www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old November 5th, 2009, 20:26   #1
shocker

Default 2009 Jetta TDI Winter Front

Just had this installed. Nice flap to close to control air flow. Cutout for license plate. Very nice quality.

Norm will install it for you or ship you one

Call him at 1-204-284-6650

Charles

Last edited by shocker; November 5th, 2009 at 20:30.
shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:38   #2
Concat
Veteran Member

How much did it run you? Website?

Is there one available without the cutout for a license plate?
Concat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:18   #3
Boost_virgin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

Kinda hard to see the black on black. Looks good, do they offer them of other years?
Boost_virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 20:31   #4
shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_virgin
Kinda hard to see the black on black. Looks good, do they offer them of other years?
He will make it for any vehicle. Mine was $90 installed. He will make you one without the plate cutout. You just have to call him. I told him to start putting them on ebay
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:49   #5
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

$90! Holy!

$5 work of pipe insulation should do it!

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 15:00   #6
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

Please bear in mind that '09s and '10s are different from all other TDIs that came before, in that they have a Diesel Particulate Filter.

Until we know more, putting a winter front on an '09 or '10 is probably risky business. When your DPF regenerates it gets hotter'n snot; the design relies upon huge amounts of cooling air flowing under your hood to keep it under control (as anyone who has ever interrupted a regen and listened to those fans knows). I cannot state it as a fact, merely a worry: things might-could get out of control under the hood with a winter front on...especially if you interrupt a regen. At the very least, you might consider unbuttoning your front if you interrupt a regen and hear those fans come on.

Anyway, thanks (sincerely) for being the guinea pig here. If you don't burn down your car and maybe your house with it within, say, the next 5,000 miles, please let us know.
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)

Last edited by DoctorDawg; November 7th, 2009 at 15:05.
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:39   #7
shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDawg
Please bear in mind that '09s and '10s are different from all other TDIs that came before, in that they have a Diesel Particulate Filter.

Until we know more, putting a winter front on an '09 or '10 is probably risky business. When your DPF regenerates it gets hotter'n snot; the design relies upon huge amounts of cooling air flowing under your hood to keep it under control (as anyone who has ever interrupted a regen and listened to those fans knows). I cannot state it as a fact, merely a worry: things might-could get out of control under the hood with a winter front on...especially if you interrupt a regen. At the very least, you might consider unbuttoning your front if you interrupt a regen and hear those fans come on.

Anyway, thanks (sincerely) for being the guinea pig here. If you don't burn down your car and maybe your house with it within, say, the next 5,000 miles, please let us know.
Ummm...you live in North Carolina...I live in Canada, Manitoba to be exact and it stays lower than -30 F for 2 weeks at a time! I don't think a regen with a front is going to kill my engine. I'd say you have more chance of that on a hot day in the summer without anything covering the grill!

I don't have the front on right now and plan on only installing it once it gets to about -10F...which is a normal winter day where I live...for a high!
Old November 8th, 2009, 14:56   #8
Turbine Suburban
Veteran Member

Yeah, but the regen does produce some incredible amount of BTU's. outside in motion maybe not a problem. Inside a garage or whatever, and I for one would not want the flow impeded.

Good luck with that, let us know how it works out.
Turbine Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 16:21   #9
shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbine Suburban
Yeah, but the regen does produce some incredible amount of BTU's. outside in motion maybe not a problem. Inside a garage or whatever, and I for one would not want the flow impeded.

Good luck with that, let us know how it works out.
Actually, came home today and it was doing a regen as I pulled into the garage. I lifted the hood and it really wasnt that bad for heat. The winter front was off. Trust me guys, it gets cold up here. More than you know probably.

Pipe insulation on an 09 TDI...that is so Whiskey Tango
Old November 17th, 2009, 21:04   #10
shocker

Here is an interesting article. Read the part about a DPF not clearing on engines at highway speeds because of tall top gears. The engine does not reach suitable speeds/load to heat the filter enough so they suggest harder driving. It could be possible that in very cold climates such as where I live in Canada that a winter front may actually HELP clear the DPF but increasing the engine temps to equal what happens in the summer or in areas such as the deep south.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:42   #11
Elfnmagik
Veteran Member

Good little read.
Old November 18th, 2009, 17:48   #12
shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfnmagik
Good little read.
Yup...was thinking that too. So many times the article is soooo long you just give up after reading for 2 minutes
Old October 6th, 2010, 22:32   #13
tedkidd

TDI(s): 11 JSW

Wow, I guess i dont stand a chance at winning the obscure website article finder award.

Last edited by tedkidd; October 9th, 2010 at 00:12.
tedkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:33   #14
Grich

TDI(s): Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker View Post
Here is an interesting article. Read the part about a DPF not clearing on engines at highway speeds because of tall top gears. The engine does not reach suitable speeds/load to heat the filter enough so they suggest harder driving. It could be possible that in very cold climates such as where I live in Canada that a winter front may actually HELP clear the DPF but increasing the engine temps to equal what happens in the summer or in areas such as the deep south.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html
I live in northern Ontario Canada and when I go from highway speed 60 mph down to city speed 35mph you can see the temp drop down considerably on the temp gauge. Even with a winter front, if you can call it that LOL. I couln't find one except one last year like the one in this article, it was in Saskatchewan but they wanted $250. No way was I going to pay that much for a winterfront, so I been going Redneck style with a black garbage bag. Looks crappy but works great. I froze the 1st winter ...temp gauge wouldn't even move when it was -30F Untill I blocked off the front grill with the plastic garbage bag, so I can't see it getting too hot for the DPF too work properly.
Grich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:28   #15
FXDL
Veteran Member

Is there any where that I can get a winter front for my 2006 Jetta in and around the Toronto Ontario area? The one from Manitoba above looks great but would like one from around my area. Sure would help the car warm up faster and stop cold drafts coming in and the wife from biting my ear off every time about how cold diesels are. Thank-you and have a great day now eh.
FXDL is offline   Reply With Quote