2004 Passat Timing Belt replacement procedure

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
abctdi said:
Too late...chainless at 56k under warranty, now what?
Did they not replace the timing belt/tensioner etc when they did the balance shaft?:confused: You should have requested it, and paid for the parts, if necessary. That would have got you to 136,000 miles or more without having to worry about it.

If they didn't, I would have it done sooner rather than later .... but definitely not more than 80K, in this case.

BTW, VW does recommend 80K now.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I had mine done while Oilhammer had it torn apart. It is a relief to have that all out of the way on mine! Do a search on what Oilhammer thinks about the interval or PM him. He has probably seen more of these timing belts than most. Bear in mind that after a certain point, age is more important than overall miles, so you MAY have to replace it sooner.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
The dealer was not interested in mixing in other work with the warranty BSM replacement and I don't blame them. If it were on my dime, I agree that was the time to do it.
I've seen, check it at 80 and replace if req'd, otherwise 100 is fine.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
The timing belt comes off anyway so there would have been no additional work. But its tough to argue when the service is free.

Anyway, I believe the manual says check at 90K and replace at 100K but if you call VW, they will say 80K and the newer Bently DVDs list 80K as the replacement interval.

Can you go to 100K .... probably. Will anyone guarantee that? No

Your timing belt and tensioner also had the unfortunate circumstance of being removed and then reinstalled. Does this affect the life, I don't know, but I'm sure it doesn't help.

Here's the thread with the general discussion about the belt replacement.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=229870

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The last dealer TB job I saw on one of these was a paint and pray job. They'd also grabbed the fan clutch pulley with large pliers or something. It gouged the pulley. The pulley had chewed up the *new* serpentine belt. Owner was not happy.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Not sure why they would have done this to the pulley. I just removed the fan itself and was able to slip out the serp tensioner, not saying there was a lot of wiggle room but it came out:confused: