My 2000 Jetta TDI :)

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Thanks Rocketeer! I just had it painted about 6 months ago. I can finally give it a wax. Might do it in the next month or two when I get time.

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
rocketeer928 said:
Did you have the whole car painted? If so, how much, if you don't mind my asking? I've been thinking about having my Jetta re-painted: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=240389
I paid 700 out the door with $100 off special. I went to Maaco, but don't recommend it. I had to have them work on the car 4 times after it was painted to try and get all the perfections out, and they forgot to pull 2 dents out!

But for $700, the car don't look too bad, ya get what ya pay for. If you want Factory paint with some metal flake, its going to be about 2K to get the perfect finsih/paint job like it did when you bought it. I just could not fork out 2K, and the car was Sand Pitted all over, so it really needed it. Insurance paid for it all and then some :)

Edit: I just read your thread, sounds like you doing it for the same reason I did, Sand pitted. The windshield is next, it is soo bad!

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Trip!

I like pushing the MPG higher and higher on my car. My record MPG on my OEM nozzles where 55! I have not given the Sprint 520 nozzles there run for there money(MPG driving). I have reached 49MPG on them though. But this weekend, I will challenge them to a 900 mile journey. Plenty of highway to really test them out and get some mileage readings!

Car has not been this fresh in a while. It needs a good long cruise/road trip. Just changed the oil, filter, caterpillar fuel filter(16K overdue!), fresh tire rotation w/45PSI all around!

And when I get back, I'm going be changing out my Manual Tranny Fluid to Lubro Moly Fully Synthetic Gear Oil GL5 SAE 75W-90! Curious if MPG will change. Anyways, this tranny has near 165K on the same fluid which is crazy! And the manual says its life time seal tranny, never change the oil. But how long can they perform like this?

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Just got back from my trip and tested the 520's and I got 51.14 with 10-15MPH side/head wind! I still think I can hit 55 with them though on a good day and pumping tires up to 45 instead of 40.

So far I am not sold on the Sprint 520's improving MPG, but you still got all that Power! I think the is the most amazing thing about the nozzle upgrade I did. You get a lot more power, and don't loose any MPG!

God, I love my TDI!

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Finally washed the car and waxed it! I had to wait 6 months before I could wax a fresh coat of paint. She shined up real nice. Will be taking some shots today at work. I need a new Sig Pic. Also will be getting all new tint, new front windshield, detail the inside.

In a month or two, I will be getting my 100K timing job done, along with some new glow plugs, and a new fuel shut off valve solenoid and drum roll please......

Aligator Chip Tune and I will be buying the Flashzilla. I want to run 2 different tunes, one for MPG and one for Performance. The car is going to be so much fun again to drive. I think I am getting bit by the Mod Bug again......

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Nice car! Good idea on upcoming mods / detailing. (post pics! - in color, lol)

Just as an FYI. There is absolutely no reason that mpg and performance need to be in seperate tunes. Max mpgs come from intelligent injection timing during cruising conditions and smart driving. That's it. Your performance tune would involve more fuel and boost only under wide open throttle. So you can combine the two tunes into one (I suspect your tuner would recommend this as well). Unless you don't trust yourself to drive with any restraint when the performance tune is loaded... hehe. The flash-loaders are convienient, but you still don't want to be re-flashing the ECU every time your driving style changes.

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
shizzler said:
Nice car! Good idea on upcoming mods / detailing. (post pics! - in color, lol)

Just as an FYI. There is absolutely no reason that mpg and performance need to be in seperate tunes. Max mpgs come from intelligent injection timing during cruising conditions and smart driving. That's it. Your performance tune would involve more fuel and boost only under wide open throttle. So you can combine the two tunes into one (I suspect your tuner would recommend this as well). Unless you don't trust yourself to drive with any restraint when the performance tune is loaded... hehe. The flash-loaders are convienient, but you still don't want to be re-flashing the ECU every time your driving style changes.
Shizzler, good to know! One tune and not having to buy the flashzilla will save me $$$. More room for a 17/22 maybe by the en of the year :) it makes sense!

Took pics, just need to pick a few out, edit and upload them tonight.... In color :)

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
As Promised........ Dam it rained down pretty good today in South San Diego! I drove past a roll over on the way to work, it was nasty. Hopefully know one hurt... Anyways, here are some shots I picked out that I really like. If you had to pick one, which one would it be?

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Just got my tires rotated, Replaced the Coolant Sensor(CEL) & Glow Plugs(CEL). And currently waiting for my Ross Tech Auth Code. I have some CEL to clear up, study my Injector Pump Timing(hammer mode), And see how my timing on the motor is running.

Next week I will be doing a Diesel Purge, 100K timing job, and an Aligator Tune :) Will keep ya updated......

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Decided to change out the air filter, but more importantly, since the car has 170K miles on the original MAF and I have never cleaned it before, I decided to clean it with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Man was it dirty. Took the car out for a drive, made a small difference if any actually.

