stealership...funny

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Called Queensway VW parts department to order some transmission stretch bolts for a clutch job - parts guy informs me that they're special order, won't be in until Monday. I told him I was surprised that they didn't stock them, he says "why? we never change those!".....yikes:eek:

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Maybe another dealership has them in stock? Some seem to pick and choose what they have. Queensway is often the only one that stores the injector washers, while they are special order at the other Toronto dealers...

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
i swapped my clutch out to my new motor last winter and couldn't get the bolts soon enough and just reused them

i've put on 30k+ since then and no issues and a season of treatrous autoX and no issues, knock on wood

i don't think the clutch/fw bolts are strech bolts, they just suggest they be one time use

if you can get them,i would for piece of mind, just saying i'm not scared of reuseing them, if torqued right

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
I've know other people who worked at dealerships, and as independant mechanics, and none of them ever replaced any of the bolts.

I wonder if it's almost a cost vs. return visit $ comparison for the parent company, or a CYA for legal reasons. Or maybe they're just being German.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
yea i reused them aswell, they all torqued to spec there enough of them and i always think stuff is over engineered so if one fails the other will take up the slack

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
streeker02 said:
I was more amused by the fact that they never replace them.
Do you really have to replace them? What grade bolts are those?

Can i get a couple of your old bolts? I'll test them. I call BS, I don't believe in some of this voodoo magic. :p

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
petea4 said:
I call BS
Do as you wish... When I swap my engine, I'll be replacing all the so-called "stretch" bolts that are specified in Bentley... (I would hope that if you ever need to do this, you'll at least replace the flywheel to crank bolts...)

Y.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
When i replaced the DMF with a G60/VR6 setup, new bolts went in. The trans bolts were reused. I'm sure the trans will not fall out onto the 401.

Last edited:

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
ymz said:
... of course, we don't know how they were torqued...

Yuri
Doesn't everyone torque them the same way? Steel bolt in an aluminum mount(stupid design, the 2 metals should not be in contact). I would coat the bolt in antiseize, set my torque wrench to the target torque, and tighten bolt.

You could omit the anitseize, but what could be done differently?

You're saying if that bolt was new, it would not have snapped?

My theory to why that bolt broke. The mounts were shot as stated by the thread starter, so the engine moved around much more while in operation than normal. Consider that it is an auto, and that engine hammers back and forth hard and really relies on the mounts to be in good working order. If you neglect the mounts the bolts will fail as they are designed to fasten a joint, not absorb rattles and movement.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=263022

Solution: SOLID MOUNTS? :eek: :D

Pete

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
petea4 said:
Doesn't everyone torque them the same way? Steel bolt in an aluminum mount(stupid design, the 2 metals should not be in contact). I would coat the bolt in antiseize, set my torque wrench to the target torque, and tighten bolt.
I've heard of people using LockTite on those bolts, rather than anti-seize... We've also heard of mechanics just putting the air-gun on those bolts... As far as the dissimilar metals... VW has a special coating on those bolts that should take care of that problem... You do realize that when you put anti-seize, the resulting torque values have no relation to the spec... yes? (Rather, they do have a relation... net result is that the bolts are severely over-tightened...) The principle of Torque-to-Yield bolts is that the metal in the bolt streches a specific amount... Although the original torque spec for those bolts was indeed 44 Ft*Lbs plus 90 degrees (the newer spec being 74 Ft*Lbs), I'm not sure if they're truly of a T-T-Y design...

In any case, we've heard of too many instances of engines dropping out of cars following timing belts... bolts are cheap...

Yuri

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Just my .02. I always replace the engine side bolts after a timing belt job. The engine is much heavier than the transmission. But I have done a clutch on my old car and reused the mount bolts for the transmission. Much less strain on those as the transmission is much lighter.

Having said that, If I were to do it again, I would get the required bolts, its only a few $$$. But if they were not available, I wouldn't sweat it.