www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2009

TDIFest 2009 Discussion about TDIFest 2009 coming to Washington, DC (Dulles)on the Labour Day weekend (September 4-6th, 2009) .

Old September 11th, 2009, 10:37   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

But enough of my senseless ranting about VOA's shortcomings, I second the idea of a tint person. The Dent Wizard guy was a big hit.
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:24   #17
Lex4TDI4Life
Veteran Member

The real question is: Who has started to put proposals together for next year?
RC2, Bosch T4-764 injectors, OMI, SBC Stg 2 Clutch, Koni FSDs, TT LCA Bushings, The Mystery Bar, Dieselgeek Panzer Plate, Elephant Hose, DG Race Pipe, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, Boostvalve,Fumoto Valve, Mufflerectomy, Scangauge II
Lex4TDI4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:53   #18
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex4TDI4Life
The real question is: Who has started to put proposals together for next year?
There was some talk about Kansas City, not sure if anything became of that yet.
Old September 11th, 2009, 13:06   #19
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Tint Guy:
I tried to get a tint person to the 2008 Fest. No tint guy is going to tint a car outside in the wind and dust and then have dissatisfied customers complaining about bubbles in their tint and wanting it redone for free.

VWoA:
Volkswagen is stepping up their participation every year... first, we got an engineer and a commonrail TDI in Montreal... last year, we got 3 2009s as test drivers... this year, we got several cars to look at, climb around in, and play with, including a race car (the second was supplied by hyperfuels), a race car driver, and two cars that are one-of-a-kind in the USA right now. If you keep supporting the VWoA/TDIClub relationship, it will grow. If you complain about it and essentially say "they never do enough for us," they will get put off and reduce their participation. VWoA also donated 200 bandanas and 200 goodie bags this year, as well as some items for the auction and raffle.

Local Dealers:
The local dealers are key... this was our first year really trying to reach out to them for participation. We were a bit hesitant this year, because we didn't know what VWoA's reaction was going to be until about two weeks before fest (leaving us with very little time to contact local dealers). By the time we did contact them, some of them had already made other commitments. Remember that TDIFest wasn't the only thing going on around here on Labor Day Weekend. In the future, knowing what we know now, we can contact the local dealers well in advance to ensure some sort of participation.

Silent Auction:
I'm all about doing a silent auction in addition to the regular auction. We had so many donations this year that the raffle took a long time, and the auction did, too... if we could have taken a few of those items and put them into a silent auction, everything could have run a bit smoother, and there would have been one more activity for people to participate in.

Next Year?
Contrary to what the past would dictate, I'm ready to go again. Stay tuned...

Also, thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas. I like getting feedback on what worked, what didn't, and what can be improved on.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 13:42   #20
oilhammer

Yeah, good point about the window tint thing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI
... this year, we got several cars to look at, climb around in, and play with, rub your weiner on.....
Old September 11th, 2009, 14:30   #21
Jetter_Sprinta
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: Better than a Prius ;-)

I have always thought I would like to see a photo gallery. There are many events across the land where many people take pictures. My excuse is it's a bit of a pain to post them all on the site, so I'd like to see an easy way to load them up and let them roll throughout the Fest.

I even think a "juried" photo show of some of the choicest photos on display--like real art--in the registration room area.
Old September 11th, 2009, 20:21   #22
SnowWife
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf
That was discussed briefly this year, having things at different times. One other suggestion is doing a 'silent' auction with some of the auction items that opens with registration.

All good stuff, keep the suggestions coming, the sooner this stuff is brought up the more time there is to 'plan' for it.
So of you know already, but I like the idea of both a silent auction ending on Saturday night or Sunday morning as well as the Sunday night auction. I think it would be great for people who have to leave early to be able to bud on stuff. We can offer to ship items (depending on size for a fee). Plus if the winner can't be reached we can work our way down the list.
Old September 11th, 2009, 20:31   #23
canast
Veteran Member

Default Thoughts and suggestions

I have only been to 3 fests so far.
This idea of putting ideas up ahead is a great one.

If a fest was ever in the area with one nearby, having a Movie night at an actual Drive in theatre.
Has anyone seen these blowup outdoor movie screens are they any good?

Have a meet at a Drive-in restraunt for lunch, dinner or late evening snack.(Lake Mills had something like that for the meet and greet.)

Has anyone ever done a scavenger hunt, but maybe instead of collecting items, you get pictures of situations or items. We ran into a group of gals who were doing one in DC on bicycles.

Couple of ideas from family reunions I have been to are Bean bag toss(aka Cornhole) or a Wii Tournament.

Keep the ideas coming.
Old September 11th, 2009, 21:07   #24
tomo366
TDI Lifer

ROTFLMFAO..............No prob draping over a CUP Car in a thong!!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 22:13   #25
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28mpg@74mph: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

from the show & shine thread: here's an idea to amplify the fun and participation of the show & shine.

give all show&shine participants a 2010 TDI Fest Commemorative PINT GLASS

that'd get the participant numbers up and get more people in on the fun!

charge $5 to enter the Show & Shine (more than break even on the cost of the pint glasses) and charge $15 for the pint glasses to anyone else that wants one - as a fundraiser for TDIclub.

also, you could give a 2010 TDI Fest Commemorative Pint Glass to everyone that registers for the banquet. build the cost of the pint glass (~$4) into the price and more people would come to it too. show&shine + banquet participants would get 2! ... sweet
Old September 12th, 2009, 05:50   #26
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

A Wii tournament would be pretty cool... we set up a LAN in my room at the 2008 Fest and had a bunch of people playing TrackMania.

Old September 12th, 2009, 06:14   #27
oilhammer

What about a 'highest mileage' award, based on how many numbers your odometer is showing? Some of these cars are getting some pretty impressive numbers. Also maybe the 'oldest' car?
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:42   #28
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer
What about a 'highest mileage' award, based on how many numbers your odometer is showing? Some of these cars are getting some pretty impressive numbers. Also maybe the 'oldest' car?
Wouldn't you have to excuse the Floridians then? My bad, theirs are all turned back .
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:16   #29
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I like the high mileage award. I think I would have won that this year... I didn't see anyone else with over 420,000 miles.

Old September 12th, 2009, 19:56   #30
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

I can't go with "how many numbers are showing" on the odometer. Mine reset to zero at 300,000 miles. I'm >< close to finally getting the "1" in the 10,000 column filled (I have 309,770 miles). But a high mileage contest is cool. I doubt I'd ever win it, though. There are a lot of TDIs driven more than mine!
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote