www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 25th, 2009, 15:37   #1
ibyte
Veteran Member

Default Replacing AC Clutch without loosing refrigerant

On a 2000 jetta tdi manual trans. Is it possible to replace the ac clutch without opening the the refrigerant lines?
Is it as easy as loosening the belt.
Using a clutch/pulley puller and replacing i t with a new one?
Do i need to lockdown the compressor from turning? how?
Thanks for any response.
Also where can i source just the AC clutch/pulley/magnet ?
ibyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:20   #2
redbaron58p

I haven't done it on the jetta yet, but on my Saab it was as easy as putting the car up on jackstands, dropping the compressor down (there is enough hose to allow some working room) and remove the clutch/pulley. The clutch is typically a plate on the very outside of the pulley and may not even require removing the compressor from its mount. It should be very easy to do since its right on the bottom of the car.
Question is, can you get a clutch plate seperately? It may be wise to do the bearing at the same time if you're going to all this trouble. They tend to go bad about the same time and will leave you stranded if it really goes bad.
redbaron58p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 18:53   #3
PDJetta
Veteran Member

No experience personally, but I have read here that for some odd reason a new compressor (with clutch) costs about what a replacement clutch does.

--Nate
Old September 26th, 2009, 19:01   #4
redbaron58p

I looked around and can't see just the clutch for sale anywhere. This is typical though. Most manufacturers don't sell the individual parts, though you could probably find them directly as I did in the case of my saab's compressor bearing which had failed. Naturally, the shops all wanted me to buy a $500 compressor to fix what turned out to be $40 bucks in parts. I was able to find the bearing and clutch from a place called Polar Bear AC supply. Look them up on the web. They sell many of the individual mechanical parts for these compressors, but you will need to know the model of compressor. They don't have a way to cross reference to the type of car usually.

For me, it was worth the effort to save hundreds at the shop.
redbaron58p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 19:10   #5
gquenstedt
Veteran Member

I got a new clutch from an Ebay seller for $100. I highly recommend him. If anyone needs contact info, pm me.
gquenstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 19:33   #6
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

To answer the original question - you do not loose any refrigerant. Remove the belt then remove the center nut. To do this you'll need to hold the end plate still. I was able to grab one of the nubs with pliers (Beetle was a little tight). Once that plate comes off there is a circlip holding the pulley on. Behind that is a circlip holding the coil in place. The owner of the car I was working on bought a whole used compressor just for the clutch and it was relatively cheap.
Old September 27th, 2009, 00:40   #7
spleecho
I don't kill trees Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: Lowest 36.1, Highest 53.7, AVG 44.4

I've done it, yes it's possible, wear double rubber gloves your knuckles will love you for it and don't don't leave the compressor hanging by the hoses
spleecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:48   #8
Rxfire
Veteran Member

iT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT DISCONNECTING THE ALTERNATOR (BUT YA NEED A SPECIAL/SHORTENED TOOL)

SEE:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=234251

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ghlight=pulley

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=146580
2 each 2003 GLS Jetta Wagons (White/tan leather and White/black leather), 5 speeds, Panzer plates, roof rack cross bars, homelinks, 520 nozzles, ventectomies, trailer hitch, VR6 front springs; 1986 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel, 1985 Isuzu P'up NA Diesel
Rxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 14:44   #9
hevster1

TDI(s): 98 NB
Fuel Economy: 40-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxfire
The tools you show are for Alternator pulley NOT A/c clutch.
NJ's best shop performing Quality Repairs on TDI's, Toyota, Lexus, Scion and other European and Asian cars as well as Motorcycles & ATV's. Written warranty, reasonable prices. ASE L-1 & A-9 Master re-certified. NEW LOCATION: Montague NJ. Hunter Wheel Alignment. Snap-on Tire Service.I don't need to have specials, my prices are better already!
www.mmautocycle.com
hevster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 14:54   #10
ta79pr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 TTQ (BEW)
Fuel Economy: avg. 43

can
rent the wrench from autozone
ta79pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:11   #11
Gearhead51
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

I did mine on stands from underneath. It's not a bad job at all. I decided to replace the bearings, plate, and clutch magnet all together rather than get a "built in who knows where" aftermarket compressor.
'00 Silver Jetta TDI on Ground Control coilovers, Koni Yellows, B&M shifter, Audi R8 reps, and VNT20 ST2b. R520. '99.5 F350 with injectors, 4page chip, intake, and exhaust, '00 Honda RC51 in race plastics, Ducati 1098S, '94 RX7 436RWHP Rotary 4 life!
Gearhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 20:24   #12
gquenstedt
Veteran Member

I got the clutch replaced and it worked perfect for several weeks. Now today, it doesn't cool anymore. If you turn the A/C off, it makes a terrible noise.

I got under it and checked it, and the front plate free spins... and the nut and shaft don't spin with the plate. I put a socket on the nut to try to take it off, and I could spin the nut which was turning the compressor shaft. I could turn it with the socket with just using my fingers.

Any ideas? new compressor? new front plate?

Thanks
-Grant
gquenstedt is offline   Reply With Quote