www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old July 15th, 2009, 06:05   #1
TDInownow
Veteran Member

Default VW 2.5 Engine Reliability - How is it?

Hey...think this is the right forum...not sure. Figured there may be some 2.5 folks around here, or better yet some VW techs that might have a beat on this. Are there any systemaic issues with the 2.5 Engine on the A5 platform, or is it pretty solid?

My in-laws saw my JSW TDI and they're thinking about a JSW. They don't drive that much, and won't be completely anal about the car, so I'm inclined to recommend an SE for their needs and for $2500 less than a TDI. They're coming from a V70XC, so the (lack of) power and the coarse engine won't really be issues.

Just wanted to see what the overall reliability impressions were, if that's possible.
'03 Jetta GLS TDI (5M): Gone - 196k @ 45.33 life MPG. Deer Total 05/09. Sold to TDIJetta99.
TDInownow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:08   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

So far so good. I would not have high expectations for the timing chain given VAG's track record, but 150 to 200K hopefully is possible.

Holds a bit more oil than the TDI, oil is essentially the same (different spec of course, but still not something you will find in Wal-mart).

I have heard of some ignition coil problems, but other than that nothing. They have an ubundance of power, 170 is PLENTY in a Jetta, and they get bolted to a conventional Aisin 6 speed autobox. Not sure yet about those.

The air filter is a bigger pain than it should be. Gotta take the whole top cover off, flip it over, and disassemble from there.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:36   #3
TDInownow
Veteran Member

Thanks! This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for. I sincerely doubt they'll put enough miles on the car to get to a timing chain.

Interesting...what's the spec? 504.00? Mobil had listed their 0W-40 as a recommended oil for that engine on their website...I'll have to go back through and do some more digging if they end up with the car. At least the first few changes would be covered, and the dealers (I'd hope, at least) would be a little less prone to screwing up the oil change on a 2.5, especially if they actually take the 5 qts.
'03 Jetta GLS TDI (5M): Gone - 196k @ 45.33 life MPG. Deer Total 05/09. Sold to TDIJetta99.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:37   #4
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDInownow
Thanks! This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for. I sincerely doubt they'll put enough miles on the car to get to a timing chain.

Interesting, Mobil had listed their 0W-40 as a recommended oil for that engine on their website...I'll have to go back through and do some more digging if they end up with the car. At least the first few changes would be free, and the dealers (I'd hope, at least) would be a little less prone to screwing up the oil change on a 2.5.
The spec is 502.00, and Mobil 0w40 meets that spec, but VW still lists 5w40 as the preferred weight. I am sure 0w40 would not hurt it though. We run Pentosin 5w40 in them, no problems so far.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:45   #5
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see fuelly

I was going to say we sold out 2.5 because our friend who works at the dealer we bought it from told us they'd had a rabbit and jetta 2.5 come in with jumped timing, trashed engines! I'm sure that's rare, but the chain tensioner will probably be the biggest concern on it. It was a decent motor but poor fuel economy if you ask me, our jeep outdoes it every road trip.
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:06   #6
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Trading a five cylinder 2.5 turbo with an aisin box for another 2.5 five cylinder with an aisin box!

I've never tried the VW 5cylinder (assume its the old Audi unit) but I've never liked the Volvo 5 cylinder. Always sounded and felt rough.
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:59   #7
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

The 5 cylinder is a new engine, not related to the old 5 cylinder audi motor (which was a 1.8l VW motor + 1 cylinder )

-Jason
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:24   #8
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85
The 5 cylinder is a new engine, not related to the old 5 cylinder audi motor (which was a 1.8l VW motor + 1 cylinder )

-Jason
Actually, it was originally a 2.4L 6 cyl - one cyl.

But yes, the new one is an all-new design.
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:36   #9
tdisky
Veteran Member

The 2.5 isn't especially economical (like our TDIs) nor is it especially powerful (like the 2.0T). I believe the 2.0T even gets slightly better EPA highway economy (like 1 mpg) than the 2.5.

If I couldn't get a TDI, I'd definitely get the 2.0T. My wife's CC has one, and it's impressive (er, for a gasser, that is).

I drove a 2.5 Wabbit dealer loaner and while a nice car, I thought the engine was dull. I stomped on the gas, with good effect, but got yelled at by my wife - but honey, this is a scientific experiement!
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:45   #10
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

Our 05.5 never got better than 27mpg highway at any point in 34,000 miles.

Our Liberty got 30mpg (29.87) the first trip to the beach.

Both do 22 city.

I work with several 2.0Ts, they get 26-32 pretty constantly, 32 is greater than 27.

But the 2.0T takes premium.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:19   #11
TDInownow
Veteran Member

In this particular case, regarding the JSW, it's a pretty hefty premium to go 2.0T. I want to say that optioned like mine is (plus AT) the MSRP breakdown was like $25200 / $27700 / $28900 for SE / TDI / SEL. Now, I understand that also includes real leather on the SEL, but that's not really something my inlaws are concerned with, as long as it's not cloth (S).

Looks like locating might be a concern...I would have imagined they're easier to come by than the TDIs, but there aren't a ton of JSW SEs kicking around, at least around here.
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:30   #12
oilhammer

Now the 2.0t, DOES have some issues. The older one, anyways. The newer one is still too new for me to have any data.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:32   #13
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

Yeah seems the 2.0Ts ear cam followers (hey, a gas engine and the TDI have something in common!)

I didn't know the S trim was cloth! Is that across the board or only the wagon?

Remember that 81% of all wagons sold in June were TDIs.....
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:48   #14
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Mine has 30k on it. I feed it 0-40 oil and regular gas. It seems to pretty solid. Never get more than 22 in town or 30 on highway. Nothing broke yet except glove box latch. I bought a coil pack and threw it in my kit with bulbs and fuses...only $21 and it pays to be prepared.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:15   #15
oilhammer

LOL. I hardly think we can blame the engine for the glove box latch.