Prothe: now dba as WestPortParts.com

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Emiata, Prothe, probably more names. Now has a new website: westportparts.com/. and wagenparts.com/.

Do your research before buying any of these parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
If anyone wants to view the links they will have to cut & paste them. I removed the live links because I don't want a suspect scammer linked to TDIClub.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
oops, just found these sites: sauerkrautparts.compassat-parts.comjetta-parts.comdieselvw.comvolkswaparts.com.emiata.comdieselvw-canada.comvw-timing-belt-kits.com

interestingly enough they are a member of the BBB:
[bbb.org/charlotte/business-reviews/auto-parts-and-supplies-new/rothenbacher-engineering-in-matthews-nc-215356

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Dieselfueler ...... Bkmetz deleted the links per his prior post, and now you re-linked them? Might want to fix that.

I will add this: Prothe, IMHO, is somewhere above vortex (i.e. broken the story of what is sold on vortex) and ebay (i.e. things that are overstated as to their quality and made in China). IMHO he is not a scammer. Like many others, he sells Asian Basin VW Parts/knockoffs similar to the stuff you will find on ebay or buy at Harbor Freight.

I would defineatly apply junkyard rules to any purchases from him (i.e. I would not buy any electrical items, turbos, nozzles, injection pumps, ball joints, shocks, struts --- the stuff that will fry your car or kill the occupants therewithin from him). However, plastic caps and odds and ends that are difficult to find elsewhere are okay. I am also unaware of any specific case where he has taken one's money and failed to deliver the product. I am well aware of people that have bought (for reasons I cannot fathom) injection pumps and turbos that have been crap.

That is my opinion.

Last edited:
TDI
96 glx variant tdi
He may be many things including a seller of lower quality parts yes, but I agree he's probably not a scammer. I am quite sure though he is smiling everyday as he goes to the bank. I wonder if the powers to be would let us compile a list of the websites he owns so the newbies would know to avoid them ?

k_harley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2005 Audi S4, 1997 Audi A4 Race car, 2004 Passat TDI 6MT 4motion
Scammer no, poor quality parts, poor customer service, poor knowledge YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
thebigarniedog said:
I am also unaware of any specific case where he has taken one's money and failed to deliver the product. That is my opinion.
I bought something cheap from him but received an item not as described and non functional so he agreed to a return. I returned it with a tracking number, followed up with calls, was treated rudely, and no refund. That is almost the same as taking someone's money.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...can't get fooled again.

hvacr9e

Veteran Member
TDI
03 nb,06 jetta,82 vw truck,84 vw rabbit wvo
I bought china injectors for my 1.6 na ...junk... I installed and later went to change return lines and the return nipple pulled out of injector.

then before doing my tb change I seen he had alh timing tools for cheap,figured what the heck,the cam plate was nice,the tensioner wasnice but the pin would not fit,like .010 big,used drill bit and all was well

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
chittychittybangbang said:
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...can't get fooled again.
I think that saying has forever been changed. Not to mention people "working hard to put food on their family." :D

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Here's another post where he took a return and never gave back the money. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4521360 I didn't keep my records because it was so long ago and small cash.

The next time this happens, somebody send a complaint here: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx . What happened to me and what supposedly happened to this guy goes beyond shoddy parts and bad service, it crosses a line into what is, in my opinion, fraud.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
People have showed up with his parts and I WILL NOT install them.

Either they buy a kit from me or reschedule for a later date. No exceptions.

This guy has ruined at least 10 engines that I know of due to the sub-par parts quality. Honestly I'm surprised someone hasn't gone and given him a "tune up".

brucebanes

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.B
I have a friend that got a turbo from him 2 years ago he claimed OEM and it was 'made in China' he installed it and it fell apart within a year. My friend left negative rating on Ebay and the guy responded that he was 'full of crap' and that he has enough customers that like his parts. The guy is a cheat plain and simple.

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
The worst part is that if you are looking for parts it is hard to miss this guy. While his website building skills are awful, his ability to get pulled into almost any search for parts is second to none. That and his powerseller status on Ebay where he floods the listings with his parts makes it very easy for him to attract thousands of unsuspecting customers.

If I were Peter I would be very upset about tdi-parts ripping off my tdiparts good name.

jasonTDI

TDI
Yep, a letter to him from an attorney might be in order. It's pretty blatant.

DaveInSaltLake

TDI
1982 VW Caddy diesel
I recently bought a rebuilt pump from them that arrived DOA. On the phone today they told me it won't be a problem to get a refund if I ship it back to them with a note. After reading some of the experiences on this forum I doubt it will be that simple. I really didn't do enough research before buying from them, but the sheer number of names/websites they use makes it difficult....until there's a problem and one digs deeper.

I joined this forum to make this post.

Dave In Salt Lake
1982 VW Caddy

2bad4jaz

TDI
2001 Jetta
Protech 1 inc engine rip off!! I have a 2001 Jetta. I talked to a guy named TONY, and I bought a motor off him for $2,800, he sold me a 2003 and he gave me a vin# on April 6, and he told me the motor only had 64,000 miles. Tony told me to wait a few days for the vin, he had to find it on a shelf in the back.

I was waiting for the transmission to come back from being rebuilt at the trans shop. I recieved it back on June 14. We put the motor and trans in the car. The engine knocked on start up. Once it warmed up, it sounded like a bad cam and lifters. So I changed them, and not cheap Chinese stuff. The cam and lifters were bad, the cam was pitted and the lifters were worn in the middle. The knock was still there. I would have been happy if this fixed the motor. I thought I had a low mile motor. I called Protech 1 on July 1st and got the voicemail all day. He e-mailed me on July 3rd and said they were closed til the 6th, and now says the motor is a 2001 with 65,000 miles. They said my motor was out of warranty. Now he says I bought my motor on March 31. The credit card was charged on the April 6. And was shipped from a junkyard. I called them all day on July 6&7. No answer. Then, they e-mail me saying they won't be open til the 10, but they said they would return messages. They said to us, what could be wrong with the motor? They would see what they could do. We are still calling now on July 27, they are screening thier calls and will not answer the phone. They have not returned my call one time. They e-mailed me yesterday, and now they said they have protocols and they said my engine is out of warranty. I had a 30 day fit and 90 day warranty. They are telling me that I bought the motor a week before it was even charged to my account. I recieved it on April 8, they said I bought it on March 31.

Tony from PROTECH 1 INC, ENGINE DIVISION is from Elton, North Carolina. The motor came from Sanchez Autobody in Grand Prairie Texas. The car that matched the vin was from New York at a car dealer posted for sale on a Car Fax report.

Now I checked the rod and main bearings. I found copper showing on the rods. This motor is nothing but a junkyard core. For $2,800. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get my money back. Beware of this guy. Scam artist and Bait and Switch. Help , Jetta911 or 2bad4jaz.

jasonTDI

TDI
EASY. CHARGE BACK.

You have it documented. They avoided.

They loose.

2bad4jaz

TDI
2001 Jetta
Protech 1 inc engine rip off!! I have a 2001 Jetta. I talked to a guy named TONY, and I bought a motor off him for $2,800, he sold me a 2003 and he gave me a vin# on April 6, and he told me the motor only had 64,000 miles. Tony told me to wait a few days for the vin, he had to find it on a shelf in the back.

I was waiting for the transmission to come back from being rebuilt at the trans shop. I recieved it back on June 14. We put the motor and trans in the car. The engine knocked on start up. Once it warmed up, it sounded like a bad cam and lifters. So I changed them, and not cheap Chinese stuff. The cam and lifters were bad, the cam was pitted and the lifters were worn in the middle. The knock was still there. I would have been happy if this fixed the motor. I thought I had a low mile motor. I called Protech 1 on July 1st and got the voicemail all day. He e-mailed me on July 3rd and said they were closed til the 6th, and now says the motor is a 2001 with 65,000 miles. They said my motor was out of warranty. Now he says I bought my motor on March 31. The credit card was charged on the April 6. And was shipped from a junkyard. I called them all day on July 6&7. No answer. Then, they e-mail me saying they won't be open til the 10, but they said they would return messages. They said to us, what could be wrong with the motor? They would see what they could do. We are still calling now on July 27, they are screening thier calls and will not answer the phone. They have not returned my call one time. They e-mailed me yesterday, and now they said they have protocols and they said my engine is out of warranty. I had a 30 day fit and 90 day warranty. They are telling me that I bought the motor a week before it was even charged to my account. I recieved it on April 8, they said I bought it on March 31.

Tony from PROTECH 1 INC, ENGINE DIVISION is from Elton, North Carolina. The motor came from Sanchez Autobody in Grand Prairie Texas. The car that matched the vin was from New York at a car dealer posted for sale on a Car Fax report.

Now I checked the rod and main bearings. I found copper showing on the rods. This motor is nothing but a junkyard core. For $2,800. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to get my money back. Beware of this guy. Scam artist and Bait and Switch. Help , Jetta911 or 2bad4jaz.
I also have a copy of all the e-mails and reciepts, and shipping forms.