www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old September 8th, 2009, 13:56   #1
CrazyQuantumMan
Veteran Member

Default Import an Engine from the UK? Possible?

I've been perusing the ebay UK site and 1.9TDI's are going for $600US or less. Seems to me I could fly to the UK, purchase an engine complete, and ship it back for a total cost of less than buying one locally! I'm doing a TDI into-an-older-VW project and cannot justify spending 3k+ on an engine with harness, etc. If there are any UK folks in this forum that want to make a little extra money you should contact me and ship me an engine!!!!
CrazyQuantumMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 17:34   #2
G60ING
Veteran Member

You need to start searching Craigslist with www.craigshelper.com You will be the headache of importing an engine and probably save a lot of money. This is how I have found all of my donors
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:34   #3
Spulen81
Veteran Member

My friend in Ireland just bought a nice '95 B4V TDI for 100 euro, they are cheap over there. There are deals here too but you have to really look hard and be ready to pounce on a good one.
-2011 Golf TDI
Spulen81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 13:58   #4
CrazyQuantumMan
Veteran Member

I use Crazedlist for all my CL searching, thank you very much.. I got a yard in the UK giving whole engines for 450 sterling. Hmm. I'll look at Ireland, it is my native land.
Old September 9th, 2009, 14:24   #5
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

There are guys over there that will do your shipping for a few. I have done that. And by the way...any plans on making more of those awesome trailers?

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 20:45   #6
CrazyQuantumMan
Veteran Member

Yes on the trailers! I am designing a much smaller version similar to a teardrop. My campers should be tow-able with any TDI car provided you have due diligence in monitoring EGT's etc. Anyway, you actually inspired my Fox project. I sold the Syncro and am actively looking for a Fox wagon in good shape. I did find one that looks NEW for way too much cash but hey, it may be the only one in existence! I contacted UPS about shipping from the UK and haven't heard back..yet. This is going to be fun! I like learning new things, especially VW things!!!!

Here's the Fox in question. 122k miles, and flawless inside and out.

www.ihavecrabs.com

Last edited by CrazyQuantumMan; September 9th, 2009 at 21:17.
Old September 9th, 2009, 21:29   #7
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
w/Business number

Nice!! I am still looking for one. Every time I find a nice one...its in Oregon or Washington...and occasionally the Bay....figures!! Also, talk to Peter at TDIPARTS. He can give you some pointers on international shipping. He has done some for me already, so he knows the rules and some of the pricing.

Here is one.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/1358436495.html

And another
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1366251803.html

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

Last edited by mrchill; September 9th, 2009 at 21:38.
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:41   #8
CrazyQuantumMan
Veteran Member

I'm itching to get this thing going. I just found a '99 Audi A4 1.9TDI that is being "broken" in the UK.
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:43   #9
Aidan
Veteran Member

TDi's are everywhere here, very little of those will be on ebay, try breakerlink.co.uk or partsgateway.co.uk also.

Suggest to the seller to use wedelivertheworld.com for delivery to US, or it can be sent from mine
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:57   #10
Scott_DeWitt

Keep in mind importing an engine is not a trivial matter. Several listers have had their engines seized by customs because of improper declaration. The only permanent legal way to import a complete engine is to have a certificate of conformity from the EPA, of which no European coded engine will have.

Also shipping ain't cheap. You will find that the 600 dollar engines quickly become 1,500 engines, if they get past customs.
Old September 10th, 2009, 13:32   #11
CrazyQuantumMan
Veteran Member

The following is from the EPA site regarding importation of engines. I do realize installing a non-certified engine into a certified vehicle constitutes some form of illegality. The engines I'm interested in are US versions with the same engine codes commonly available here. If I could get a TDI engine for $1500 I would be giddy!!!! If it costs $1k to ship I'm still coming out way ahead! Getting through customs should be easy with the correct declaration:

"B. (2) Engine not in Vehicle or Chassis

EPA regulates the entire vehicle, not individual parts, for cars, light trucks, and motorcycles. If an engine is not installed, and is to be used in a car, motorcycle, or light truck, it may be imported as an automotive part. No approval or Customs bond is required by EPA. Importers should be aware, however, that replacement of an engine in a U.S. version vehicle with an engine of a different type or model year which is not currently covered by an EPA certificate or will be covered by an EPA certificate prior to introduction into commerce may violateEPA regulations.

