www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 30th, 2009, 10:45   #1
DAH

Unhappy 2001 Tail Lights Out - Not fuse, Not Bulbs

2001 TDI -- Tail lights are out, brake and turn signals work fine.

I've searched the forum. Others have had the problem but I can't find how they fixed the problem. It's not bulbs, fuses, wiring, bulb holders, etc.

Could it be the brake switch and if so how do the tail lights get wired through the switch so they don't work but brake lights work?

Second -- Could it be a control module?

Help -- Already got one repair warning.
DAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 13:00   #2
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

At one point I had a cheapie used euro-switch installed that did that. Half the parking lights worked, the other half didn't. I popped the original switch back in to confirm and ordered a better one.

If you're close to the NY border, I have the original you can use to test.
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:00   #3
DAH

Thanks Gforce but I'm SouthCentral Pa.

So you've found that the brake switch is more than just a switch that makes/breaks with the brake pedal?

In your opinion is that whee my problem lies? Can I jumper around it to test or are there electronics involved?

Thanks DAH
DAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:57   #4
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

If your brake lights are working and not your tail (parking) lights, it should have nothing to do with you brake switch (brake and parking are different bulbs).

I don't have a wiring diagram for the headlight switch with me, but you could probably jump it out. If I didn't have a spare switch to swap in, I'd ohm out the switch to make sure it's making contact (would still need the diagram).

If you are sure your bulbs and fuses are good, that's what I'd go for. Got anyone near you to swap with to test?
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:28   #5
wrenching40plus
Veteran Member

Prob'ly a dumb question, but how are you sure the bulbs are OK? Is it possible one bulb burned out, then the second went... and then the fuzz took notice....??

Did you remove and test both bulbs? If so, did you pull the entire [Jetta] trunk liner to gain access to the tail lamp assembly... I just posted on this subject.
Old March 28th, 2010, 13:01   #6
rsvRidr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH
2001 TDI -- Tail lights are out, brake and turn signals work fine.

I've searched the forum. Others have had the problem but I can't find how they fixed the problem. It's not bulbs, fuses, wiring, bulb holders, etc.

Could it be the brake switch and if so how do the tail lights get wired through the switch so they don't work but brake lights work?

Second -- Could it be a control module?

Help -- Already got one repair warning.
Were you able to find the problem. My 01 jetta is having the same issues. The brake lights/hazzards and turn signals work fine, but the tail lights will not turn on. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
rsvRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 13:59   #7
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

I have my right tail light that every once in a while will go out. I have figured it is a grounding or contact issue as I can smack the tail light and it will start working again. I think they get corroded easily.

2003 Jetta 5 Speed 301K miles. Malone stage 3. Titan 502 big hole injectors. VNT17 turbo. BuzzKen 2.5" down pipe. Ventectomy, EGR and cooler delete, Euro Switch, Home made custom HID.
79TA7.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 14:55   #8
rsvRidr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79TA7.6
I have my right tail light that every once in a while will go out. I have figured it is a grounding or contact issue as I can smack the tail light and it will start working again. I think they get corroded easily.
Get ready because thats exactly how mine started. I have pulled both assemblies and they appear very clean,with no signs of corrosion. I have also checked for power at the connection to the assembly, getting none for the wires for the tail lghts. All others (brake/turn signals) have power.
Checked fuses for the parking/tail lights #22-#23 and they checked out good.
rsvRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:17   #9
Theodigital

Hey guys,

Same problem here, all lights work except tail lights.

I've swapped bulbs around, and I know it's not the fuse as the tail lights share the fuse with the brake lights that work fine.

Any suggestions?
Theodigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 15:02   #10
Bio Jetta

Fuel Economy: 45
Default Me to

I'm having a similar issue with my right rear tail light - not brake lights or turn signals. Also, the lights in my factory guages decided to join in on the fun of frusterating me. I have no blown fuses, and am struggling to figure it out. VAGCOM finds no error codes. I did get a wierd symptom before it happened. When I turned on the headlights, the right turn signal indicator stayed on. After cycling the switch off and on a couple times the right turn indicator went off and so did my guage lights. Any ideas?
Power plus 520s, Evry Mod(potentiometer), Auto to manual swap, Higher 5th gear swap, Ventectomy, Mufflerectomy, CCV Mod, Polyurithane Front suspention bushings, Frantz Bypass oil filter, engine block heater, Aftermarket CD player, Boost & EGT gauges, Snow screen removed, MB in line fuel pre filter

If it aint a diesel, it aint right.
Bio Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:27   #11
Ryan_m83
Veteran Member

Anyone find a solution this exact problem has just happened to me.
Old November 15th, 2011, 14:03   #12
chromeBuddha
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg @ 75 mph

You are mentioning the tail lights. Each side shares a fuse/circuit with the sidemarker lights on the front fenders. Are those lights coming on when you turn the lights on? If both the tail and sidemarker lights are off and you have verified the involved bulbs and fuses, I think post 2 is saying the light switch is a possible culprit.
"El Bonbon" - The Marshmallow
chromeBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 17:11   #13
Ryan_m83
Veteran Member

well turns out I got lucky. Changed the bulbs and they worked again. Weird how both went at the same time, I know last week they both were working. One did look blown, the other looked new. Either way problem solved. Anyone having this problem change the bulbs regardless if they look good or not.
Old February 1st, 2014, 10:46   #14
timothyn

here my question. my rear parking lights work, but front one do not. turn lights work fine. bulbs look good. 2001 golf
timothyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 18:32   #15
sguymon

Thumbs up 99 vw no tail lights fix.

I have the same problem. No tail lights but the brake lights work fine and it is not the bulbs. This is my redneck fix. Pull out the hazard switch. On the wires coming it to the back there is a grey wire on the corner. Add a wire to the grey one. Then run that wire to he very back to the tail light on the left side. Pull out the tail light on the left side and the wires going to the bulb that runs the tail light. It is the grey one with a black stripe. Connect the wire. Add the wire (do not cut it). Then when you turn the lights on both brake lights and the markers should work. Good luck.
sguymon is offline   Reply With Quote