www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2009

TDIFest 2009 Discussion about TDIFest 2009 coming to Washington, DC (Dulles)on the Labour Day weekend (September 4-6th, 2009) .

Closed Thread

Old September 9th, 2009, 20:17   #31
petea4
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '01 Golf GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCub
I actually think the mods reduce your points. I removed the ashtray in my wagon because it's where I chose to route my usb input cable through, plus I removed my broken cupholder and never replaced it. I think those things hurt me in last year's Show and Shine.
That's what i meant. The 2 that won, (1st Place - GTDI4/2nd Place - Hamsterdiesel) appeared pretty stock in looks, and super clean. The golf that placed first, needs a serious drop, way too much 4x4 going on there. Both cars were spotless! GTDI4 didn't miss a square inch of his ride. That car looked like it was dipped in Armour All!

In my opinion, the 20th/337'd silver 2dr was badass!

My car was not as detailed compared to them, and looked tired due to the 289,000 i've racked up on it. Some paint wouldn't hurt either.

Pete
'01 Golf TDI GLS
'72 Super - '52 Split - '65 Bus 21w deluxe

Last edited by petea4; September 9th, 2009 at 20:20.
Old September 9th, 2009, 22:55   #32
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Personally, I'd like to see a judging category for uniqueness and tastefulness of modifications. That 20th/337 GTD (as I'm calling it) was superb.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:56   #33
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

With the low number of entries at the fests, either the grouping continues to be by chassis (with stock, mod, and radical models grouped together), or there are three classes and all models are pigeon-holed into one of these:

"Stock": as the car left (of should have left) the dealership. No accessories except those available from the dealer in the year the car was built. Start with 100 points and deductions are taken for deviations from this definition of factory stock. The Sprocket's grey B4V at this year's fest is a prime example. Judges should be the anal-retentives that worry if the tires are rotated so that the logos on the hub caps are aligned.
"Modified": as the car could have left the factory's concept or styling studio. Start with 50 points, add up to 50 for improvements, but deduct for detractions. Jettafock's A4 would fit this classification. Judges should be the artsy / fung-shui type.
"Radical": anything goes. Start with zero points and add up to 100. The Corrado TDI. Judges should be the freaks and un-inhibited.
Best in Show would be selected by another judge that would evaluate only the three class winners selected in the first round, or the People's Choice could continue.

My opinion is that such a stock-mod-rad classing should be considered, if for no other reason than to end the classes with just one or two cars entered.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; September 10th, 2009 at 07:09.
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:37   #34
G60ING
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI
Personally, I'd like to see a judging category for uniqueness and tastefulness of modifications. That 20th/337 GTD (as I'm calling it) was superb.
I agree 100% but I tell you I liked the Golf with the pickle caps for center caps on the steel wheels a LOT. It was the type of car I could see my friends build while at the same time my other friends would be building the 337 look alike.

As far as the classes go I'll leave that to the people that attend TDIFest more often then I do. Its your show and I'm just happy to have attended once. But I might suggest that you take a look at what similar size VW shows do. There is no sense in reinventing the wheel.

Last edited by G60ING; September 10th, 2009 at 08:59.
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:10   #35
tomo366
TDI Lifer

TDI Club is not VW Vortex.........
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:14   #36
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

I'm thinking Jonathan's probably on to something here - it may be time to rethink the classes.

Having classes with one or two vehicles does seem rather silly, but going purely to a stock/mod/rad setup might not work either - perhaps some hybrid of chassis and mod level?

I've shown my Jetta a grand total of two times - the '06 Fest and this year, and I thought it looked pretty good all shined up. Nevertheless, when I ticked the box to enter the show-and-shine, I had no illusions whatsoever that I'd win or even place (though I certainly hoped I might), so it was more of a "I'm going to be there anyway. Participating is, to me, part of the 'TDIFest Experience'(TM), so why not?" I put forth what for me was my best effort, but my "detailing experience" is pretty much limited to wiping the trunk drain channels and door edges clean, running the vacuum over the mats, and cleaning under the sunroof wind deflector.

That being said, when I looked at some of the other entries in my class I still felt a little inadequate. To put it a little less delicately, how many people took one look at JettaFock's or PeterV's cars and said to themselves, "there's no way on Earth I can compete with THAT, so why should I bother?"

How can we improve the show-and-shine so that we can get more folks to participate next time?
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:01   #37
G60ING
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik
How can we improve the show-and-shine so that we can get more folks to participate next time?
Free beer to those that show
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:37   #38
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60ING
I agree 100% but I tell you I liked the Golf with the pickle caps for center caps on the steel wheels a LOT. It was the type of car I could see my friends build while at the same time my other friends would be building the 337 look alike.

Coming from you, I will take that compliment. seeing the kind of cars you make, that just makes me feel better about my silliness with the picklecaps.

You gotta cover the ugly nut in the center of the wheel, right? might as well have fun with it.

Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:52   #39
G60ING
Veteran Member

I just want to know how you figured out what cap was the right size and did you put dirty caps that were the wrong size back in the fridge? My friend/passenger both liked that mod.
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:58   #40
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

they arent the perfect size, and need reduced in 4 places with a needlenose, but I have not lost one yet all summer.

actually spaghetti/smuckers jam jar lids fit as well but need the rolled lip inside flattened all the way around. I used two of these in the rear to space the pickle jar lids out enough to cover the factory dust cover since it sticks out past the steelie.
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:24   #41
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler
they arent the perfect size, and need reduced in 4 places with a needlenose, but I have not lost one yet all summer.

actually spaghetti/smuckers jam jar lids fit as well but need the rolled lip inside flattened all the way around. I used two of these in the rear to space the pickle jar lids out enough to cover the factory dust cover since it sticks out past the steelie.
Sounds like we need a how-to with pics.
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:03   #42
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60ING
Free beer to those that show
LoL...

First Place A4 Jetta (again!)

...and the 2nd Place A4 Golf (which beat this year's 1st Place Golf back in 2004...)

2004:

My guess is not enough Zaino this year (I got a late start... )

P.S. - I am a fan of the Pickle caps, too... ...nice color choice!
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:09   #43
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

Here you have 3 winners:

A4 Golf, 2nd Place
New Beetle, 1st Place
A4 Jetta, 1st Place
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:29   #44
G60ING
Veteran Member

I like the Borbet Type E wheels on the Golf. I bought a set for My Wife's Passat. If you sell yours let me know I wouldn't mine having your 16s for my Corrado.
Old September 10th, 2009, 13:45   #45
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

I meant extra points for mods... not a separate class... but an additional points category. Something in addition to Interior, Exterior, Under, Engine, Mileage.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
Closed Thread