www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 4th, 2009, 13:45   #1
highlader69
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Default 2000 Audi A4 tdi 6 speed

Hi guys,

This is my first post , but before I start I wanted to say this
site rocks!!!


So here goes......bear with me.

2000 Audi A4 tiptronic donor car $500

1998 Volks jetta 1.9 tdi AHU $600

I already have the 6 speed tdi tranny

Seeing as the A4 has network communications can I use a 2000 golf ALH
computer with immobiliser delete on the AHU engine?

This will hopefully give me the network abilities that the A4 needs,
and I can upgrade to a variable vane turbo at the same time?

I'm a licenced tech for 22 years and I'm comfortable with electrical , custom fabrication etc.

I've read the other A4 tdi thread (very impressive) and I want to stick with
a VE style diesel.

Thanks in advance,

Craig.
highlader69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 17:04   #2
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member
 
TDIsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK
TDI(s): Audi/TDI x 2
Fuel Economy: 50-60mpg HWY, depending on speed and wind
Default

Hi Craig. Welcome to the site. Wow. You have pulled some stuff together dirt cheap. Good start!

Yes you can switch to a VNT turbo with an ALH N75 and a tune change. I am not sure if the ALH will work with AHU..probably will, but PM VWmikel for the tune you need and guidance on your ECU selection. Look forward to following yuor project.
__________________
2001 Audi A4 - New Project - 2.0TDI CR 450HP All Turbo
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270527
2007 Canyon w/2011 TDI CJAA CR
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415533
TDIsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 18:22   #3
Scott_DeWitt
 
Scott_DeWitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlader69
Hi guys,

This is my first post , but before I start I wanted to say this
site rocks!!!


So here goes......bear with me.

2000 Audi A4 tiptronic donor car $500

1998 Volks jetta 1.9 tdi AHU $600

I already have the 6 speed tdi tranny

Seeing as the A4 has network communications can I use a 2000 golf ALH
computer with immobiliser delete on the AHU engine?

This will hopefully give me the network abilities that the A4 needs,
and I can upgrade to a variable vane turbo at the same time?

I'm a licenced tech for 22 years and I'm comfortable with electrical , custom fabrication etc.

I've read the other A4 tdi thread (very impressive) and I want to stick with
a VE style diesel.

Thanks in advance,

Craig.
Welcome, your going to need some items specific to the longitudnal configuration such as accessories, accessory mounts, engine mounts, turbo manifolds, turbo, intake manifold, front axles, rear prop shaft, rear differential (if your car was a V6), clutch, shifter assembly, subframe (if your car was a 4 cylinder), front radiator support (if your A4 is a V6), and the list goes on...

Although you got you AHU cheap, the electronics don't allow you to run a VNT turbo, however the Golf TDI will but you'll need the harness.

Good luck with the project it sounds like something really fun to undertake.
__________________
www.advancedautomotion.com
Scott_DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:36   #4
highlader69
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Default

Hi guys ,

thanks for the quick responses.

I got the A4 so cheap a couple of years back with a blown engine, I fixed
her up and the wife has been driving her ever since.
The tiptronic is now on it's way out so this is where the swap idea
came from.

I'm a newbie to the vw stuff so bear with me as I learn.
I've been reading for weeks on this forum, I love it.

I'm an old skool audi guy, my current project is here.
http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12422


Basically I'm starting to collect parts:

Here's what I think I'll need please feel feel to give suggestions:

one 2000 A4 1.8t auto

one 1998 jetta AhU

one 2.5 tdi tranny 01E

V6 s4 shift linkage

V6 prop shaft and possible front axles

1.8 turbo flywheel, clutch, starter?

pedal box

Newer diesel ecu , harness for networking abilities

custom header for clearance and bigger turbo

205 or bigger injectors

custom tune

custom intercooler pipes

3 inch exhaust

misc parts?

I'm hoping the engine will bolt right in

Newer passat tdi engine mounts

I basically want a reliable 150 hp if possible as this will become my daily
driver.

That's all I can think of for now.

Many thanks,

Craig.
highlader69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:59   #5
SeththeRuthless
Member
 
SeththeRuthless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Illinois
TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: ~50mpg in my '84 Rabbit Diesel (RIP), ~32mpg in my current AEG A4 Jetta
Default

Wow, the work on your Audi is impressive. With your skills, you shouldn't have much trouble with the TDI swap.
SeththeRuthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:58   #6
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member
 
TDIsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK
TDI(s): Audi/TDI x 2
Fuel Economy: 50-60mpg HWY, depending on speed and wind
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlader69
I'm an old skool audi guy, my current project is here.
http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12422


Basically I'm starting to collect parts:

Here's what I think I'll need please feel feel to give suggestions:

one 2000 A4 1.8t auto

one 1998 jetta AhU

one 2.5 tdi tranny 01E

V6 s4 shift linkage

V6 prop shaft and possible front axles

1.8 turbo flywheel, clutch, starter?

pedal box

Newer diesel ecu , harness for networking abilities

custom header for clearance and bigger turbo

205 or bigger injectors

custom tune

custom intercooler pipes

3 inch exhaust

misc parts?

