www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 17:52   #1
thermographer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.7/46.06/39.66 800 mile club 3 times.
Default Breaking EGR cooler pipes? Check this!

I found out that the dealership that preformed my EGR cooler recall left off a bracket, part number 038-129-811-B.

If you are breaking EGR cooling pipes, check that this simple bracket is in place. I suspect the missing bracket added to the vibration of the entire unit causing my upper and lower tubes to break.

Hopefully it was just my car and not the status quo of the dealership. Please post if your bracket is missing, I'd like to know how wide spread this is.

Remove engine cover and should be easy to see.

Air intake removed to get a good picture. Not normal to open the air intake, but willing to take one for the team.

Last edited by thermographer; November 4th, 2009 at 07:42.
thermographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:10   #2
T_D_I_POWER
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing

1st TO USE Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...56&postcount=9
1st TO PREFILL OFH/OFI INSTL W/ OIL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=5
1st TO PREFIL FF W/ DIESEL FUEL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=14

T_D_I_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:00   #3
mljjones67

TDI(s): 2002 jetta

My bracket is missing. Guess its time time find one.
mljjones67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:45   #4
MartyMcfly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta

I just did an EGR Cooler delete, I have a fresh, mint, lower EGR tube that runs from the ex manifold to the cooler for sale if interested. 25$ plus shipping. PM me if interested.
MartyMcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 15:25   #5
oEo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's

My bracket is there...

2 0 0 4 I n d i g o B l u e G o l f R C 1 T D I C L U B A D D I C T I O N @ 1 4 9 k R u n n i n g W i t h T 6 U O A
oEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 21:36   #6
thermographer
Veteran Member

If you have to go the way of the dealership, it's shouldn't cost you over $15. My dealership did not have this in stock and had to special order it.

If you want to order it online, check here,
http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...te_222693.html

Besides adding the bracket, you will want to check the cooler mounts are not broken as some have pointed out. If even 1 is broken, I'm guessing (note it's a guess) that any extra vibration could cause the egr cooler pipes to break.
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:42   #7
supton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/33

I don't remember seeing that bracket on mine (but did see the broken mount). Is this something that was supposed to be on there from the get-go? Or was this bracket added last year?
supton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:23   #8
Tom_B
Veteran Member

My dealer left it off. They also stripped the flange at the connection to the lower pipe and used a threaded insert. After I had two lower pipes break, found a lower bolt from flange to the block missing and two broken ears on the cooler, I confronted my dealer. To their credit, they manned up and replaced the cooler unit 40k miles after they did the recall. This time they added the upper bracket to the cooler -- they just didn't bother to bolt it to the engine. One more trip and all is well. So far.
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:20   #9
PDJetta
Veteran Member

If the EGR cooler recall was performed (the M-6 Campaign), a complete kit should have been used. This kit includes a new lower EGR pipe and it is a different part number than the original lower pipe because it is bent ever so slightly differently to fit the new cooler. These pipes look the same. So the two lower pipes are not interchangeable. Just something to be aware of.

--Nate
Old November 11th, 2009, 18:18   #10
thermographer
Veteran Member

Thanks PD, that reminded me to post this,

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/m6_campain.pdf

The EGR cooler emissions recall that started this mess if anyone needs to look it up.
Old November 11th, 2009, 19:00   #11
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Thanks for the instructions (this is also great to read for the removal of the cooler for the Diesel Geel EGR cooler delete kit (that does not come with instructions). Notice in the M6 instructions (the parts list, specifically) the part number of the new lower pipe ends in "CC" and the instructions state it is a new part number. I am not sure the part numbers appear on the pipes, though.

I am sure that the wrong pipe used will lead to breakage. I think it will bolt up, but under tension.

Notice how detailed the cooler installation instructions are. The bolts MUST be installed in the sequence given to relieve all tension on the pipes. Many failed jobs where the lower pipe breaks are because the dealer just slapped the new cooler kit on, disregarding the instructions, because it is tedious to do it right. Some people report that the black metal cooler support bracket was left off too!

This is another recall I never had the dealer perform on my car and for good reason.

--Nate
Old November 21st, 2009, 15:49   #12
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

Finally had a chance to check mine today... missing the bracket too. I ditched the broken tubes ages ago, but I still have a buzzing sound at one specific RPM. Maybe I'll hit up the dealer that did the recall to see if they'll give me a bracket. Otherwise, it'll just sit that way until I rip the whole cooler off too.
Old November 21st, 2009, 15:55   #13
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

JasonTDI says that dealers often also leave out a couple of the cooler bolts that are really hard to reach. Says it can take nearly an hour to get them in, but if you don't do it you'll keep breaking pipes. Maybe someone can take a look with a mirror and camera and see which ones he means.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 21:35   #14
cochranecustoms
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg

Wow fantastic post, one of the best I have ever read, thanks. My lower pipe keeps cracking too. I am going to eliminate the egr cooler circuit. Thanks!
cochranecustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 00:53   #15
thermographer
Veteran Member

I'm wondering if your bracket was in place or missing.

The bracket shown in the pictures is in the shape of a C and you need to insure the upper and lower bolts are in place. I can see how the lower bracket bolt would be left off, it looks like a challenge to get that one in.