www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2009

TDIFest 2009 Discussion about TDIFest 2009 coming to Washington, DC (Dulles)on the Labour Day weekend (September 4-6th, 2009) .

Old September 7th, 2009, 20:27   #16
xtrooper89

I had an awesome time. This was my first fest too. Does anyone have anymore pictures, other than the ones posted in the photo gallery? those posted are great though, just was hoping to see more.
Old September 7th, 2009, 21:13   #17
Sootman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30 +/- MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-98AHU
Very well done, guys! Anyone agree D.C. would make a great candidate for Fest's permanent home? That is, of course, if this year's organizers (who, did I mention, did a friggin awesome job?) are on board for more

Count me in for that...permanent spot, maybe one east one west. It would allow the club to grow. My $.02 worth
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/index.php
Dyno: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=352348
Sootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 22:18   #18
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Fuel Economy: 42, 27.6, 23 - Subaru #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sootman
Count me in for that...permanent spot, maybe one east one west. It would allow the club to grow. My $.02 worth
I dunno... I kinda like having it some place new every year. Gives us a chance to make it local to other members, meet new people, and visit new areas of our country.

Great Fest, folks! As always it's a great time. Met some new people, put faces to names and saw some old friends. I miss my "family" and it gets harder and harder to leave every time. Hotel was awesome! I finally got to see DC, after all those years of driving through it and living near it.

Thanks to the crew for working so hard to put together this event! Job well done.
Until next year, y'all!

Former mk4 jetta owner, turned Subaru mountain climber.
Zippy_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 22:52   #19
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

I would like to see the fest move around as it has always done. I would love to see one in the midwest again personally.
Old September 7th, 2009, 22:58   #20
petea4
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '01 Golf GLS

Thanks for organizing this. Had a good time. Nice to see some more modded TDI's.

I enjoyed the movie. Wasn't planning on sticking around for the whole thing(needed to wash the car), but ended up leaning on that wall for the better part of 2hrs. So out to the washbay afterwards to give her a bath just after midnight. Talked to alot of the Hyatt staff as they were heading home. They were surprised so many of us were from out of state. Then to the parking lot for some interior cleaning till 2:30am. Had a good chat with the parking lot security guard keeping a eye on our VW's. So in the morning, just some tire shine, glass, and paint rubdown.

Checked out the TDI Golf VWoA brought down. I like it. I suggested to the VW lady from head office, that the cream headliner has to go. It needs to be black, as it's loaded with all the goodies. She wrote it down with the comments from others. Said she'll take it back to the office......

Had a good chat with AJ the TDI cup driver. Thumbsup to Hyperfuels for bringing him and the TDI Cup cars out to the show!

After the raffle, i went to the Smithsonian Air and Space hanger down the road. That was awesome. Left there and did a small drive/walk tour of DC. Pentagon, Washington/Lincoln monuments, Whitehouse, and Capitol Hill. Pretty cool. Gotta say your roads around DC SUCK! Especially around Georgetown/National Cathedral. I hammered my skidplate everywhere!

Started the drive from Georgetown at 9:30pm and walked into my house in Toronto at 6:15am.

What a long day.........

Cellphone Pic:

Pete
'01 Golf TDI GLS
'72 Super - '52 Split - '65 Bus 21w deluxe

Last edited by petea4; September 7th, 2009 at 23:28.
petea4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 04:38   #21
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

A decade of fests all are unique, just as we are. Lawson & Chad crew a well done for you. All the effort did pay off.

Everyones generosity for auction & raffle donations helps keep this site the best.
PeterV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:46   #22
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Great fest! I thoroughly enjoyed it. And the award truly warms my heart and really makes everything I do worth while. Thanks so much to the planning committee, and to all the great members who attended.
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:51   #23
Grafiks

Default TDI Fest was Excellent

I really enjoyed my first TDI Fest. Met some great people and learned a lot about my cars. Thanks to all that purchased my t-shirts. This was kind-of a last minute idea but helped foot the bill for the weekend. Well, at least a small contribution since I came home with a pair of seats, clutch, injectors, tune by Jeff and the cam install by Jason. Several people offered new ideas for t-shirts that I plan to offer. Got to educate people as to how much better the TDI is than a Hybrid.
Special thanks to Lawson, Chad, Jason, Chill, Brian and all of the others that made the event great. Bruce and Aaron (Growler) really jumped in and got the guy with the breakdown back on the road. Hope to be at next years event, even if it is in Portland?
Bob

PS
I have a few t-shirts left if anyone is interested.
Grafiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:41   #24
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrooper89
I had an awesome time. This was my first fest too. Does anyone have anymore pictures, other than the ones posted in the photo gallery? those posted are great though, just was hoping to see more.
Give us time, man! Some of us just got home!
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:43   #25
Jetter_Sprinta
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: Better than a Prius ;-)

The bar has been raised! And I mean "bar" in both senses!

An all-round fantastic job by all involved. The location, the venue, the military precision with which all events came off (that still means really good, right??), and of course, the diesel heads who provide boundless entertainment. I could not help but tell the organizers throughout the event what an incredible job they did.

I was delighted (and nervous) to see three of the country's nicest B4Vs all lined up in competition. And thanks to the genius at Dent Wizard, all those signs of parking lot ignorance are erased.

Our fantastic weekend was topped off by an impromptu TDI (and one TDI in training) convoy home. The SnowCubs and Only in a Beetle caught up with us by pure coincidence...evidently Mrs. Cub and Lug_nut have the same size bladder. Good thing! That was fun.

I wish the best of luck to next year's organizers. The standards are WAY up there!

Thank you!
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:00   #26
G60ING
Veteran Member

I had a great time rolling up there. Thanks VeeDubTDI for putting this event together.
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:34   #27
airwolf
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI
I'm glad you all had a great time! It was a lot of work for Chad and I and all of our wonderful volunteers who helped us the entire weekend. I honestly couldn't be any more pleased with the way things turned out. Thank you to all of you for showing up and making this the biggest TDI event anywhere! 225 registrations and 160+ cars!!
I want to second this. Lawson and I are very glad that everyone enjoyed themselves and had a great time. Saying it was a lot of work is an understatement, but seeing everyone having a good time and seeing the entire event go smoothly was the big pay off for us and made it all worth it.

I also want to thank all of our volunteers (blue shirt people) for all the work they did and the willingness to take time out of their Fest experience to help us. Without you it would have never gone as smoothly as it did.

2014 F-150 AKA-Ruby

TDIFest2009 Organizer! | TDIFest2012 Organizer!
airwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:14   #28
dieselvet

Great organization, great hotel, great event. I was home by 10pm last night with a few stops along the way.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:34   #29
otm646
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/48.5/43

The road rally made 'fest, I was itching to get my manical driving out for the weekend.

Thanks guys.
05 WRX 5 speed wagon 220k + flow mods ~270 HP
06 Honda F4i
otm646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 13:27   #30
SnowCub
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 25 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetter_Sprinta
Our fantastic weekend was topped off by an impromptu TDI (and one TDI in training) convoy home. The SnowCubs and Only in a Beetle caught up with us by pure coincidence...evidently Mrs. Cub and Lug_nut have the same size bladder. Good thing! That was fun.
Now you all have to imagine this caravan after we left the rest stop, of a white Beetle, a Mercedes, a B4V and a Cabrio making a bee line from Middletown, NY to Waterbury, CT not exactly doing the speed limit. I'm sure we confused the heck out of a lot of people. It was quite a trip for me, especially the times that I had to explain to the wife (SnowWife, who was driving) why certain cars were having trouble with the pace at different times. What the difference was between an ALH motor and a 1Z, people's various stages of tune, and the problem that we always have with the Mercedes wanting to shoot north of 100 mph due to Jeff's Rocketchip tune on the inline 6.

I have to give props to Lug_Nut for keeping up (and even setting the pace at times) as long as he did on his stock tune. I was sure he was going to to give up, especially when OnlyInABeetle set the pace. Note for anyone following OnlyInABeetle, please be sure to ask her whether she has had her morning caffeine yet. It's a big difference! Like the difference between Brussels_Belgian and HamsterDiesel pace.
...former TDI A4, B4V owner...
SnowCub is offline   Reply With Quote