Retrofit phone control on mf steering wheel, 2003 Passat?

Freddy1976

TDI
Passat 4Motion
Hi!
First; I'm from Norway, and my english is very bad, but i'm trying to get some help here. I've tryed get help here in Norway, but always get "Sorry, we cant help you!"
So, the case is that i have an 2003 Passat 1,9TDi Highline 4Motion (Wagon). This car is fitted with mf steeringwheel, navi (mfd), handsfree +++.....
I've been told (tecnical sentre, vw norway) that phone-control on mf steeringwheel was not possible to get on Passat b5.5 (and earlier). But i've read around on www that this can be done. Also, its possible to by part # 1J0 959 537 G that is the left button om mf sw with "PHONE" on, and sw control module 1J0 907 487 A that is (as far as i know) for phone control on sw?
I have the handy adapter 1J0 035 705 F.
My interface is 3B0 035 729 E
My sw control module is 1J0 907 487 B, but i have the "A" module also.
When i plug the "A" module in, my ross-tech cable (VCDS) dont find the controller. VCDS find the "B" module. I've tryed 2 different "A" modules.
I mailed a little bit with a tecnical dude from vw norway, and he says that there is no signal from my interface to sw control module, and if i get my "A" module working i would still not get my phone control on sw working. I dont have the right button jet, just the oem button (for cruisecontrol)
So, is this possible to get phone-control on steeringwheel? If yes, how?
I guess i have to get another interface? Anything else?

Kalini

TDI
1.9 TDI 130 and 2.0 TDI 136
Hi Freddy

I just wrote to you on vwnavi.com.

I had controller unit p/n 1J0 907 487 B too.

Last week, I changed it. I installed the 1J0 907 487 A part.

You must hook up T18/1 (from Controler) to Can Bus Low between cluster and TMC..
You must hook up T18/3 to Can Bus High between cluster and TMC

You must disconnect T18/5, T18/12 and T18/15.

If you invert T18/1 and T18/3, VCDC can't find controller.

Last edited:

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Hello, this one is easy... the problem is that the MFL controller tailing 847A expects a can-bus connection to the comfort can-bus network... Since those two pins are "open" (unconnected) the module fails and resets itself...

Try this: take a pair of wires (0,5 mm., slim), twist them, and connect it to any confort-can-bus point, like the wire from the driver's door, climatronic or comfort module... the shortest path is to connect it to the driver's door. You will identify can-bus wires in a VAG because those are orange and twisted... take the original twisting as the reference... but remember that this is very important... when one wire has logic "1" (0 volts) the other has logic "0" (12 volts)... if you don't twist-them, one wire will induct courrent to the other wire... making interferences that will jam the whole bus...

Then, you have to insert the can-bus wires into the MFL controller socket, at pins 1 and 3, with apropriate pins... pin 1 will be can-High signal... pin 3 will be can-Low signal... Run the wire to the connector comming from the driver's door, the black one with 10 pins, and connect can-Low to the twisted orange-brown (always can-low) and the can-h to the other orange... the other orange can be, depending on the model/year, orange/purple, orange/green, orange/<any> ...

Then, you will be able to connect with vag-com and recode properly to detect the phone push button...

FYI: some left buttons pack, include the phone push-button even though there is no symbol drawn on the top-down button... just cutting a small piece of plastic, the button will become operative and functional (the internal board includes even the microswitch)... but once I found one that didn't have the microswitch... Just scratching the black painting, you can "draw" the telephone symbol... with a lot of care... and you will have converted your buttons pack to the telephone version.

Hope this helps

Freddy1976

TDI
Passat 4Motion
madelgado said:
Hello, this one is easy... the problem is that the MFL controller tailing 847A expects a can-bus connection to the comfort can-bus network... Since those two pins are "open" (unconnected) the module fails and resets itself...

Try this: take a pair of wires (0,5 mm., slim), twist them, and connect it to any confort-can-bus point, like the wire from the driver's door, climatronic or comfort module... the shortest path is to connect it to the driver's door. You will identify can-bus wires in a VAG because those are orange and twisted... take the original twisting as the reference... but remember that this is very important... when one wire has logic "1" (0 volts) the other has logic "0" (12 volts)... if you don't twist-them, one wire will induct courrent to the other wire... making interferences that will jam the whole bus...

Then, you have to insert the can-bus wires into the MFL controller socket, at pins 1 and 3, with apropriate pins... pin 1 will be can-High signal... pin 3 will be can-Low signal... Run the wire to the connector comming from the driver's door, the black one with 10 pins, and connect can-Low to the twisted orange-brown (always can-low) and the can-h to the other orange... the other orange can be, depending on the model/year, orange/purple, orange/green, orange/<any> ...

Then, you will be able to connect with vag-com and recode properly to detect the phone push button...

FYI: some left buttons pack, include the phone push-button even though there is no symbol drawn on the top-down button... just cutting a small piece of plastic, the button will become operative and functional (the internal board includes even the microswitch)... but once I found one that didn't have the microswitch... Just scratching the black painting, you can "draw" the telephone symbol... with a lot of care... and you will have converted your buttons pack to the telephone version.

Hope this helps
Yes, this helps a LOT! Have to get some wires and pins from my local vw dealer.

Thank you very much!!! :D

EDIT; And i still have to disconnect 5-12-15 on sw controller as Kalini wrote? :)

Last edited:

Kalini

TDI
Freddy1976 said:

EDIT; And i still have to disconnect 5-12-15 on sw controller as Kalini wrote? :)
It is strange.
I didn't need to recode any thing by VAG-COM..
New Can Bus control Unit had been detected automaticaly by VAG-COM.

T18/5 is Remote control in Mini ISO behind Radio
T18/12 is +12V
T18/15 is illumination

I don't think you have to disconnect them, but you can do It.
I do it to have less wire..
illumination, Remote and 12V go by Can Bus.

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Freddy1976 said:

Well, about disconnecting wires... let's go deeper:

pin 5 is for radio/remote... in the event of having navigation unit with can-bus (if I am not wrong, MFD version G) you will need this. I use this pin to control my actual radio Gamma V that doesn't have can-bus connection.

pin 12: It will probably become redundant... it signals to the relay that ignition is on... this message will come over can-bus as well... probably the relay will ignore this pin... it doesn't hurt... I have it connected (as well as can-bus) and at least I can promise that it doesn't do any bad.

pin 15: Instruments illumination (signal 58D)... this signal represents the percentage of illumination of the reostat... the tacho sends this signal for sure through can-bus, since the door modules (power windows) use it to illuminate the window buttons according to that percentage... so again maybe this one is redundant as well... I have this one connected as well...

Kalini

TDI
madelgado said:
Well, about disconnecting wires... let's go deeper:

pin 5 is for radio/remote... in the event of having navigation unit with can-bus (if I am not wrong, MFD version G) you will need this. I use this pin to control my actual radio Gamma V that doesn't have can-bus connection.

pin 12: It will probably become redundant... it signals to the relay that ignition is on... this message will come over can-bus as well... probably the relay will ignore this pin... it doesn't hurt... I have it connected (as well as can-bus) and at least I can promise that it doesn't do any bad.

pin 15: Instruments illumination (signal 58D)... this signal represents the percentage of illumination of the reostat... the tacho sends this signal for sure through can-bus, since the door modules (power windows) use it to illuminate the window buttons according to that percentage... so again maybe this one is redundant as well... I have this one connected as well...
Madelgado,

T18/5 is for radio/remote, yes.. But, IF he uses 1J0 907 487 A (C) relay and if he hook up can bus correctly (T18/1 can bus L and T18/3 can bus H) and MFD ver G with Can, he doesn't need T18/5 no more ..

For the pin 15 illumination, it is the same thing.. illumination signal go through can bus. So he doesn't need the pin 15 no more..

I disconnected pin 5,12 and 15, but I hook up t18/1 to can bus Low and T18/3 to can bus Hig and steering wheel control work perfectly. Illumination, radio MFD G control, etc, etc..

I don't know what happens if He don't disconnected these wires..
May be, Can bus is the first way and the other pins are automaticaly off..

I had bought the Steering wheel control Kufatec cable. There was 2 wire at the pin T18/12.. One from Fuse, and another whitch go to steering wheel.
I disconnected them from the relay, but I hook up the 2 wire together, to 12V go to the steering wheel control again.

So may be not disconnected the Pin 12.. But you could disconnect the pin 5 and pin 15 if you want..

If you don't disconnect these pins, you may be would use you relay 1J0 907 487 A (or C), like a Non Can Bus relay if you change his soft coding to 00008.. These Can Bus relay work like that too.

Sorry for my bad English

Last edited:

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Kalini said:
Madelgado,

T18/5 is for radio/remote, yes.. But, IF he uses 1J0 907 487 A (C) relay and if he hook up can bus correctly (T18/1 can bus L and T18/3 can bus H) and MFD ver G with Can, he doesn't need T18/5 no more ..

For the pin 15 illumination, it is the same thing.. illumination signal go through can bus. So he doesn't need the pin 15 no more..

I disconnected pin 5,12 and 15, but I hook up t18/1 to can bus Low and T18/3 to can bus Hig and steering wheel control work perfectly. Illumination, radio MFD G control, etc, etc..

I don't know what happens if He don't disconnected these wires..
May be, Can bus is the first way and the other pins are automaticaly off..

I had bought the Steering wheel control Kufatec cable. There was 2 wire at the pin T18/12.. One from Fuse, and another whitch go to steering wheel.
I disconnected them from the relay, but I hook up the 2 wire together, to 12V go to the steering wheel control again.

So may be not disconnected the Pin 12.. But you could disconnect the pin 5 and pin 15 if you want..

Sorry for my bad English
Hi, what I meant in my post is that you can disconnect the redundant wires ... or not. When I installed my MFL, I connected all the wires, with the can-bus version of the relay (...487A). It didn't work, and I couln't even connect with vag-com... Then, I asked in the local forum if I could borrow from someone the no can-bus version of the relay (487B)... I got it and tested it... it worked perfectly... vag-com and the steering wheel... then I realized about the missing can-bus wires, since I didn't wire the can-bus lines since I didn't need it... I connected the wires for can-bus and everything worked (I didn't disconnect anything). So now, I have connected the redundant wires (5, 12 and 15) and can-bus, in the can-bus version of the relay (...487A) and everything works perfectly. If he has those wires installed, I just suggest to let them there and just to add the missing wires.

BTW, yesterday I connected vag-com to the steering wheel module (16) and I verified that the telephone button is shown as ACTIVATED (when pressed) even though my left buttons do not have the telephone over the CANCEL. I just had to cut 1mm. of plastic to let the button to be pressed.

Kalini

TDI
OK.. I told him he could disconnect these wire to have less wire in his dash. It work well like that.
So he doesn't need to disconnect them..
But If He use soft coding 00118 or 00119, illumination signal, remote control go through can bus, and not by pin 5 and pin 15.

OK for you phone control. It is a good Idea..
I have allready the phone control on my steering wheel control, and vag-com recognizes al button too.

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Kalini said:
OK.. I told him he could disconnect these wire to have less wire in his dash. It work well like that.
So he doesn't need to disconnect them..
But If He use soft coding 00118 or 00119, illumination signal, remote control go through can bus, and not by pin 5 and pin 15.

OK for you phone control. It is a good Idea..
I have allready the phone control on my steering wheel control, and vag-com recognizes al button too.
I just need to "scratch" a bit the black painting and "draw" the telephone icon... could you please post a picture of your telephone button? I still don't know which technique to use to make it so that it looks OEM... I would appreciate that picture a lot (or better, illuminated and not illuminated). Thanks in advance!

Kalini

TDI
Yes, with pleasure: (I could make you better photos If you want)

Last edited:

Kalini

TDI
Madelgado

Do you have any photo to the plastic you cut, in the button ? please ?

aruizdechavez

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLX Passat; 2008 Sport Bora ... Non TDI :(
Very interesting post.. I want that!!!!!!!!

Madelgado: What ever happend with your parrot and parrot buttons on a blind cover to the right of your Gamma+PDA radio? Are you using the steering wheel tel button with OEM bluetooth or with the parrot?

Thanks, good day to all

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Hello Kalini, since you were so kind to post the pictures INMEDIATLY after I asked, what I did is to take a spare buttons set that I have untouched and to make the mod on it... no need to disassemble the electronics... just to push on the axle of the button, to take it out (you can push it with a small screw driver and then to pull with some tool). The first picture shows the axle (as a spot)...

As you can see, it only needs the "drawing" of the telephone icon... I am still thinking about how to make it perfect...

