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Drove around to warm up and then refueled.
Just curious. How low was the fuel in the tank when you had the no-start problem??
Old December 5th, 2009, 15:11   #11
TDIzumSpass

not long. I put on around 400 miles a week, so refuel every 1-1/2 wks. Tank was 1/2 full.

Who makes the diesel anti-gel additive?
Old December 5th, 2009, 15:17   #12
TDIzumSpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel
Sounds like its not getting fuel. Just guessing though. If you want to check things out before hand. Check to see that the fuel filter canister is fuel of fuel and the canister does not contain a lot of water. Other than that, I'd let the dealer handle it. I'm not religious but, may God be with you.

Dweisel
Does the filter collect water, and if so, does it purge it periodically?

Does anyone know if this is related to a fuel pump issue? I saw a lot of comments about this on the site, and worry that this will be an $1100 part (I called today) that has to get replaced every 25k-50k miles.
Old December 5th, 2009, 15:31   #13
securityguy
Veteran Member

Filter does collect "some" water but not much. No, it does NOT purge it periodically. Good reason to use an additive that takes care of the small amount of water that's present in the fuel during a fill-up or via condensation in the tank. Check out Opti-Lube, PowerService, Stanadyne and others that have an excellent reputation.
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:20   #14
dweisel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Does the filter collect water, and if so, does it purge it periodically?

Does anyone know if this is related to a fuel pump issue? I saw a lot of comments about this on the site, and worry that this will be an $1100 part (I called today) that has to get replaced every 25k-50k miles.
Any water in the fuel will collect at the bottom in the fuel filter canister. While it does happen its not a commom occurance,but should be checked periodically. Twice a year would be good. To clean any water or sediment from the canister you need to either use a vac pump or remove the canister housing by removing the two bolts and one nut.

Who told you the fuel pump would have to be replaced every 25k to 50k miles????

Dweisel

Last edited by dweisel; December 6th, 2009 at 09:22.
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:26   #15
dweisel
Veteran Member

Quote:
not long. I put on around 400 miles a week, so refuel every 1-1/2 wks. Tank was 1/2 full.

Who makes the diesel anti-gel additive?
Go to any truck stop or agri stores and they should carry some type of diesel anti gel additive. Power Service, Howells, Optilube,STP and FPPF are just some of the common names. Walmart carries Power Service. Make sure you get the additive with anti gel and not just the injector cleaner.

Dweisel