www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old September 14th, 2009, 07:10   #1
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG
Default How-To: Hammer Mod w/Pics & Cake!

First I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder. I did NOT come up with this. I simply performed it twice myself so I took pictures this time and figured I'd share the information I gathered with everyone. Pictures help me with mods, so hopefully they can help you.

First steps before you get started...

Tools
Hammer, Mallet...whichever
T30 Torx Bit 3/8 Drive is best
3" Extension
Obviously the wrench
Sharpie or other marker
VCDS a MUST.

Step one; Ensure via VCDS that your IQ isn't adjusted software wise. If it is reset it back to the 'stock' value.
To check this; connect VCDS to your running car and head into the engine controller. Click the 'Login' button and enter '12233'. Then hit the 'Adaptation' Button. Enter channel '01'. Now you can actually see your IQ and it's value. If it says '32768 then it's fine to procede. If it's a different value set it back to '32768' click 'test' then click 'save'.

Step two; Warm up the car, take 'er for a spin you want your IQ to be where it's normally at when you are all warmed up. This is important.

Step three; Remove your engine cover, if you have one. Find your Injector Pump. Then locate the three T3 bolts we will be dealing with.

Step four; Take your Sharpie and mark a line on each bolt so you know how far you've turned it. Trust me this is a good idea. Then mark where your pump is currently sitting.

Step five; Take your T30 bit and start working off the bolts. You only need 1/2 turn, that's 180 Degrees. They are PLENTY loose by this time. So no further!

Step six; Take your hammer, mallet, block of cheese or whatever you got and strike the top portion of the pump. Don't wack the crap out of it, it's not a nail. You aren't building a deck! Simply watch the mark you made of the position to see how far it moves. Once it starts to move, one or two wacks. STOP tighten the bolts back to their position and check your IQ via VCDS again. You want to get it around ~3-5.

Step seven; If required repeat. Just remember don't beat the living hell out of it. It took me two wacks to get it moving. One to free it one to move it. It moved literally a hair's width. Brought my IQ from 0.8 to 4.2!

Comments, suggestions and pokes are welcome. Oh and the cake was a lie. Portal fans will get that.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.

Last edited by NB_TDi; September 19th, 2009 at 07:28.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:15   #2
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

if you are good you can have the car running with VCDS displaying the IQ reading while you whack it. (not hard!) that takes the guesswork out of it

if you loosen the bolt too much, it squirts you with fuel... tighten it a little.

altho pay attention as you tighten the bolts, the IQ value may change...

it would also be a good idea to get the special bit from metalnerd to loosen the 4th bolt, makes the job much easier.

Good How to BTW
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:18   #3
NB_TDi

Great information Aaron. I was tempted to do it this time with the engine running, but with my luck I'd spray fuel everywhere. I'd imagine it would be easier since you could hear the change too.

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Old September 18th, 2009, 15:49   #4
scidav87
Veteran Member

It worked!! Cars runs smooth as butter now! This should be a sticky!
Have VAG COM. Contact me if you need any suspension or brake work done A.S.E. certified in brakes and S&S. 2001 Jetta TDI, 5-Speed, 17/22 turbo, VWMIKEL tuned, egr and maf delete, straight exhaust, PP764 nozzles. 2000 SS Camaro, TH400, Twin turbo 408 stroker, 3820lbs, 1/4 mile in 9.81 at 138 MPH leaving at half throttle for traction issues
scidav87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 17:40   #5
T_D_I_POWER
Veteran Member

I don't own a TDI with VE-IP. Can you tell me what's the purpose of this mods? The reason I ask is that I'm in the market of replacing my '95 Passat VR6 with either an '03 Golf GLS TDI 5-spd or an '04 Jetta Sport TDI-PD 5-spd

1st TO USE Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...56&postcount=9
1st TO PREFILL OFH/OFI INSTL W/ OIL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=5
1st TO PREFIL FF W/ DIESEL FUEL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=14

Last edited by T_D_I_POWER; September 18th, 2009 at 17:50.
T_D_I_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 18:05   #6
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

Quote:
Step one; Ensure via VCDS that your IQ isn't adjusted software wise. If it is reset it back.
How about an edit to clarify these:
What's the VCDS data field that should be looked at and what would be limits on the values in it?
What is a "normal" value and what is the value of one that is "adjusted software wise"?

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 18:18   #7
Havokk
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 46-54, better if i were to clean the garbage out of my passanger seat, must be 60lbs of garbage there. who the hell has time for that crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_TDi
the cake was a lie.

Havokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:29   #8
NB_TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
What's the VCDS data field that should be looked at and what would be limits on the values in it?
What is a "normal" value and what is the value of one that is "adjusted software wise"?
Done.

I'd love for this to be a sticky. It's hard to find the information required for this all in one thread. Hopefully I did that. Mmmm this cake is good.

Old September 19th, 2009, 14:45   #9
Matthew_S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-46

Here's a picture I made a while back that consolidates most of the procedure.

Matthew_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 16:54   #10
chittychittybangbang
Veteran Member

Good writeup! Here are some my notes with some VCDS screenshots too. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_h...thammermod.htm

whoops, you're right I'll change it now.

Last edited by chittychittybangbang; September 19th, 2009 at 17:33.
chittychittybangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 17:05   #11
NB_TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittychittybangbang
Good writeup! Here are some my notes with some VCDS screenshots too. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_h...thammermod.htm
I like your write up too, although you put the bit as T20, it's actually T30.

Old September 25th, 2009, 18:50   #12
honda_vtec2
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5L-5.2L/100km 70%city/25%hwy/5%driveway

Nice write-up/consolidation NB.
Old September 26th, 2009, 15:50   #13
jrip
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.5/41/39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
I hate to seem like the dummy, but I don't think I saw an answer to this question. Did I miss something??
2000 Jetta, 5-spd, Panzer Plate, 5 brake light mod, rear fog light mod, euro-switch, stupid door switch mod, 2007 Sebring antenna, Frost heater, coolant migration mod, EGR Delete, EGR Cooler delete, chip mod.
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:49   #14
T_D_I_POWER
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_S
Here's a picture I made a while back that consolidates most of the procedure.

Thanks got it. Btw how did you attach the text & arrow symbols?

1st TO USE Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...56&postcount=9
1st TO PREFILL OFH/OFI INSTL W/ OIL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=5
1st TO PREFIL FF W/ DIESEL FUEL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=14

T_D_I_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:09   #15
Matthew_S
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_D_I_POWER
Thanks got it. Btw how did you attach the text & arrow symbols?
MS Picture It Digital Image Pro, IIRC. I'm sure you could do it with any photo editing software.
Matthew_S is offline   Reply With Quote