One question: I see that instead of CANCEL it says MODE... Is there any functional difference of this button with respect to the no telephone version? Thanks a lot!

aruiz, mi cuate, now I don't use that button... I know that there is an interface for parrot, but I never used such interface... My parrot (integrated into the gamma+ppc) is the most basic one, CK3000... maybe the interfaces are for the newer versions...

aruizdechavez

Veteran Member
TDI
Good night to all!

Madelgado, my cuate!. To draw the icon perfect...it though about it for a while and then I remembered my office telephone buttons (those programmable like memories, transfer, conf) which are clear buttons and the letters/icons are lasser printed on a transparent sheet (those used years ago for presentations using retroprojectors, remember? "Acetatos" were called in spanish). So an "acetanto" printed with Black background and no foreground for the tel icon.. may be worth a try... What do U think??

Saludos y gracias!

Alejandro

BTW: I have just realized i'm a "member" and not a newbie anymore :D

Last edited:

aruizdechavez

Veteran Member
TDI
mmm my last post....probably not..
I tought the "scratching " was to be done in the inside of the button... just took the button appart (apparently the axle was lost) but clearly enough the paint is on the outside...so the "acetato" thing would not work.. :(

regards

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
aruizdechavez said:
Good night to all!

Madelgado, my cuate!. To draw the icon perfect...it though about it for a while and then I remembered my office telephone buttons (those programmable like memories, transfer, conf) which are clear buttons and the letters/icons are lasser printed on a transparent sheet (those used years ago for presentations using retroprojectors, remember? "Acetatos" were called in spanish). So an "acetanto" printed with Black background and no foreground for the tel icon.. may be worth a try... What do U think??

Saludos y gracias!

Alejandro

BTW: I have just realized i'm a "member" and not a newbie anymore :D
That would mean to scratch all the button surface and then to paste the printed plastic... hmmm... let's say that I can take this option as a second option, just in the event of doing it bad on the first try...

What I am considering right now is more like building a small template with the icon laser-cutted (like a negative) in the exact size, and then to brush the pattern with dremel until I have the black paint on the button gone. A friend of mine has this machine, a kind of plotter with laser or diamond tip... He could build for me a piece of self-adhesive thin plastic with the icon cutted inside (just for free)... Not until next week... :(

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
I think if you look very carefully you will see that switches are made of white plastic on the face which is just painted black. The symbol is just lasercut through the black paint.

You can feel the ridge in the painted symbols.

For your interest, this is the company that actually makes VW Audi switches:

http://www.bjautomotive.de/en/index.php

That is the technique they use to make the symbols.

Kalini

TDI
madelgado said:
Hello Kalini, since you were so kind to post the pictures INMEDIATLY after I asked, what I did is to take a spare buttons set that I have untouched and to make the mod on it... no need to disassemble the electronics... just to push on the axle of the button, to take it out (you can push it with a small screw driver and then to pull with some tool). The first picture shows the axle (as a spot)...

As you can see, it only needs the "drawing" of the telephone icon... I am still thinking about how to make it perfect...

One question: I see that instead of CANCEL it says MODE... Is there any functional difference of this button with respect to the no telephone version? Thanks a lot!

[...]
Hello madelgado

Thank you for your photos ;)

When the relay is the NON CAN BUS relay (1J0 907 487 B), (Sc 00008). Phone button and Mode button work as a Cruise Cancel Button.
May be it is the same when relay is the 1J0 907 487 A, with Sc 00008..

When relay is the Can Bus relay (1J0 907 487 A) with soft coding 00118, The Mode button work as the Cancel Button too.
I don't know for the Phone button no more..

With the Soft coding 00119, the More Control can display the Phone book on the FIS.. I think the Cancel for the cruise control don't work with this soft coding.

I am not sure at the moment.

titou43

TDI
TDI 130 4Motion
Hello
I looking for a bluetooth kit who function with buttons of the steeering wheel for a MK4 2002 (can bus)

Have you an idea of product ?

Lucas

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora Variant ARL DSG
T5 or Multivan should work, these came with phone control from factory. I bought one myself and hope to test soon if it works.

titou43

TDI
TDI 130 4Motion
Hello at all

Is it possible to modify the switch like the post of Madelgado and the switch work perfect or I must another switch for to place the "electric parts" ??

Many thanks