To import an engine for use in a car, light truck or motorcycle, the importer must file with U.S. Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 and declare code "W" on that form.

For a "heavy" vehicle or "heavy" truck, EPA regulates the engine, whether or not it is installed. EPA considers a vehicle or truck as "heavy" if it has a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 8,500 pounds, or a curb weight of more than 6,000 pounds. To be imported, such an engine must be either excluded, exempted, covered by an EPA certificate of conformity, or imported by an independent commercial importer."
Old September 10th, 2009, 14:27   #12
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyQuantumMan
The following is from the EPA site regarding importation of engines. I do realize installing a non-certified engine into a certified vehicle constitutes some form of illegality. The engines I'm interested in are US versions with the same engine codes commonly available here. If I could get a TDI engine for $1500 I would be giddy!!!! If it costs $1k to ship I'm still coming out way ahead! Getting through customs should be easy with the correct declaration:

"B. (2) Engine not in Vehicle or Chassis

EPA regulates the entire vehicle, not individual parts, for cars, light trucks, and motorcycles. If an engine is not installed, and is to be used in a car, motorcycle, or light truck, it may be imported as an automotive part. No approval or Customs bond is required by EPA. Importers should be aware, however, that replacement of an engine in a U.S. version vehicle with an engine of a different type or model year which is not currently covered by an EPA certificate or will be covered by an EPA certificate prior to introduction into commerce may violateEPA regulations.

To import an engine for use in a car, light truck or motorcycle, the importer must file with U.S. Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 and declare code "W" on that form.

For a "heavy" vehicle or "heavy" truck, EPA regulates the engine, whether or not it is installed. EPA considers a vehicle or truck as "heavy" if it has a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 8,500 pounds, or a curb weight of more than 6,000 pounds. To be imported, such an engine must be either excluded, exempted, covered by an EPA certificate of conformity, or imported by an independent commercial importer."
If you read the EPA 3520-1 form you will find:

code W - non-chassis-mounted engine to be used in a light-duty vehicle or light-duty truck or motorcycle which is currently covered by an EPA certificate or will be covered by an EPA certificate prior to introduction into commerce.

If customs asks for a copy of the certificate (which they do) kiss your engine goodbye. OEMs will not even talk to you about a certificate of conformity unless you own the vehicle and engine in question and can prove you own it.

This topic has been discussed at great length on these forums, and several members have had engines seized, but feel free to roll the dice yourself.

It's been my experience that the savings becomes rather minimal if you factor in the risks, like the engine seller taking your money and not delivering, or the seller not packaging the engine properly for shipment (this has happened to me alot), the risks go on an on. I've done this for more than 4 years and can write volumes on all the crap I've had to deal with.

Your better off finding a $2500 tdi engine domestically.
Old September 10th, 2009, 15:47   #13
CrazyQuantumMan
Veteran Member

I'm confused. Why does the EPA form put "Code W" under the "Excluded Vehicles" portion of the form? As stated, they do not require any certifications whatsoever nor can they legally ask for one. If you've had problems in the past why have you not shown them their own regulations and what it says on their own form? "No approval or Customs bond is required by EPA." That means the EPA can kiss my cold cheeks. Correct me if I'm wrong on this because as noted, I have not imported an engine before. But, I deal with legal issues for a living so this is nothing new for me. I'm curious about those folks who had their engines "seized" by customs and the circumstances behind the seizures. Were they smuggling coke in the oilpans?
Old September 10th, 2009, 16:34   #14
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
w/Business number

Perhaps Mr Dewitt will give you some pointers as he does this for a living. He has a lot of non conforming engines...so clearly there is a way to get a conforming one in. I say just ask him. As far as engines here...I can often find them cheap...depends on what you need...I suspect you need a full swap.

Old September 10th, 2009, 17:03   #15
G60ING
Veteran Member

No offense but why should he give pointers? You are trying to do what he make a living doing. He has probably learned the hardway once or twice and that is the price of admission to this job field.
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote