A few mod pics ('04 PD Wagon)

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I posted when I first got the car, but I'm made a few changes, so I thought I'd post some recent pics.

My main goal is to "GLIify" the wagon as I love the GLI a lot. I know for a lot of people it's just a baseline to start modding, but for me it would be a fabulous daily driver. So, this is all stuff that has been done before, and it will be boring to a lot of you, but it's what I want ;) !!

Along the way, a few Euro OE things have caught my eye, so I added them too!

I can't remember exactly all the things I've done to it, but here's the best I can do:

•TT Short Shifter
•Bora HIDS
•MFD
•FIS Cluster w/ r32 & passat "frankenfaces" (R32 needles soon!)
•Lit Jetta Vents (so glad I did this - almost didn't after having to pull my dash for the THIRD time while installing the MFD - see picture below!!)
•R-Line 5 speed shifter
•GLI pedals & steering wheel
•R32 e-brake
•Euro Bora Tails (foglight enabled)
•GLI Suspension
•GLI Brakes
•GLI Seats (drivers one is a little rough - Aaron, help me out ;) !!)
•GLI BBS Wheels
•GLI Rear Axle with 21mm sway (I've got Cupra R bushings to go in this week)
•GLI Alu
•GLI Door cards + Alu trim and Lock pins
•Passat homelink Visor

Most of my non-engine mods are coming to an end. I'm so happy with how it has turned out! There a few things that I'm gonna do at a later date though.

These are things I have just waiting on the right timing!
GLI Skirts (need paint)
Votex Wagon rear valence (waiting on a "shorty" bumper and paint)
GLI front valence (actually, I don't have this yet, but the idea is to paint everything at once)

I guess the next thing is the engine, but I need to do a whole lot more reading before starting that!!

Any way, enough of the gabbing, here are some pics (please just humour my poor attempt at the "artsy" ones ;) !!).

Couple days after getting the car (sorry for the REALLY bad pic!):

Installing the MFD, take 1!!!

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
After a shower:

In the sun:

Recaros!

"Recaros" (ie, VW covers, with matching material)

Last edited:

dave905

TDI
2004 Jetta
looks great!
as a new TDI owner i'm looking to make the car look a little nicer, and my first plan is to get some rims (it's only got hubcaps right now). I'm looking at the rims like you have. Do you remember where you got them?

Thanks,
Dave

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Dave - Check out the 5x100 wheel/tire classifieds section on www.vwvortex.com. Those guys tend to change their wheels more often than they change their oil!! :eek: If you're patient, there are great deals to be had.

Blizz - The car looks great!! Very tastefully done! Hope to see your car and meet you sometime when I'm over on the Mainland. Always nice to put a face to a name/car.

If you want some suggestions as far as power mods for the car, or just want to bounce some ideas off omeone, feel free to give me a shout.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Wow, great looking wagon. Love it.

Forgive my ignorance and laziness but what is an "MFD". Whatever it is I think I'll remember never to take on that project with my future wagon!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
KITEWAGON said:

Forgive my ignorance and laziness but what is an "MFD". Whatever it is I think I'll remember never to take on that project with my future wagon!
Multi-function Display

I wish my Jetta's MFD had a lot more actual functionality.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
KITEWAGON said:

The MFD is the navi display.

Rocketeer, do you mean the MFA? That's the half-hight display in the clusters.

Thanks everyone for your compliments! It's been fun so far ;) !!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Ed's TDI said:
Blizz - The car looks great!! Very tastefully done! Hope to see your car and meet you sometime when I'm over on the Mainland. Always nice to put a face to a name/car.

If you want some suggestions as far as power mods for the car, or just want to bounce some ideas off omeone, feel free to give me a shout.
Thanks Ed! I hope to make it to a GTG sometime too!

I honestly think I know what I want for power stuff, it's just a case of money now! I've blown everything I had on the "visual" mods. I have VERY conservative power ambitions. I'd like 200 Bhp (not WHP), which I think is pretty easy with mostly OE stuff. I think PD150 piping, intake, turbo, R32 snorkel and a chip should almost get me there. Then I'll be very happy!

Cheers everyone!
-Chris

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
dave905 said:
looks great!
as a new TDI owner i'm looking to make the car look a little nicer, and my first plan is to get some rims (it's only got hubcaps right now). I'm looking at the rims like you have. Do you remember where you got them?

Thanks,
Dave
I totally agree with Ed! I snagged these wheels from the vortex 5x100 wheel F/S section. From a guy who lived just across the border from me. They sell their stuff for cheap because it's a dime a dozen on there!

Good luck!

Last edited:

GLIDN

TDI
MK4 TDI
Damn Nice wagon you got there.
Diesel wagon where and are not available here in NZ.

have you got the full MFD working?

Been helping out a friend to get this MFA working. Coded a Immo2 and Immo3 cluster for his car, also put the additional wiring in, but cannot get the mpg to register, just sits at 0. Any help would be awesome.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Off Topic - Any chance you're heading down to the Portland GTG at Fix'Um Haus? It's next weekend (Aug. 22 for the GTG and racing and Aug. 23 for the cruise) and should be a great turnout. I'll be heading down on Friday and staying at a friend's place in Washington, then heading out Saturday morning. If you want to meet up with us, we can caravan down. It would be great chance to meet other TDI owners and check out their rides, not to mention letting everyone see yours! Even if you only come down for the day for the GTG, it would be a great trip!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Updates!!

Ed, you're gonna kill me because I haven't dealt with any "go" mods yet, but they are coming!!! For now, more "show" ;) !!

Finally got all my stuff painted! New pieces include:

•Euro front rubstrip without side-markers
•Front Valance
•Side Skirts
•Rear Shorty Bumper
•Rear Rub
•Rear Valance
•Stubby *Folding* Mirror
•Key delete in the driver's door.

I'm really stoked how it turned out...

The NAVI antenna has been on for a while, but I just love how it looks with the Sharan stubby, so I snapped a pic!!

Last edited:

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Wow. I'm jealous. Gotta say probably the most tastefully done MKIV I've seen.

Unless you really like Clarkdale VW I think your next mod should be to get rid of their hatch decal and plate. The white decal in the lower left bothers me aesthetically for some reason

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
eb2143 said:
...The white decal in the lower left bothers me aesthetically for some reason...
Thanks! The white decal is going for SURE! It bothers me to, but after ~180K it is being a ***** to get rid of. And I'm too lazy to bring a hairdryer to the garage ;) !! The plate surround is staying 'cuz I like it!

Cheers!

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
Looking good! The Clarkdale plate surround could be replaced with a nice tdiclub.com one :)

Did installing the MFD really require pulling the dash?

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Steve99 said:
Did installing the MFD really require pulling the dash?
Require, no. Need to be to not set off my OCD? Yes!! :eek:

I have the outside temp sensor, etc all installed with "aftermarket" wires. I drove it like that for a week and seriously almost couldn't sleep!! I ripped out all that and bought a complete body harness from a GLI. I pulled all the wires I needed from the donor harness, cut open the factory looms in my car and installed the wires. All OE, ALL the right colour, etc, etc. NO wrong coloured wires, no scotch-locks, no soldering!!! Now I can sleep ;) !!

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
Hah! Your energy and determination is amazing. I just reattached my OTS and side marker lights myself. With the OTS missing everything seemed to work but of course my HVAC system was throwing a code. Drove me bonkers until I got it all reconnected. I had to solder a few wires but am ok with that.

btw - please tell me you've done the needle mod to the cluster - its a must!

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Steve99 said:
btw - please tell me you've done the needle mod to the cluster - its a must!
So they are always lit? Not yet. I'm still trying to find some R32 faces for my cluster. I've had no temp and fuel gauges since I installed the cluster!!

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
I've done the always lit mod for a few people now, everyone who sees it, wants it. I wouldn't mind the full FIS R32 cluster as my factory one is MFA of course. I'd also prefer the primary speed indicator to be in kms instead of mph.

Was your R32 cluster not complete when you got it?

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Steve99 said:
Was your R32 cluster not complete when you got it?
It's kinda a long story... I bought a full FIS tdi cluster off ebay.de. All it was was the "insides". So I got some passat TDI euro faces from a member on here but the passat fuel/temp faces don't line up. The R32 and the new city jetta/golf have the passat styles faces so I want those faces and the aluminum centered needles. Still searching. I actually paid the douche-bag from ebay.de for a set of r32 faces and needles but never got them...

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
There was a guy on Vortex selling the MFA R32 clusters, he was located in Toronto. Guess you could buy one just to get the speed/temp/fuel face and the needles. Maybe you could sell the rest. His pricing was the cheapest I have seen for an R32 cluster but is still a lot for a face and some needles.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Steve99 said:
There was a guy on Vortex selling the MFA R32 clusters, he was located in Toronto. Guess you could buy one just to get the speed/temp/fuel face and the needles. Maybe you could sell the rest. His pricing was the cheapest I have seen for an R32 cluster but is still a lot for a face and some needles.
If you have a link I'd appreciate it!

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Wow, beautiful wagon. But that "Clarkdale" crap has to go. I vote for nearly a full de-badge (gotta keep the TDI of course though).

Stubby mirrors are the sh*t.