Where is WALDO (G179) cant find the freaking crash sensor 01221

volks_r_us

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI
PICS ADDED Where is WALDO (G179) cant find the freaking crash sensor 01221

Well I have been playing where is waldo with my 2006 MK5 Jetta side Crash Sensor (G179) .

I am getting code 01221

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): Open Circuit / Short to Plus

Surprisingly the dealer sale the sensor for $79 can keep them in stock
My car as not been accidented so the sensor is probly defective.

I did my homework and bought the Bentley but will only get it next week

I also google the net. I read that the sensor was in pillar where the seat belt is ... WRONG nothing there

then under the driver seat ... NOthing there

then under the driver carpet , nope.

before I torn down the whole car, would someone be kind enough to check is bentley and tell me where the freaking (G179) is ;)

I need to turn off the light ASAP it's driving me nuts

Thanks
Alex

Last edited:

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
volks_r_us said:
Well I have been playing where is waldo with my 2006 MK5 Jetta side Crash Sensor (G179) .

I am getting code 01221

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): Open Circuit / Short to Plus

Surprisingly the dealer sale the sensor for $79 can keep them in stock
My car as not been accidented so the sensor is probly defective.

I did my homework and bought the Bentley but will only get it next week

I also google the net. I read that the sensor was in pillar where the seat belt is ... WRONG nothing there

then under the driver seat ... NOthing there

then under the driver carpet , nope.

before I torn down the whole car, would someone be kind enough to check is bentley and tell me where the freaking (G179) is ;)

I need to turn off the light ASAP it's driving me nuts

Thanks
Alex
I just looked it up on my ebahn as a learning experience since I have the same car. You will find sensor G179 inside the drivers door about mid point under the outer door plate. In the reference photograph I can see the magnet of the large door speaker just to the right and slightly below the sensor. The color photo also indicates the sensor is light blue and the harness plug that connects it is light yellow. Please also make sure that you disconnect the battery before going after it and I also believe you have to use VCDS to perform a recognition reset of the sensor and they recommend you stay out of the car during the proceedure. Also, don't assume that the sensor is defective until you've checked the harness since its subject to flexing every time you open and close the door. I've had several cars with power window problems that were caused by broken wires in that troublesome flex point. Hope that helps,
Frank

Last edited:

volks_r_us

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Well I asked the same Question Vwvotex and got a totaly different answer
I am aware of the wire problem in these doors and would make alot of sense, since the car as over 180K on it.

but on the other hand how can we explain this :eek:
pulling the trunck appart is a Pita but the door panel is much worst. I am tired of digging for that miserable G179

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
Crash sensor for side airbag is inside the doors. If you have code, it might be the door wiring harness broken at the door grommet.

volks_r_us

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI
This is fun , Volkswagen and their Super Resistant Always Stay soft wires.

I cant belive this on a Freaking 2006 :eek:

For a Moment I tought I was working a Saturn :D

you can see the lil blue guy there

Belive it or not this had already been done at the Dealer while under warranty

The 2 little wires (purple and brown) far right are for G179 (air bag side sensor)

Last edited:

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
volks_r_us said:
Belive it or not this had already been done at the Dealer while under warranty
I would go back to them and ask for the NEW harness. For free.

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
I'm affraid thats what my harness looks like... I have intermittent power door sensor problems with my drivers door:(

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yeiks! On a 2006?!? I see failures like that on the A3 and A2 era cars... I have yet to see that sort of thing on a Mk4. When I pulled the front door harnesses out of my 99.5 they were still perfect.

Does the harness flex at the rubber boot after the connector? The Mk4 door harnesses are wrapped in cloth tape, not that hard looking tape so they are very flexible. I have a feeling that hard tape limits the harness' movement and makes it pull and tug on the one spot where the wires broke.

-Jason

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
maloosheck said:
VW has changed that grommet design in mk6. It should be less prone to failing.
That doesn't really help the MKV people at all. I don't understand why VW would change something that worked perfectly in an MKIV to something horrible in the MKV...unless it was cheaper. HMMM!?!

BioDan

TDI
2000 golf TDI 2002 TDI Jetta 91 1.6 TD Jetta
My 2005 Passat TDI sensor under the passenger seat had no corrosion issues and the sensor showed 0 resistance , 01222 and G180 were the codes , I will now have a look at this wiring issue.
Thanks for this picture file and explanation!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
From what I have read here that the early A5 door harness is made slightly to short and causes the chaffing wire problem. I ordered a replacement from 1rst VW Parts For about $130 so I can change mine when I start to have door wiring problems.

When I ordered mine, Zeb told me that VW has revised the harness P/N something like 3 times.

Being that I have a spare on the shelf, the original harness will probably last the life of the car.:rolleyes: At 105K miles with no problems yet.