I'm hoping the engine will bolt right in

Newer passat tdi engine mounts

I basically want a reliable 150 hp if possible as this will become my daily
driver.

That's all I can think of for now.

Many thanks,

Craig.
Nice project. I have actually looked at that one before. As Scott mentioned, if you use 01E, you will need to change rear diff & axles to S4 (4.11:1) unit to match up.
As for the networking..are you refering to the canbus system? The cluster does not need input on that. The A4 B5 audi only usess canbus with the triptronic tranny. You just need K-line, and a bunch of other sensors or dummy sensors for the AutoCheck system in the cluster to be happy.
Use a BHW starter, the 1.8T and 2.8 starters are whimpy in comparison. 1.8T flywheel is good, you will need an aftermarket pressure plate and disk for the torque. For exhaust manifold, just find a BHW unit w/ the GT1749VA turbo and you will be very happy with fit and performance up to 170HP and have instant spool.
__________________
2001 Audi A4 - New Project - 2.0TDI CR 450HP All Turbo
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270527
2007 Canyon w/2011 TDI CJAA CR
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415533
TDIsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 13:16   #7
Scott_DeWitt
 
Scott_DeWitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIsyncro
Nice project. I have actually looked at that one before. As Scott mentioned, if you use 01E, you will need to change rear diff & axles to S4 (4.11:1) unit to match up.
There is 3.89 gearset for the 01E that we do keep on hand but likely beyond the budget of this project.

If your so inclined you can search the European theater and just about any manifold from a 1.9 TDI in an A4, and passat will work, but I'd recommend the 130pd manifolds as by appearances are a better unit.
__________________
www.advancedautomotion.com
Scott_DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 18:06   #8
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member
 
TDIsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK
TDI(s): Audi/TDI x 2
Fuel Economy: 50-60mpg HWY, depending on speed and wind
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_DeWitt
There is 3.89 gearset for the 01E that we do keep on hand but likely beyond the budget of this project.
Thats good to know. Can you PM me a price?
__________________
2001 Audi A4 - New Project - 2.0TDI CR 450HP All Turbo
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270527
2007 Canyon w/2011 TDI CJAA CR
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415533
TDIsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 19:36   #9
Scott_DeWitt
 
Scott_DeWitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIsyncro
Thats good to know. Can you PM me a price?
PM sent!
__________________
www.advancedautomotion.com
Scott_DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:23   #10
turboquattro
Member
 
turboquattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
TDI(s): Audi 2,5tdi
Default

Go Craig Go!
Sounds like a fun project.
__________________
Martin Pajak
http://www.quattro.ca

1993 Audi 90 CS quattro, 2.5 TDI with 6-speed
1993 Audi 80 quattro Avant, 2.5 TDI with 6-speed in works
turboquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:41   #11
highlader69
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIsyncro
Nice project. I have actually looked at that one before. As Scott mentioned, if you use 01E, you will need to change rear diff & axles to S4 (4.11:1) unit to match up.
As for the networking..are you refering to the canbus system? The cluster does not need input on that. The A4 B5 audi only usess canbus with the triptronic tranny. You just need K-line, and a bunch of other sensors or dummy sensors for the AutoCheck system in the cluster to be happy.
Use a BHW starter, the 1.8T and 2.8 starters are whimpy in comparison. 1.8T flywheel is good, you will need an aftermarket pressure plate and disk for the torque. For exhaust manifold, just find a BHW unit w/ the GT1749VA turbo and you will be very happy with fit and performance up to 170HP and have instant spool.
Thanks so much TDI syncro,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes I was more concerned with the instrument cluster stuff than anything
else.
I'm currently studying wiring diagrams , tranny codes, diff codes,in order to get my game plan together.

I'm now thinking of bringing in a complete PD 130 engine, harness, computer etc at the moment.

Thanks again guys for your responses.

Cheers,

Craig
highlader69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 17:25   #12
INA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa
TDI(s): 2.5 TDI
Default

Welcome Craig
Wizard-of-OD
__________________
Issam N. Abed
iABED Industries
iABED Email
INA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:12   #13
highlader69
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INA
Welcome Craig


Wizard-of-OD

HI Issam,

Thanks,

Your over here two
!~!!!!!.

It's nice and refreshing to be surfing this forum.


I love Motorgeek, however I'm really digging this diesel stuff.

It's a steep learning curve for me...great stuff

Cheers,

Craig.
highlader69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.13955 seconds with 9 queries
[Output: 116.65 Kb. compressed to 97.93 Kb. by saving 18.73 Kb. (16.05%)]