tdi-parts.com cam (prothe)? (not idparts.com)

stevejet

TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Does anyone have any experience with the $55 cams from tdiparts.com? I was just wondering how they wear since they are so cheap compared to the real deal from VW.

Thanks

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I think VW has them made by a supplier and does not grind them themselves. Would buying from the supplier count as not being the "real deal from VW"?
The TDIParts 1Z/AHU cams are manufactured by Febi Bilstein. That doesn't mean that Febi Bilstein was the VW supplier, just that I've installed two, one in my B4 a few years ago, the other a week ago in another member's car and see no reason for concern.

stevejet

TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Thanks paramedick and Lug Nut for the reply. Lug nut that's all I was looking for was knowing that somebody else has put one in and it's worked out for them. I'll place my order in the morning.

Thanks again

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
You are referring to tdiparts and not tdi-parts. Tdiparts is where you want to order your cam from and yes it will set you back approximately one hundred and forty dollars as Paramedick states. The other place will charge you fifty five dollars, however it is Prothe and you do not want to be getting a cam from him.

Order your cam from http://www.idparts.com/ and pay the extra amount for the correct part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
WHOA!

thebigarniedog said:
You are referring to tdiparts and not tdi-parts.
I had no idea that other "TDI-Parts" place existed. Leave out the "-" and buy from the real deal at TDIParts.com: Imitated but not duplicated! :)

Scott

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
yeah prothe e-miata all chinese sludge. great stuff if you want to fix it and dump it on someone else like a used car salesman in a plaid suit.He probably feeds his kids melamime for dinner and instals high sulfur drywall on the side

prothe

TDI
99 Golf
yeah prothe e-miata all chinese sludge. great stuff if you want to fix it and dump it on someone else like a used car salesman in a plaid suit.He probably feeds his kids melamime for dinner and instals high sulfur drywall on the side
These comments are totally inappropriate. If you don't like my parts, fine, there are hundreds of different places to buy parts, like tdiparts.com, but leave my family alone.

For the record, I haven't had a single complaint with any camshaft that I have sold.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
haha, for $55 it's not worth the trouble to complain since it won't really get you anywhere.. It's well known that your parts are mostly inferior quality, which for certain things it doesn't matter, but internal engine parts do matter..
I've installed a few of the intercoolers you sell and they were absolutely fine, but there was an injection pump or two that didn't last a week..

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I changed the thread title to 'tdi-parts.com' so people will be less confused by Chinese sourced parts importer from TDIClub vendor in good standing, tdiparts/idparts.com.

;)

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
prothe said:
These comments are totally inappropriate. If you don't like my parts, fine, there are hundreds of different places to buy parts, like tdiparts.com, but leave my family alone.

For the record, I haven't had a single complaint with any camshaft that I have sold.
We only care about the complaints we get here on TDIClub. A quick search revealed a lot LOT more than I thought.

A very small sampling:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269676&highlight=prothe

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270325&highlight=prothe

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=207007&highlight=prothe

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269124&highlight=prothe

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=268111&highlight=prothe

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=268039&highlight=prothe

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=256748&highlight=prothe

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=263515&highlight=prothe

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=265949&highlight=prothe

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258494&highlight=prothe

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=261933&highlight=prothe

There are over 3 pages of search results.

This isn't about your family, it's about our family, the TDIClub family.

TDIClub's mission is to stop consumer ignorance from being used as an exploitable commodity. The more the membership knows about its cars, the better they can maintain and enjoy them. TDIClub has a 'best practice' mindset, best quality parts, best quality practices. We take this to VW, its dealerships, to everyone else, and to every aspect of ownership.

Caveat Emptor!

:rolleyes:

Lug_Nut

TDI
In prothe's defense: His Chinese sourced A3 lower control arms, with bushings installed, look far better than the 15 year old German ones on the car right now and are only slightly more costly than other's prices for the bushings alone.
His unknown sourced coolant pipe is similarly not in as poor condition as the one on the car.
I'll reserve the right to edit this when it comes time for fit and finish with regards to how well these install, but for appearance and price I'm presently very satisfied.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Lug_Nut said:
In prothe's defense: His Chinese sourced A3 lower control arms, with bushings installed, look far better than the 15 year old German ones on the car right now and are only slightly more costly than other's prices for the bushings alone.
I see that other vendors are selling Febi A3 control arms for ~ $37. These must be Chinese made now. The Febi B4 control arms I bought a couple of years ago were still European-made.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
well uh maybe prothe will repent for his sin of greed before his passing to the next life so as not to recieve the peircing barbs of hell for an eternity! imho

Last edited:

DieselFahrer

TDI
2003 Jetta TDi wagon
This is not the sort of remark a man makes, period.

mittzlepick said:
prothe should be defending himself in a turkish prison bathroom! imho

How old are you ?

If you don't like prothe or his parts, don't buy them, and advise all your
friends ( if you even have any ) to do the same.

Remarks which suggest someone should be the victim of an
assault in a prison are in _extremely_ bad taste.