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Update

Got the Auth code today, so I brought my Mac Book that's running Vmware /w Windows XP PRO 64 SP3 and VAG-Com 409.1 and Popped on my works network to download my Auth File, Full Version!

I really don't know how to use this software, Only know how to do a Quick Scan, Graph the Timing, and clear the 2 CEL's that I currently have.

Quick Scan

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Chassis Type: 1J - VW G/J/B Mk4

Scan: 01,02,03,08,16,15,17,19,22,35,46,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 012 BD
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G400SG 2507
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 00066
2 Faults Found:
16764 - Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit Malfunction
P0380 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17664 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62): Open or Short to Plus
P1256 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 1J0 907 379 P
Component: ABS 20 IE CAN 0001
Coding: 03504
No fault code found.

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 17: Instruments
Controller: 1J0 920 900 L
Component: A4-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V59
Coding: 07242
Shop #: WSC 22230
IMMO-IDENTNR: VWZ7Z0Y2350591
No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway
Controller: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001
Coding: 00006
No fault code found.

Address 46: Central Conv.
Controller: 1J0 959 799 AJ
Component: 61 Zentral-SG Komf. 0001
Coding: 04096
1 Fault Found:
00934 - Electric Window Motor: Rear Left (V26)
62-10 - No or Incorrect Adjustment - Intermittent

Address 56: Radio
Controller: 1JM 035 157 A
Component: Radio DE2 0004
Coding: 02043
Shop #: WSC 22207
No fault code found.

End --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replaced all Glow Plugs & Coolant Temp Sensor, and cleared the code on my lunch brake. Drove home and no CEL! :) I have had the car for over 5 years now, and only about 20% of that time I did not have a CEL. Been lazy to fix the Glow Plug living in San Diego....

Anyhow... I need some help with 409.1 Vag-Com Software,any good threads to read upon for help?

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
So far I have fixed my High Rev on start ups, Down Shuttering and cleared all CEL's. Super happy about that!

Did a 100K timing job on the car and used Vag-Com to set the correct values on for fueling (IP) since I have Sprint 520's running on stock ecu & un-balanced Injectors bodies.(which should be the reason the IP was off, over fuleing?)

I also did a chip tune (aligator), and no problems at all. Drove over 200 miles today!

And yes, she's much faster! :) all evening driving on the west coast. Hit triple digits 3 times. Had a GTI that had a hard time keeping up with me. Me likey......

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
So far, money well spent on the Aligator tune. Much more responsive, smooth power gain all through out the rpms climb. Especially at 2800 rpms in 4th and 5th. Going from 80 to 105 mph when ur turbo is spooled does not take much time at all. If I had to guess, 135 hp 215 tq!

Engine has never ran better. I leave from San Diego to Phoenix for the next 2 days. Will be testing fuel mpg and passing power. Will post results soon.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Your car is coming along very nicely, and it looks sharp! Did you "smoke" that GTI?

Did someone recommend the MAF cleaning? I haven't done that yet, though I'm only at 87,000 miles.

So, what's the next mod? Oh wait, you asked me that question and I chose not to give a satisfying answer. Never mind.:p

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
That Gti couldn't keep up (as long as i was spooled up) very well.

No one recommended it I just thought it needed it with 170k on the original maf sensor.

Next mod... I would really like to go big on a turbo, but funds are low and I have 4 vehicles. My 84 Toyota needs some love. But I do want gauges and a new custom downpipe and maybe some balanced pp520's.

Just got to Phoenix and my average mpg hand calculated was 55.85! :) so far I am happy with the setup. Also had winds of 10-20 mph, rain, 2 sandstorms(errr, just got my car painted for this reason!), mountain climb up to 4200 feet , AC was on 20%, and cruised control at 70! Wife would not let me do 65 :( so I think with the current setup, good road conditions, and with out the extra 350lbs in the trunk(dogg, cage, case of coronas, tools ect) 60 mpg is achievable!

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Smoke! I def. Push some black smoke, but it's controlable with the pedal. It usually shoots out the back at around 2600RPM's.

I'm also getting 2-6 more MPG :) I really love my car now!

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Car is clean and full of diesel. Heading out today to drive Pacific Coast Highway all the way from San Diego to Santa Barbara! Staying the night at Hotel Mar Monte(www.hotelmarmonte.com). Will be dining and checking out the Wineries and Wine Tasting. The Saturday heading to Orange County for a night with friends and family. Sunday all day at the park by the beach in San Juan Capistrano, also will be BBQ'in with friends and family. Will try and snap some shots along the way. See you guys when I get back....... Wish me a safe trip!

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Finally got around to doing the Lubro Moly Diesel Purge on my car. The instructions said the fuel lines would turn from clear to red, but never did, not sure if that means my injector pump was clean or....

Anyways, made no difference on the motor afterwords. Maybe a smoother response but hard to tell. Anyways, im just glad I know its been done and her insides are cleaner... :)

Last edited:

blacksheep

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA TDI GLS
Maybe I did not notice cause I am colorblind........

That line has always looked like that to me.

Last edited: