www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old November 2nd, 2009, 16:43   #16
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Forgot you had a '10 when I PM'ed you. You don't need an extension cable. The install should be fairly easy
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:28   #17
crsimpson

I'd like to switch my factory radio in my 09 jetta to the rns-510 and id like to add the blue tooth as well. can anyone tell me the part number for the radio and any additional parts i'd need
crsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 21:44   #18
TXRanger83
Veteran Member

does anybody know where the compass is on the 2010 sedan, i read on vortex that its in the roof in the middle of the car is this correct? Also is this still a necessary step on the 2010s...and just a quick question about maps, how do you update them is it via DVD or is it another way?

Last edited by TXRanger83; March 9th, 2010 at 16:33.
TXRanger83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 14:41   #19
Blue'10JettaTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRanger83
does anybody know where the compass is on the 2010 sedan, i read on vortex that its in the roof in the middle of the car is this correct? Also is this still a necessary step on the 2010s...and just a quick question about maps, how do you update them is it via DVD or is it another way?
When I installed my RNS510 the compass module was in the exact place the OP suggested (the headliner of the trunk). On my 2010 there was only the compass module with one connector that I removed. For those who asked (jryanvt) I have installed the RNS510 on a 2010 Jetta TDI sedan using the coding provided by the OP and Ironman24 (I used 0010477 for the phone not 0010377) and insured that when programming the navigation system I used a workshop code, importer number, and equipment number that didn't contain zeros (e.g. 12345, 123, 12345 respectively) so that it didn't throw fault code 01042. I bought mine from steveZ1 (euronavsolutions) on vortex if anyone wants to know.
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:34   #20
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Does anyone know how to get the day/night button to work. When I press it nothing happens. I was told that it had to be enabled, but I can't seem to find out where to enable it.
BarryT82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 19:37   #21
Blue'10JettaTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT82
Does anyone know how to get the day/night button to work. When I press it nothing happens. I was told that it had to be enabled, but I can't seem to find out where to enable it.
Mine works using the coding provided in the first posts of this thread. I have a C model with HW06 and SW1000. (the day/night button only effects the map view)
Old April 21st, 2010, 23:21   #22
TXRanger83
Veteran Member

I just installed this today, and for some reason I lost my AUX and I dont have turn by turn show up on my MFD. I have a 2010 so I skipped the pin swapping which I was told was unnecessary on 2010's, but other then that exactly followed the DIY? Any ideas on how I can enable these two features. Also when I hit the phone button nothing happens other then just muting the audio, I had previously coded the bluetooth to allow for the phonebook, and caller ID

Last edited by TXRanger83; April 22nd, 2010 at 07:55.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:12   #23
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRanger83
I just installed this today, and for some reason I lost my AUX and I dont have turn by turn show up on my MFD. I have a 2010 so I skipped the pin swapping which I was told was unnecessary on 2010's, but other then that exactly followed the DIY? Any ideas on how I can enable these two features. Also when I hit the phone button nothing happens other then just muting the audio, I had previously coded the bluetooth to allow for the phonebook, and caller ID
Does anything at all from the radio / navi show up on the MFD? If not, you need to check two things. First check the long coding of the radio module (37) and see if the checkbox for Enable Bandwidth Allocation Protocol (BAP) is ticked. On cars with the white MFD this must be on. You need to also check to ensure that you disconnected the compass module. The compass module can cause excessive traffic on the CAN bus that can cause the navi unit not to be able to communicate with the instrument cluster.

With regard to aux in, did you enter the setup menu and enable aux in? If the aux item under "Media" is grayed out, this is likely the case. If the aux in is enabled and you just don't get sound, I'd check your connections in the back of the radio and try again. Though there's really no way for them not to be connected properly..

Finally, with regard to BT.. You need to recode your BT module to support display on the RNS. On my '09 I needed to change the third digit of soft coding from "0" to "1". The coding then read "0010377". Depending on the revision of BT module you have, the entire soft coding string may be different, however I think just changing that third digit from 0 to 1 might be the ticket. Just write down your old soft coding, you really can't screw this beyond reapir. If it doesn't work, just code back to what it was.

You will need to reset the RNS after you change the display protocol, and you MAY need to reset it after you change the telephone module coding. Hold "<" ">" and the day/night button adjacent to the DVD slot to reset the RNS.

Last edited by dzcad90; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:17.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 13:41   #24
TXRanger83
Veteran Member

everything is now fully functional, I didnt have the BAP box clicked, forgot to enable AUX within the radio settings, then just chaged the 3rd digit to a 1...thanks for the help
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:57   #25
Trepex
Veteran Member

Hey there, I posted in another thread about this, but it seems a lot more sensible to simply ask here, where my questions are on-topic.

I'm planning to upgrade my 9W2 to the 9W3, and replace my RCD-510 with an RNS-510, on my 2010 Golf Wagon. With that in mind, I'd love it if someone could provide any direction for the trim and dash disassembly in the Wagon, along with directions as to where I might find the connectors for the compass and satellite receiver (this is my Sirius receiver which I won't need after putting in the RNS, right?)

TIA for all the great info in this thread!
Trepex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:37   #26
Trepex
Veteran Member

Following some advice that I found in a thread over at VWNavi, I went hunting for the compass module behind my passenger-side tail light, where it is apparently tucked-away on the Golf 4-doors. Can't seem to find it there. Where oh where is it hidden on the wagon!?! :P
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:57   #27
09Jetta

TDI(s): 09 Jetta

Any idea on the coding and plug and play install for Skoda install on 09 Jetta with Red highline display, mfsw, and premium 7 stereo (no RNS)? Holding off on install till I get this figured out.
I was told BT unit came precoded for my car and was told the code for my car was 000444 but dont have a clue where this needs to be inputed.
Can I just go to dealer and have them code? Will they even know what they are doing? Seller made very clear to not change code on BT!

Need help!! BT awaits!!

THanks
Greg
09Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:15   #28
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex
Following some advice that I found in a thread over at VWNavi, I went hunting for the compass module behind my passenger-side tail light, where it is apparently tucked-away on the Golf 4-doors. Can't seem to find it there. Where oh where is it hidden on the wagon!?! :P
It's in the headliner above the driver rear door IIRC. You need to partially pull the headliner down to access the module.

As installation goes, the trim should be fairly similar. It's been redesigned, but the basic design is similar. Otherwise, scope out VWVortex Golf VI section, I'm sure someone has a DIY for this.

Old May 12th, 2010, 12:15   #29
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Jetta
Any idea on the coding and plug and play install for Skoda install on 09 Jetta with Red highline display, mfsw, and premium 7 stereo (no RNS)? Holding off on install till I get this figured out.
I was told BT unit came precoded for my car and was told the code for my car was 000444 but dont have a clue where this needs to be inputed.
Can I just go to dealer and have them code? Will they even know what they are doing? Seller made very clear to not change code on BT!

Need help!! BT awaits!!

THanks
Greg
What is the part number of the module you received?

Old May 12th, 2010, 13:12   #30
Trepex
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzcad90
It's in the headliner above the driver rear door IIRC. You need to partially pull the headliner down to access the module.

As installation goes, the trim should be fairly similar. It's been redesigned, but the basic design is similar. Otherwise, scope out VWVortex Golf VI section, I'm sure someone has a DIY for this.
Sorry, just to be clear, do you mean the left rear passenger door? The forums at vwvortex are finally up for searching again and I found a thread suggesting that it might be in the headliner at the rear hatch, slightly to the left of the shark fin radio antenna. Not sure whether you're maybe suggesting the same thing?

I'm going to have at it tonight. At least pulling down the trim at the rear hatch will let me see if it's there, then I may have to figure out how to remove the C-pillar in order to get enough give in the headliner to reach in and unplug...