I submit that the moderators should remove the original post and
discipline the poster.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
DieselFahrer said:
How old are you ?
If you don't like prothe or his parts, don't buy them, and advise all your
friends ( if you even have any ) to do the same.
Remarks which suggest someone should be the victim of an
assault in a prison are in _extremely_ bad taste.
I submit that the moderators should remove the original post and
discipline the poster.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DieselFahrer

TDI
2003 Jetta TDi wagon
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
Well... if you knew how many folks on here got screwed by buying his junk, you might understand the comment.
I assure you, I understand "being pissed off at being screwed", but making
stupid remarks which refer to prison rape does NOTHING to solve the problem.
Anyone who bought this Prothe guy's Chinese parts was probably
( unrealistically ) expecting OEM quality for a price far below what parts which are actually of OEM quality do cost. To do so requires a component of greed on the part of the buyer, whether the buyer wants to admit it or not. This "mindset" on the part of the buyer in situations such as these ALLOWS people like Prothe to do business. If no one was interested in "something for nothing", businesses which sell substandard items would quickly fold. The problem is, few buyers want to accept responsibility for their part in the situation, and so scumbags who sell junk keep getting away with it. Funny, Worldpac is selling Chinese crap too, these days, so even at the
wholesale level it's sometimes difficult to escape the proliferation of poorly
made Chinese parts. But no one is ever forced to buy any of it.
I've never bought parts from Prothe, nor do I intend to do so. I didn't have to "be screwed" to have a strong suspicion that Prothe was selling Chinese-made parts of substandard quality and that I would likely regret buying such parts. I am happy to pay a higher price for parts I know are good quality, because this will make my car more reliable and less of my time will be spent dealing with problem parts.
There are other choices in the matter of Prothe which WOULD have an effect; such choices include contacting the Better Business Bureau, and the US Attorney ( e.g. federal, because business is being done across state lines they DO have jurisdiction in such matters ) in the district in which Prothe is based. It is more than possible to bring significant pressure to bear on Prothe if he has conducted business in an unethical or illegal manner ( I don't know if Prothe has done any such thing or not, because I've not done business with him ). So, rather than make an inane remark which obliquely refers to prison rape ( which is not a matter a man jokes about, ever ), why not act like a man and actually do something which will result in positive change ? If there REALLY have been so many people 'screwed' by Prothe, there is an excellent chance that a US Attorney would be happy to take some action. So, why don't those who have been screwed actually DO something, instead of just complaining on the forums ? Yes, it takes
work, but that's part of good citizenship.

Or, just keep whining and don't actually do anything, and when you wonder
why nothing has changed, go look in the mirror and you will see one
reason why.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
stevejet had no idea about this can of worms.

I would not buy any of the items from the uber cheap website with sub-par parts that are routinely complained about on TDIClub. Its not because I have money to burn but rather I would prefer to do the job one time with quality parts.

Last edited:

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
Prothe sells Chinese garbage. Like all garbage there are a few decent parts in the pile. This is no different then buying from harbor freight. 95% of their stuff is crap but when you find the 5% that isnt you have some really cheap stuff and can save some money.

Unfortunately the things that are crap are things that tend to take their engine with then when they blow up. I refer mostly to turbochargers. Prothe, you claim to be a religious man on one of your other sites. I am calling you out right here and now for cheating and hypocracy on your turbochargers alone. I do this both because of their failure rate and the fact they don't even fit right! It is immoral to hawk such crap as a decent product that anyone should install on their car. They are good for making a cheap hobbyist jet engine and thats it.

Last edited:

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
You, referring to you as a vendor, knowingly sell low quality parts. What you do hurts everyone in the community including yourself. Step up and act like a responsible, respectable business man and sell quality parts or none at all.

You prey on the inexperienced and those in a tough economic situation just trying to get their car on the road. Instead they end up having to, at least, pay for a new quality turbo and the labor to have it installed.

I hope you sleep well.

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
otm646 said:
You prey on the inexperienced and those in a tough economic situation just trying to get their car on the road. Instead they end up having to, at least, pay for a new quality turbo and the labor to have it installed.
and a new intercooler. if you are lucky enough to not need anything else... like a new engine after the turbo starts pouring oil into the intake.

Lug_Nut

TDI
I quite expected that I'd have VW OEM parts now made in a low manufacturing cost country. It makes sense.
Whether my part was made in Germany, Mexico, Poland, Brazil, or China it can still be OEM VW.
How incensed will you be to discover that your local VW dealer uses parts made for VW that come from suppliers in China?
But if you have a Mexican VW what complaint do you have about that change in country of origin for components?

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Lug_Nut said:
How incensed will you be to discover that your local VW dealer uses parts made for VW that come from suppliers in China?
Crapware from the dealership you say ....... unpossible :D . Guess I won't be going to the dealership now ;) .

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Lug_Nut said:
I quite expected that I'd have VW OEM parts now made in a low manufacturing cost country. It makes sense.
Whether my part was made in Germany, Mexico, Poland, Brazil, or China it can still be OEM VW.
But if you have a Mexican VW what complaint do you have about that change in country of origin for components?
OEM quality vs OEM replacement

you can make parts to FIT or you can make them to a quality standard found that was on the car in the beginning.

Making an 8x1.25 bolt is easy. a grade 1 will fit and work a grade 8 will cost more last longer and probably not break or strip.

you pick, but it is often hard to tell what is a grade 1 and a grade 8 coming out of china.

China isn't the problem. The problem is there is that just you (the chinese) can make something with OEM attachment points that fits perfectly but costs 1 penny to make instead of 1 dollar.

sometimes it is nice to know where to get the penny part, sometimes you want to have a dollar part.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I'm all for bashing a bad vendor and bad products. Stick to that and he'll learn or leave. But the prison comment and remarking about his children is childish and out of line. Stick to the point at hand: Subpar parts and perhaps shady dealings. Admittedly, I have no first hand knowledge of either from him. I'm content with my parts sources and have no desire to find out about Prothe parts on my own. :D

araimond

TDI
03 Jetta TDI
fantastic!

oh this is just fantastic...I have purchased about a dozen parts and already had them installed in my non-running jetta...
injector pump, nozzles, timing belt kit, fuel filter, glow plugs, etc

THANKFULLY I finally found this site and got ahold of turbowhine to take a look at my baby...I am guessing at this point I should drive it into a lake and find a replacement from someone on this forum!!!