www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old July 23rd, 2010, 15:21   #46
quailallstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzcad90 View Post

17. If your car was equipped with the Aux In connector in the center console, you must do some pin swapping on the BLUE connector in the electrical harness. These steps are covered here.

The large black connector actually houses three smaller connectors. You will be removing the blue connector from the black connector. Use a small screwdriver to push the clip down on the blue connector and pull it from the black connector. One side of the blue connector is open so you can see the black housing inside of it. On the side of the blue connector you can see a little spot to pry and the blue housing will slide off of the black connector.

In the above picture, you can see that the Aux wiring is a separate wire bundle from the rest of the car. It contains a lime green wire, a gray wire, and a yellow wire. We will be moving the yellow and gray wires.

Using the smallest straight screwdriver you have (I used a 1.4mm driver), push down on the barb of the gray wire and push it toward the rear of the connector. After you reach a ceratin point, you can then gently pull the wire out from the connector.

If you look at the top of the black connector, you can see that each wire position is numbered, 1-6 on the top and this continues on to the bottom from 7-12.

You will swap the gray wire to pin 7 and the yellow wire to pin 1.

Re-assemble the black connector into the blue connector and then re-assemble the blue connector into the larger connector housing that connects to the radio.
In regards to cars that came with the Aux input... My Passat has that same Aux hook up and I just upgraded the radio to an RCD 510. Do you know if the RCD 510 and RNS 510 use the same pin assignments for this? I also installed an MDI iPod unit and the RCD 510 doesn't seem to recognize it or let me recode it. iPod connects though which is the odd part.
Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 FS
I
Ø6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0
FSI DSG 3-Türen
Ø2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8
T
quailallstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:43   #47
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

The RCD-510 and RNS-510 have the same pinouts. If you hooked the MDI up to the CAN bus, you should at least see the option for it on the RCD. The AUX wiring is for audio alone.

Can you speak to the MDI with the VCDS? Did you recode module 19 - CAN Gateway to tell it you have the MDI (I think it's called digital music player..)
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:31   #48
qtj

Hi I have a 2011 VW Jetta TDI and have recently swapped my rns-315 to a rns-510. It was all a plug and play operation. Why I did the switch was to get Video in Motion. So I had the Rns-510 unlocked with no can bus related type module. It works great with the DVD and all my factory modules are working properly. I wanted to go a step further and get Aux video into the Rns-510. So I ordered a multimedia interface VW RNS-E from T-era. Here is a link - http://www.t-era.co.uk/Pub/default.a...E_43&ID=201538 I connected the module up, it connects to power, GND, and Can bus High, and Can bus low. It works..., but only as a reverse camera and does not have the video avaliable on the screen in the media menu like it supposed to.

Here's what my question is, How can I add in VCDS on the Can Bus Gateway the tvdb tuner? In the instructions it states bad grammer and all-

"ATTENTION!!! Interface cooperates with firmaware about numbers 522 and 102x. Its is required activation TV in setups CAN- Gateway Too:
Tiguan, Golf5, Touran, EOS, Jetta -- Address 19- Byte 3- Bit 4.
Touareg (08), T5 (08)- Address 19- Byte 4- Bit 4.
Press <Media> Button, next <TV> if DVD disc was restored, or <Media>, next <Video>, Then <TV> if music was restored."

But it wont work for me because my Can Bus Gateway only has a long code of 102200 no byte 3 avaliable. Can anyone help me out on programming this and getting it working.

If I can't get the TVDB tuner on this CAN bus gateway could I possibly purchase another Can bus gateway, Downgrade firmware?, let's say from a 2010 Jetta would that work? Would I screw my car over? Are they so vehicle specific? Anyone have experience? Thanks in advance for the help!

Here's my Gateway Info -

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: 6N0-909-901-6R.clb
Part No SW: 6N0 909 901 HW: 5C0 937 087 A
Component: GW-K-CAN TP20 0226
Coding: 100200
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: F0E55F619A25

1 Fault Found:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 5751 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2002.14.20
Time: 19:04:27
qtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:38   #49
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

The issue likely lies in that there are three or four different versions of the RNS-510 unit. One for North America, one for Europe, and one for Asia, and possibly one for Australia, but I think they get the European unit.

Regardless, the EU and the North American versions all have different firmware loaded. It's possible that the North American firmware does not support this function.

If your CAN gateway supports long coding (which it should) then you should have a byte three - 10 02 00 (10 being byte one, 02 being byte 2 and 00 being byte 3). When you select long coding, you should see various check boxes. It might not be labeled TV Tuner, as in North America that's not an available option. (You might be able to tick the box though..)

Regardless, I've never seen a module not work if it's not enabled in the CAN Gateway. The CAN gateway will throw a fault if it sees a module it's not coded for, or if it doesn't see a module it is coded for but it generally works regardless.

My bet is on the firmware differences between EU and NA units. The firmware is not compatible between EU and NA units either. Completely different feature sets, frequencies for radio reception, DVB vs. IBOC, etc..
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 15:45   #50
qtj

Thanks for the response. That all makes sense. I think what im going to try is get a canbus and try it out. Just another waste of cash but we will see.
qtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 17:32   #51
ZeroCool
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 VW TDI

I am going to replace the plastic around the center console in your photos.

The guy before me had gummy stucked-on stuff, and it just doesn't look nice.

I have climatic... I notice that the piece in the middle seems to just be plastic.... i started lifting it up, but I assume I just have to give it a little bit of a tug to get the screw, so I can get to the rest to remove?
ZeroCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 16:29   #52
emdeeaitch
Veteran Member

Default Koolertron units

Has anyone here tried or know about the Koolertron brand units which describe themselves as an "OEM style" clone version of the RNS 510. Is it decent quality or possible the same exact vendor VW is buying from? Does it install the same?

Thanks for any info.
2009 Jetta TDI 6M Reflex Silver (Replacement Vehicle on 7/1/2009, sold 10/27/11), 2009 Jetta TDI 6M Reflex Silver (Lemon! Turbo failure on 5/7/2009), 2006.5 Jetta TDI Pkg1 5M 17s Reflex Silver (sold 5/6/2009), 2005 Jetta TDI GLS Leather 5M Reflex Silver (collision, sold 2006), 2003 Jetta GLI VR6 6M Platinum Grey (sold 2004), 1996 Jetta GLX VR6 5M Candy White (sold 2003)
emdeeaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 16:43   #53
hawleywood1028

Fuel Economy: 50+ on the 98 TBD on the 06

Just got a clean 2006 package 1 car can I upgrade to the RNS-510 with the MFD+ in dash and new steering wheel with controls.
or is it out of the realm of cost effective
hawleywood1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:59   #54
gothicreader

Fuel Economy: City 43MPG HWY 45-46MPG

Hello -
I need some advice; VW under warranty had to replace my RNS 510 due to the DVD portion not working and I was unable to upgrade the navigation map.

I have a 2009 TDI Jetta.

I noticed with this new RNS 510 I have a phone button versus the mute button. My car is equip with factory bluetooth.

How do I get into the secret menu to get the version info and firmware of the unit?
Also, I'd like to use the voice command that includes the dialing pad via my RNS 510 - is this possible? Or do I need to buy an upgraded bluetooth unit?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
gothicreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 14:27   #55
emdmijo

Default Please help!!!!!

recently I purchased a RNS-510 i installed it, not that it was much of an install jus plug n play type of deal, but when i connected it i punched in the code and it turned ON fine but there was no sound???? the GPS is working everything comes on fine jus no SOUNDno hissing no nothing. Is there something i need to do to get this thing to work like press a few buttons or something??? Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.... THANKS in ADVANCE....
p.s. i have a jetta tdi 2012
emdmijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:13   #56
williamgd2
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 50 mpg at 65mph with no a/c

Jryanvt I did the install on my 2010 Jetta and you don't need the sirius extension cable. The install is just as listed in this post except I had to do a mod to get my bluetooth to work properly. The mod was a new wire harness from the rns510 to the Bluetooth module under the passenger seat Ebay around $100 . You might not have to do that.
williamgd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 23:54   #57
stinnett25

TDI(s): 2012 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdmijo View Post
recently I purchased a RNS-510 i installed it, not that it was much of an install jus plug n play type of deal, but when i connected it i punched in the code and it turned ON fine but there was no sound???? the GPS is working everything comes on fine jus no SOUNDno hissing no nothing. Is there something i need to do to get this thing to work like press a few buttons or something??? Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.... THANKS in ADVANCE....
p.s. i have a jetta tdi 2012
I don't have any answers for you but I also have a 2012 and I'm wanting the unit with NAV. I've already got the double din unit in my car just didn't get the NAV. I've got Sirius and iPhone connection along with blue tooth. Not sure what the model is on the unit. I am definatily wanting the factory NAV put in. Just not sure what all intails on getting it to work. Will there be some code problems if I were to swap mine out with a NAV unit? Should I already have the antenna for NAV or would I need to install one?
Old August 27th, 2013, 11:56   #58
rwehuman
on banned subject probation

Is the process reversed for removing the RNS-510? I hate mine and would gladly sell it.
rwehuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:04   #59
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwehuman View Post
Is the process reversed for removing the RNS-510? I hate mine and would gladly sell it.
The physical process for removing (or replacing) the radio in any Mk5 is exactly the same. However, what the coding needs to be changed to depends entirely on what you intend to replace your RNS-510 with.

Have Fun!

Don
Old August 27th, 2013, 13:31   #60
rwehuman
on banned subject probation

I should note that I'll be doing this on my 2012 TDI Jetta and my girl's 2013 TDI Jetta . . . . . . .*pauses for the crowd to say "awwwwww matching Jettas". . . . Ideally I'll be putting in my Kenwood KVT-512 or the newer model of it. Thank you very much and great thread.
rwehuman is offline   Reply With Quote