www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old November 13th, 2009, 16:06   #1
garbird

TDI(s): Vanagon
Default Parts that interchange on VW engines

I want to put either a 1.9 turbo diesel or a later model TDI in my vanagon, and was wondering if anyone can tell me if any parts can interchange on any of these engines. My vanagon has a 1.6 liter diesel. The oil pans and bell housings are different for the diesel vanagons than the ones they put on gasoline models.
Does anyone know if the oil pans, heads, exhaust and intake manifolds for the 1.6 L models will fit on the later model 1.9 td, and the TDI model engines? Also will the 1.9 or TDI engines mount up to my bellhousing?
Thanks,
Garbird
garbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 16:16   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Your 1.6L diesel, the AAZ 1.9L TD, and the AHU 1.9L TDI are all members of the VAG EA827 family of engines, so the basic block architecture is the same.

However, the AAZ and AHU were never intended to lay on the 50 degree angle your original T3 diesel is, although you can do so. You just need to use your 1.6L's oil pan and mounts and such.

However, the turbo oil drain will basically be placed at an angle that will essentially force it to drain UP instead of down, and it has been reported by some that this can cause oil "pooling" in the turbo and cause smoking. The only solution for that is to source a JX (factory T3 1.6L TD) engine oil pan and turbo drain tube.

The other option is to get a T3 boxer engine bellhousing on your transmission, and use one of the adapters available and put the engine at a 15 degree mounting angle just like it is in the FWD cars and use one of the longitudal-mounted FWD EA827 engine oil pan (such as a B2 Passat/Quantum, Audi 4000, or Fox).
Old November 13th, 2009, 17:05   #3
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Go to the Yahoo home page. Search under TDI Conversion Groups. There are some good photos, etc., there!

And, try www.theSamba.com. There is some info there as well as a pretty good place to find parts, etc.

Also, continue to do research here in this Forum.

I've been working on a TDI ALH engine conversion. I've pretty much been on hold since last spring due to personal issues. Hopefully, in the next month I can get back to the job.

One of the things you will eventually need or want to do, is upgrade the transmission. The TDI engine will be cranking about 3500 rpm at 65 mph using the stock Vanagon tranny. There is gearing available to bring the RPMs down around 2800 at 65 mph .... your TDI will like that much better!
Old November 14th, 2009, 15:30   #4
garbird

Thanks to you both. I really appreciate your replies. Can either of you help me find links to companies that sell the adapters for the 15 degree mount. that sounds like a better idea. Although the first thing that come to mind is clearance for the engine cover. Can you tell me if this is an issue. I prefer not to have to modify the engine cover.
Old November 14th, 2009, 18:53   #5
AndyBees
Veteran Member

15 degree does require an engine cover mod.

As I suggested, go to www.yahoogroups.com do a search for TDI Converstions. I think you will find all you need and then some.

Seems that Kennedy comes to mind on adapters...... should be there in the Yahoo Groups!
Old November 14th, 2009, 19:45   #6
garbird

I found kennedy engineering, but they don't show anything for a diesel engine swap. I'll check with them Monday. The other that came up was fastforward automotive and they are out of business. I also went to the Yahoo groups and found over 14k entries. I'll have to go back when I have lots of time.
I would love to read details of your TDI swap If you publish it please send me a link.
Thanks again,
Garbird
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:39   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The Kennedy adapter is not diesel specific, because it does not need to be. All EA827 engines are the same, gas or diesel, in terms of the mounting and flywheel stuff.
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:13   #8
markward
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 29.25 mpg over 7200 mile trip.

Try here. I am not affilitated with this company, nor do I endorse them. http://www.eurospecsport.com/product...on%20Page.html

They discuss why they don't lay the engine over at 50 degrees. As stated above, you need to look at the AAZ or AHU for ease of installation. You would reuse all your diesel parts. That is a huge savings. I did not go that route, but used a later ALH engine. I reused the diesel bellhousing and carrier bars, but had to fabricate engine mount adapters to fit the stock diesel mounts and a new oil pan. I read about the turbo return line after I had my Vanagon on the road. My thinking was that as long as there was pressure on the inlet, the oil would return to the block. I don't know that it is an uphill return, but have not had any issues yet. When the time comes to replace the turbo, I will readdress the return. You will need to regear the transmission. Originally I used a transmission from an aircooled Vanagon. Andy's numbers were about correct with that gearing. I have since put in a real transmission. I am very happy with the final result. My only complaint is a vibration/resonance that I can't get rid of. If you are willing to mount at 15 degrees, you might have better results. mark
Old February 11th, 2010, 14:46   #9
garbird

I tried the yahoo group, but I think most of the posts there are about sex in hotel rooms. I gave up looking there for info. Way too much spam. I hope that never happens here.
Old February 11th, 2010, 15:00   #10
garbird

Ok, sorry about that last post. I was somehow redirected to a group called Turbovans. It was full of junk spammer stuff.
Old February 11th, 2010, 19:04   #11
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Yep, just do a search for TDI Conversions at yahoo groups. The Photos will impress you.
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:04   #12
theodore

Are the timing belts the same? im building two engines at the same time(i have regretted this already), I put the T-belt for the 1.6 on the 1.9 and visaversa...
peace.
theodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:21   #13
theodore

dos equis is no longer alowd in da shop...
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:22   #14
theodore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_EA827_engine
Old February 17th, 2018, 20:18   #15
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore View Post
Are the timing belts the same? im building two engines at the same time(i have regretted this already), I put the T-belt for the 1.6 on the 1.9 and visaversa...
peace.
The 1.9 is two teeth longer.
QuickTD is online now   Reply With Quote