MKIV rear axle bushing tools - had some made

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
After searching here and vortex I decided to have a set of tooling made before doing my own bushings.

Took a new Bushing and an axle to a local machine shop who made me tooling.

Loaned them to a VW shop who called today with very good results.

I couldn't find anything to really do this that a fella could afford where the odds were good the car wouldn't be down while running around freezing things, looking for C-clamps, etc. when I do my own car.

I may sell and or rent these tools. If I could have found something that worked I would have gladly bought them to begin with. Even for one job on my car with 175k that's seen Northeast winters it's whole life. Just to make life easier.

At some point I will post on the vortex to see if there is any demand since I couldn't find a good solution there either for the tooling issue.

Anyways anyone out there that may be interested in this?

If so I'll probably post somewhere in the for sale section. I'm not a vendor - just an individual that needed a solution for himself and was afraid of the workarounds that I had seen.

Just trying to gauge interest. I was surprised that nothing really existed.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If your price is reasonable, then you'll sell quite a few. But it depends on what 'reasonable' is. For me, it is probably much less than most.

philokie

TDI
1998 New Beetle, Red/Black 2002 Jetta GLS TDI, Black/Black, 2017 Audi A4 S line, 77 Corvette
Rear Axle Bushing Tool

Having a pair of 02 Jettas, I have two set that are just waiting for me to get ambitious and replace them. I did locate a tool set from JTC Auto tools Part # 4649 that is designed with a treaded rod and mates perfectly to the bushing to install them and draw them into the axle. The set cost about $80.00 including the shipping.
What would be really nice would be another piece that would allow for extracting the old bushing in the same manner rather than having to cut it out.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Wow - I certainly didn't turn up an 80.00 kit that I though had good odds of working.

I tried a few "front wheel bearing service" and similar kits and nothing matched up well enough to the new bushing for me. Mind you I was looking BEFORE doing the job. I didn't want to get in the middle and start experimenting.

As far as removal - that's kinda tough since there is really no place to put the puller until you've already started to remove the old bushing. And if they are shot (that's why you'd be replacing them) the rubber should be wimpy and easy to get outta there.

I though about it. Perhaps some kind of aparatus that goes to the arm or something to have something to pull against. Anyways it sounds like the existing methods for removal arent really that bad or time consuming. I was concerned with getting the new parts in straight & true without damage. That's what this kit is for.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
o.k. I witnessed the tool in use yesterday.

Just a hammer and the old ones popped out since they were shot. A couple sawzall cuts(carefully) and a little air chisel work and the outer shell came right out. A little lube on the axle, install bushing on tool, attach the whole tooling/bushing combo to the axle. Turn with a gearwrench, ratchet, whatever you choose. No need for impact, breaker bar, etc. The key is that it holds the bushing "true" so it doesn't jamb, spin, or have other issues. Less than 5 minutes per side to install the new bushings. Seems to work with Boge or VW bushings(probably the same anyways).

Took some pics as well. Happy tech's I must say.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
dave- can you post the pics? this was one of the most unpleasant tasks i've ever endeavored :(. if i ever need to do it again i'd love to have an alternative approach. thanks.

Lost680

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta Blue 2001 Jetta TDI
I would like to see what you made also. I was going to do it today but my car lift guy backed out.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Here's the scoop.

I should have another 5 sets completed this week.

I also purchased one of the cheap sets to compare that should be here this week. But from the VW Tech's I've talked with there is NO comparison. To the cheap set, the VW dealer tool, or anything else they had hobbled together.

I'm also trying to make a few very minor tweaks - like a bolt instead of allthread. The machined parts I believe will stay the same. Some could be made smaller(and cheaper) but I'm afraid it could mess with the ease of use/alignment. I'm not trying to make the cheapest set - just the best most affordable set of tooling.

I still think we'll be close to 200.00 by the time I ship them.

Working through the whole whether to patent, create a website, etc stuff.

I'd rather make an excellent product at a reasonable price that an enthusiast can afford. And at a price that other folks with free material or labor don't have incentive to rip off. Something like Ross-Tech does. An excellent product at an affordable price and hope that folks pay that little premium versus buying a clone or ripping it off. I realize that some folks would rather spend that money on Beer - but that's not the way I do things and I hope others are the same. I think most folks are "fair" and that's what I'm trying to be. Time will tell. And yes I've had a fully licensed legitimate version of Vag-Com for years.

I'm definately not looking to get rich. I just took the time to design something for my own use that I think others can benefit from. Have a friend who's machine shop is slow, a used rear axle and a new Bushing, and some idea's.

Now I'm told they just undo the brake line support/bracket and leave the brake lines attached and drop it the few inches to do this.

Jack up

Remove rims

Remove brake line clips

Remove brake line bracket bolts(one each side)

support axle beam (tranny jack or floor jack - depending on your height)

remove axle bolts

remove old bushings

lube axle

insert new bushing (tooling and gearwrench or ratchet) less tha 5 minutes each

reassemble in reverse order.

Last edited:

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
I'm curious to see what this tool looks like as well.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
I have a few pics that I'd be willing to post. Old idea - it's all about the precision for the alignment. Don't think I'll give away a lot with these pics so they may be unexciting.

I don't believe I've ever posted pics on this forum so I gotta go figure that out. And no I don't photobucket (or similar) they are here on my laptop.

On other sites I can upload them to my personal photo album then essentially cut/paste them into a thread.

I'll try and poke around tonight to figure it out.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Here are some pics of it the tool with the new bushing in place and ready to be installed.

Again - not a new concept - it's the ability to keep things perfectly aligned that's the beauty of the tool.

Having troubles finding an M12 bolt about 9" or so long.

and

Just a gearwrench or regular old socket. Impact not needed and may actually cause issues - you have no "feel" for things with an air tool - atleast not for something as potentially sensitive as this. Takes only a few minutes with a regular wrench - so why not?

A few minor changes possible - mostly the allthread/double nut. Some parts could be made smaller but I don't want to give up sturdiness so I don't know if they ever will be made smaller.

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
It's a very "tight" setup. Standard sizes would be easier and chaper to source. But the factory bolt is a 12mm.

There are several things designed into the tool that you can't tell from the pics all aimed at the all too critical alignment staying "true" during the complete installation.

It does have a standard washer on it though - literally half the price of the metric. I didn't think that was too much of a compromise.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
As opposed to using the factory bolt shank/thread (which serves a completely different function), i would go for a really heavy duty thread like what is used for other bearing or pulley pullers.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
The SIR wheel bearing tool also has a thrust washer, probably would be overkill for this application. There's a lot less torque on this vs. a wheel bearing.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
tditom said:
As opposed to using the factory bolt shank/thread (which serves a completely different function), i would go for a really heavy duty thread like what is used for other bearing or pulley pullers.
Excellent idea, there is no reason that it has to be an M12 bolt...in fact the threads on that may not hold up after awhile.

I'm very interested in this, a rental setup would be great.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Gonna still be allthread. The bolts would be a special order (read real expensive).

6 sets should be done this week(if not completed today).

Trying a 2 piece design still with all the precision alignment features. I liked the 3 piece design but really it was a byproduct of scrap material my friend had. Now that we're trying to get more of a true cost I bought some material for these sets so we are trying to make it 2 machined pieces instead of 3. I believe a couple of this batch will be for sale. The others are already spoken for - but we'll see.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
No need for precision tool here. We're not trying to get to the moon, its just a bushing.

I threw this tool together with scrap that was laying around the shop. The pipe on hand was slightly too large of an inside diameter, so I welded a plate to the pipe that press's on the bushing.

7/16" grade 5 all-thread works great and is a close fit to 12mm. I am sure 3/8" all-thread would work as well and is more common. Use long coupling nuts for lots of thread engagement. Lube threads with anti-seize, etc.

As you start to pull the bushing in, if it is not starting straight, you can tap it with a soft faced hammer to get it lined up.

Excellent how to here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2619054&postcount=13

Last edited:

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
davebugs said:
Gonna still be allthread. The bolts would be a special order (read real expensive).

6 sets should be done this week(if not completed today).

Trying a 2 piece design still with all the precision alignment features. I liked the 3 piece design but really it was a byproduct of scrap material my friend had. Now that we're trying to get more of a true cost I bought some material for these sets so we are trying to make it 2 machined pieces instead of 3. I believe a couple of this batch will be for sale. The others are already spoken for - but we'll see.
Not necessarily. Threaded rod is unquestionably less money but if you want a bolt this length try MCmaster carr. I can get them but you would have to make minimum which is $75.00. You can also cut the threaded rod and weld a nut onto it, in effect creating a bolt.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
Picking up more sections of allthread tomorrow along with the coupling nuts that I ordered on Monday.

I've been traveling all week. Hopefully the machine shop got the next 6 sets completed this week.

I can find bolts but they are only threaded like 2 inches and I need like 4.5 inches. Threading the difference could be difficult, and no sense in making a bolt.

Also debated about hardened allthread and hardened 4140 for the threaded end. Decided not to. I'll leave the allthread as the weak link - easiest to replace and only way it will be an issue is if someone is really abusing it.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
2" of thread indicates a Hex Cap Screw. Full thread is a Hex Tap Bolt. You must ask your supplier for a Hex Tap Bolt.

smilesyota

TDI
00 golf, 98 jetta
ecs tuning poly kit no special tools to install!, just put them in last night. I will never put the press in ones again!

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I tightened a hose clamp around the bushing to make it easy to get it started with a C-clamp. As soon as I got it started, I brought the whole assembly over to the log splitter. 20 tons of pressure pushed that bushing in like it was butter. :D

Golfrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I installed my rear axle bushings after a Home Depot visit.
I used 2 - 2 inch steel plumbing end caps and all thread...3/8 I think.
I drilled a 1/2 inch hole dead center into the caps, put the all thread though and with the new bushing sandwiched in between just screwed the bushing home. I did have a 3# hammer tapping when I became concerned I might be at stripping torque on the all thread. Took about 5 minutes per side. Total cost less than $15.00.