www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 12th, 2009, 19:29   #1
darkmanCANADA

TDI(s): 2001 ALH
Fuel Economy: 1100+km per tank
Default Zerostart install

Picked up a Temro Zerostart inline coolant heater today. Just wondering if anyone has a parts list of stuff I need to install it. Or better yet a link to some install pics.
SOLD: 2001 Jetta TDI ALH,260000km,Ventectomy, Neuspeed P-Flo, EVO skidplate, Autotech intercooler vent, OMI, Street Toys 2.5" catless DP, Magnaflow catback, Kinetic Motorsports .205 nozzles, DieselPower tuning box, Scangauge II, 034 Street Density motor mounts, Moroso CCV catchcan, 11mm IP, K-Sport coilovers

Last edited by darkmanCANADA; November 12th, 2009 at 19:34. Reason: new title
darkmanCANADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 19:37   #2
Harden
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41.0 Average right now

Did you get it from FrostHeater? His kit comes with everything but tools. Including Install Pics and Instructions.

Coming Soon: DG Panzer Skid Plate, DG Sigma 6 Short Shift Kit, Blue Tinted Aspherical Mirrors, E-MFA Additional Gauges
Harden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 20:53   #3
darkmanCANADA

TDI(s): 2001 ALH
Fuel Economy: 1100+km per tank

Got it from Gregg Distributors (greggdistributors.ca) for $70 CAD. It would cost me close to $150 CAD to get it across the border. Just need the right hoses and misc parts. Anyone know the Gates,Dayco,Goodyear part numbers for the hoses?
SOLD: 2001 Jetta TDI ALH,260000km,Ventectomy, Neuspeed P-Flo, EVO skidplate, Autotech intercooler vent, OMI, Street Toys 2.5" catless DP, Magnaflow catback, Kinetic Motorsports .205 nozzles, DieselPower tuning box, Scangauge II, 034 Street Density motor mounts, Moroso CCV catchcan, 11mm IP, K-Sport coilovers
darkmanCANADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:44   #4
T_D_I_POWER
Veteran Member

Here's mine, Zerostart Series 8000 750 W. I used 1-elbow NAPA ECR hose PN 11025 and 2-worm gear type hose clamps.
The hose is installed on the supply side of the OHE. This way the oil in the OHE gets warm up first.

The NAPA store where I got the the hose, had very limited heater hoses. So, I got what looked to be the best fit, since I had very limited time to install the coolant heater. I'm planning redesign and use other better design hose in the near future.

The equivalent other hoses to NAPA ECR PN 11025 are as follows:
AC Delco PN 14155S
CarQuest s/a Gates PN 19025
Dayco PN 71877
Gates PN 19025
Good Year PN 63348
Motorcraft PN KM-4990

A

Rev A - Pictures added

1st TO USE Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...56&postcount=9
1st TO PREFILL OFH/OFI INSTL W/ OIL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=5
1st TO PREFIL FF W/ DIESEL FUEL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=14

Last edited by T_D_I_POWER; November 18th, 2009 at 19:09.
T_D_I_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:22   #5
Souzafone
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Worst 43+ Best 56.1 Avg. 45-46
Default Search is your friend

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...87&postcount=7

“Your lack of Oink Oink shows that you are Dazed and Confused as the biggest content in your reply, I had authored .”

99.5 Jetta, whitish.
Souzafone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 20:22   #6
HeavyG

TDI(s): jetta

TDI POWER, where on the car did you mount your heater?
HeavyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 19:13   #7
T_D_I_POWER
Veteran Member

HeavyG,

I'm sorry for the late reply. My wife just came home and I have to do pics compression in her laptop using MSO'07-the only tool I have. I hope those pics will help you.

1st TO USE Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...56&postcount=9
1st TO PREFILL OFH/OFI INSTL W/ OIL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=5
1st TO PREFIL FF W/ DIESEL FUEL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=14

T_D_I_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 14:37   #8
Brockflock
Veteran Member

Default Frostheater install

Okay, I have just finished getting the Frostheater kit installed.

If I had known upfront, I would have skipped it altogether.

WHAT A PAIN! The destructions that came w/ the kit were essentially useless, and the B&W pics were even worse. If I hadn't asked a VW mech about it forst, I never would have gotten this done nor would I have even known where to install it.

The hoses supplied were wrong lengths, and bent the wrong way. Sorry, but I cannot recommend this kit.

We'll see if it works right now!
Brockflock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 17:23   #9
MPBsr
Veteran Member

Had the Frostheater installed on the 09 TDI...Looks like the best $115 I paid to have it...installed.

Hooked it up last night with a timer for 3 hours before leaving for work. Started the TDI up and the temp guage went right to 190 degrees...instant heat.

Started pulling away and it dropped to 165 degrees, but within 5 minutes back up to 190.

So far very happy with it.
MPBsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 17:36   #10
flatlanded
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 55ish US MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 Beetlw TDi Victim
Okay, I have just finished getting the Frostheater kit installed.

If I had known upfront, I would have skipped it altogether.

WHAT A PAIN! The destructions that came w/ the kit were essentially useless, and the B&W pics were even worse. If I hadn't asked a VW mech about it forst, I never would have gotten this done nor would I have even known where to install it.

The hoses supplied were wrong lengths, and bent the wrong way. Sorry, but I cannot recommend this kit.

We'll see if it works right now!
Where did you get your kit from? I got one about a month ago. Took 20 minutes to install and was absolutely perfect. Fit like a glove, and works flawlessly. I got mine from FrostHeater.

... pretty easy seems to be the general consensus aswell...
flatlanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 20:43   #11
Wook660
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

There are different kits for different model years as specified on the website, maybe you ordered the wrong one.
Mahindra 4530 Diesel!
Wook660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 21:11   #12
LVTony

Mine went in fairly easy (and the NB is tight). It was harder getting the battery out of the way, but once done, there was plenty of room and the heater went in quick.

Nice having warm air blowing right away. The temperature does dip down for a few minutes like MPBsr said, but it's still way better than not plugging in.

04 NB TDi 5 speed, ventectomy, panzer plate, frost heater
06 Dodge 2500 CTD Goerend 48RE, HTT 62/65/14, Airdog
LVTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 19:19   #13
bakdoor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr
Had the Frostheater installed on the 09 TDI...Looks like the best $115 I paid to have it...installed.
Hooked it up last night with a timer for 3 hours before leaving for work. Started the TDI up and the temp guage went right to 190 degrees...instant heat.
Started pulling away and it dropped to 165 degrees, but within 5 minutes back up to 190.
So far very happy with it.
X2! Best add-on that I've bought for my Jetta. Can't beat the kit from Frostheater (with the necessary parts and pics, and even phone help from Terry if you're lost.) I also paid to have it installed. Money well spent. You get what you pay for.
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide-fuel sipper #2
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD-crawler hauler
1994 Jeep Wrangler-Rock Crawler
bakdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 19:25   #14
Catlin987987

TDI(s): Jetta

I brought mine from Candian tire and I didn't need anything, it only took me about 20 min. Iwill take pics tomarrow
Catlin987987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:44   #15
rhinoman

Fuel Economy: 5.1L/100KM

Looking forward to this. Was just wondering what the best option was for Ontario winters !
rhinoman is offline   Reply With Quote