How to adjust your stock shift linkage--video

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
No, the 99.5 Golf & Jetta and '98-'99 New Beetle are entirely different. Their shifters do not resemble the later cars at all.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Wow, nice touch on the bird sounds in the background ;) And a very clear video How-To. This procedure is very difficult to explain using words because many of the pieces involved have no common name everyone would recognize.

I struggled following the Bentley's procedure when I did this, but when you get it, it's adjusted perfectly.

Last edited:

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I tried and tied to shoe the darn Mockingbird away to no avail! There's a Cooper's Hawk that frequents the area keeps him quiet most of the time.

The shifter adjustment procedure is perfect for video. 3.5 minutes pretty much takes care of it.

Injection pump seals are next.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Contact me at work 210 852 4819 during 9-5 biz hours Central time.

Last edited:

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Most of the slop on those cars is from big clearances on the shifter parts in the engine bay. Take a look and you will see what I mean.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Start replacing parts...I don't have any details other than buying the parts that have big clearances. 1J0 711 202B is one of the big ones.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
FYI,

If your locking pin is broken and no longer holds your shift weight in position, 9 quarters stacked up and taped together worked for my 2001 Golf and the TT short shifter. center the weight side to side and set the metal of the weight down on the quarters.

YMMV. but it did work for me.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
If doing this doesn't fix it, you will need a TCM adjustment..

and only YOU can preform that adjustment on your car. no one else has the ability.

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
corrado tdi said:
Injection pump seals are next.
How soon, and are you talking about all the seals, cause I sure could use it! Just ordered one of your reseal kits and the viton seal...hammer mod killed it... I figure I might as well do them all while at it. Probably totally remove the pump too so I can work in a clean environment.

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Maybe when you have a chance, do a video instruction installing the short shift kits (and show the improvements of your design vs the stock one)

I still need to get around to installing it on the passat

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I have been trying to get it done but it's hard to shoot the whole thing in one take. The telephone ringing and Mockingbirds singing have blown two good takes so far. I also have some sinus congestion right now so it has to wait until I sound human again.

Business has been especially good lately, too. Hard to find the time.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Shifter adjustment

My shifting problem is that in a hurried 2 to 3 shift the lever quite often hangs up in a place between 1st and 3rd - rather annoying. Using a slow normal, but deliberate, 2 to 3 shift all is OK. I haven't tried this adjustment. Will it cure this problem? If not, what to do? Thanks

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Never hurt to try this first...stock cable ends don't like to be hurried.

theantirice

TDI
none
vwdsmguy said:
My shifting problem is that in a hurried 2 to 3 shift the lever quite often hangs up in a place between 1st and 3rd - rather annoying. Using a slow normal, but deliberate, 2 to 3 shift all is OK. I haven't tried this adjustment. Will it cure this problem? If not, what to do? Thanks
Same problem here. Very aggravating.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
I'm actually starting to get vibration through the shifter. While driving, it's kindof a droning sound. If you put your hand on the shifter, the droning goes away. I'm wondering if it just needs to be adjusted?

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
If your car gets from gear to gear well then the adjustment is probably spot on. Worn parts in the engine mount system and shift linkage have resulted in your shifter hitting it's critical frequency in the driving speed you use most often. As an experiment, if you took a round lead fishing sinker and drilled a 12mm hole in it and put it just under the clamp on shift boot/knob you would probably get rid of the droning. Not saying that I recommend doing that but changing the weight on the stick changes the whole system's critical frequency. A lot of B5 Passat/Audi A4 shift sticks have weights attached, mounted in rubber.