CEL 2009 with 19k P048C

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Dealer said is is a carboned up exhaust flap valve, covered but I hope this is not something to look forward to. Anyone else get this yet?

Last edited:

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
Great. I had no idea diesels were such messy creatures. Looking at the pictures of the thread in the 101 section intake, and damnnn!

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
A carboned up exhaust flap valve, how is that even possible since the exhaust flap sits well behind the DPF which actually traps any soot, etc. that the engine is producing??

As for clogged intakes, I'm not going to say that the CBEAs don't/won't have issues with this, but the amount of time it will take for the intakes to clog up will be exponentially longer than the ALHs and the other TDIs that are prone to intake clogging.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Why did the dealer give you a "P" code? They should have something a little more VW specific..

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
That was all they noted on the invoice. Part is on order $450 but will be covered. Just hope this is not something I will have to look forward to every 20k miles

dzcad90 said:
Why did the dealer give you a "P" code? They should have something a little more VW specific..

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Pelican18TQA4 said:
A carboned up exhaust flap valve, how is that even possible since the exhaust flap sits well behind the DPF which actually traps any soot, etc. that the engine is producing??
As for clogged intakes, I'm not going to say that the CBEAs don't/won't have issues with this, but the amount of time it will take for the intakes to clog up will be exponentially longer than the ALHs and the other TDIs that are prone to intake clogging.
Is there a flapper on the other EGR?

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
No just the CEL. I was 2 days from my 20k service so when I went in I told them to have a look. Still waiting on the part.

Rauss said:
Great... well bad situation there... lost of power symptom or something?

VarmintSlayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Trendline TDI 6spd manual Black
Mine was replaced around 10k, first an awful creaking noise after shutdown, few days later a cel.

No power loss or any other symptoms.

OhioDubs

TDI
03 Golf 10 Golf (RIP)
Turbine Suburban said:
Is it the flapper halfway back on the exhaust?
Yes its mid-way down the exhaust under the middle of the vehicle.

LoyalWhite

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Jibeho said:
That was all they noted on the invoice. Part is on order $450 but will be covered. Just hope this is not something I will have to look forward to every 20k miles
wow....

Just had my 09' at the dealer with the same problem (26K miles)
No power loss just an intermittent MIL light.
Code was: P048C

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Just got back from the dealer with the same problem. They cleared the code and said all was OK but when they pulled the car around for me it came back on. The dealer listed a different code (P0481) than what I got on VCDS (P048C). I think they made a typo since they spelled out the exhaust flap on exhaust. Won't be able to get it fixed until next year. Dealer says it's OK to drive till then. I hope? I can hear the exhaust flap making the creaking noise after shut down.

Last edited:

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
When they discovered mine I think they hit it with some CRC and sent me down the road while we waited for the part. I drove 1000 miles up to MD and the CEL came back on. So I think your ok to drive it,

Ted Hurst said:
Just got back from the dealer with the same problem. They cleared the code and said all was OK but when they pulled the car around for me it came back on. The dealer listed a different code (P0481) than what I got on VCDS (P048C). I think they made a typo since they spelled out the exhaust flap on exhaust. Won't be able to get it fixed until next year. Dealer says it's OK to drive till then. I hope? I can hear the exhaust flap making the creaking noise after shut down.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Update. Got the car back after one week. Bad weather delayed the part shipment. New exhaust flap installed and covered under warranty. Dealership provided me with a loaner.

TDISportwagen

TDI
'09 Laser Blue Sportwagen
51500 Miles and Just got the P048C code as well.

Well, I pulled in to eat dinner on my birthday, and guess what surprise I got when I turned the key after coming out? I stopped by Advance Auto and pulled the code, and it is the same one. Is this covered under the 80K emissions warranty? Sure hope so if it will be $450 for the part...

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Well, I pulled in to eat dinner on my birthday, and guess what surprise I got when I turned the key after coming out? I stopped by Advance Auto and pulled the code, and it is the same one. Is this covered under the 80K emissions warranty? Sure hope so if it will be $450 for the part...
Take it to a dealer and see what they tell you.