www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 1st, 2009, 17:17   #1
06tdidrivr

TDI(s): 2006
Default Clunking under my feet?

Hello,
I recently purchased an 06' Jetta TDI DSG with 42,000mi about a month ago. I noticed a weak, hollow clunking noise under my feet when i'm driving at slow speeds over a bumpy road. It almost sounds like it could possibly be something loose under the car hitting the bottom. At least that what it sounds like. I do not notice it at faster speeds or when I have been driving for awhile. I also don't notice it when turning. I'm not sure what it could be, I'm new to VW, TDI world. Any Ideas?

Thank You,
Ken
06tdidrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 18:37   #2
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

I had an issue when we first bought the Jetta...All I could get out of the dealer was, "a loose bolt". I would look over the subframe completely and control arms in detail!

HTH

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:59   #3
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

I would start by checking out the exhaust system. My guess is something is loose. When the engine is cold try to move the exhaust system around and see if you can duplicate the sound.
Old December 7th, 2009, 17:32   #4
06tdidrivr

TDI(s): 2006

Hello,
I did alittle bit of exploring and reading on here.
My TDI came with a Zerostart heater as well as metal skidplate. I reached down and there is alittle play in the heater which is very close to the skidplate. Has anyone ran into this issue of clunking which would come from the heater hitting the skidplate?
Also, is there any type of time limitation on how long I can keep it plugged in?

Thanks
06tdidrivr is offline   Reply With Quote